Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2004   #1
texansfan88
All Pro

Default Houston Bowl will effect Texans play this weekend

They are tearing up that grass big time
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Wow, totally forgot about that one.

Fully expect to see complaints again from opposing teams players.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

That field is terrible. I really hope they put in field turf next year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #4
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

last i checked the browns have to play on the same surface
Old 12-29-2004   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I hate to say it, but I think you're right. I love the idea of playing on grass, but it's just not working here. I'd hate to see the players get injured Sunday because of this stuff. I know Casserly has studied the field turf issue as far back as last year when the Saints put theirs in (about 2 weeks too late for Seth Payne).
Old 12-29-2004   #6
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's rare that I see a football game at Reliant on tv. The field looks bad in person. It looks even worse on the tube.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #7
Panther5407
All Pro

I wasn't to happy with the pick ax in the ground either.
Old 12-29-2004   #8
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
I wasn't to happy with the pick ax in the ground either.
Funny

Even though the field does look kinda worn, I still like the idea that they are playing on real grass, that adds a little more style to the games IMO. Even though it will never rain because of the retractable roof I like to see muddy games or when people get driven into the turf and have a chunck of grass stuck on their helmet. I like that i can tell how much pressure we've got on the QB by the grass stains on his jersey. I think real grass fields are on of the last things left from the old school smashmouth glory days of the NFL.
Old 12-29-2004   #9
dan7
Veteran

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food

Agreed....the sooner the better!
Old 12-29-2004   #10
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Dang, I never thought about the turf. After this one, there will be yet more complaints to the media about our turf.

Our facilities are way too awesome have those kind of complaints. They've got to get this taken care of next year.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek281
After this one, there will be yet more complaints to the media about our turf.

And the worst thing about it is that the media will be right. Reliant is a palace. It's the kind of football stadium that makes you suck in your breath the first time you walk into it. It's literally the perfect stadium to watch football in with not a single bad seat in the house. There's nothing wrong with Reliant except for the abysmal looking field.

FIELD TURF!, FIELD TURF!, FIELD TURF!, FIELD TURF! (come on, everybody join in and lets make enough noise to wake up the Texans and get this done)

Seriously, someone needs to start a letter writing campaign or something. They're so focused on trying to do this 100% right (which is a good thing in most ways) that they can't see the one idea that isn't working.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #12
Texizgreat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Texizgreat Send a message via Yahoo to Texizgreat

OK i am an i d i o t..... can some one explaine the diff between Grass and "Field Turf" to me please

Thanks
Eric
Texizgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #13
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

i was at work and i noticed the same thing about the field... do you think they'll re surface it or just keep it all torn up?
Old 12-29-2004   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texizgreat
OK i am an i d i o t..... can some one explaine the diff between Grass and "Field Turf" to me please

Thanks
Eric
Field turf is fake, grass is real.

But its a life-like fake, much better than astro-turf.

The fact is, real grass does not work in Reliant Stadium.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

This link explains it

http://physics.unl.edu/outreach/fp_media/turf.html

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #16
Harry Biped
Rookie

Yeah, sure the field looks terrible now, but remember how good it looked for the 1st preseason game ever played there against Miami. It was too cool, especially with the painted end zones. I wish they could find a way to make the natural surface work, but clearly they have to make a improvement one way or another. Especially since Reliant Stadium is in the running for the 2009 Superbowl. The field looked horrible before the game started tonight, I can only imagine what shape it is in now. The thing that I don't get is why it always seems to be wet.
Harry Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #17
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

I was at that first game against Miami and the grass looked awesome. (It had that new car smell too. )

whooaaa, just so the highlights of the Houston Bowl on sports center. The grass didn't look too great. The middle was horrible and it kind of reminded me of a well used golf course with divets every where.

I also didn't like seeing the pick axe being driven into the ground.

Man, I went to a lot of games at the dome as a kid and I hated how fake every thing was. The grass, the Air Conditioning, soft seats, etc. It wasn't FOOTBALL. I really liked how now we have the open air and the real grass. I don't want to let that go unless there is no way to make grass work. Keep it real.

But I will admit I don't know much about Field Turf so maybe that is a better option.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004   #18
Demon
Rookie

My vote: keep real grass. I hate artificial grass. Been there - done that.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Bah - just hook up some humongus mirrors to the top of the stadium and direct the sun into the stadium to allow the grass to grow.

... okay, maybe not.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw about a quarter of the game and the field did look chewed up.

They should ditch that bowl. The empty stadium looked far worse to me than the grass.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read