Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should Kubes Keep His Job After This Year??
Yes....Keep Him 125 85.62%
No...Can Him 21 14.38%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2008   #1
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubes...Another year or not?

I'd like to get a gauge on how we're thinking. I don't really want to start a huge (I am easily bored) debate on the merits either way.

And please don't be the one to post "We could get Bill Cowher" either.

I read someone in the paper say Kubes was learning under fire (along those lines) and that may be the case. He's not gonna get worse. I have been in my field for 20 years and learn new things all of the time. Constantly!

I think Kubes could become a great one if he's given the time. I ain't waitin' another 5 years. I think we're getting closer and are on the brink of respectability.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubes...Another year or not?

Hey, we could get Bill Cowher!

Sorry, man. Couldn't help myself.
Old 11-07-2008   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

the only opinion that matters is Mr. McNair's, and I don't believe he wants to be the kind of owner who churns through coachs every few years.

he'll give Kubiak the time he needs, and I'm ok with that as well.

like many others here, there has to be some serious looks at the defensive side and see if the problems are coaching or talent. I lean towards a mix of both.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #4
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Hey, we could get Bill Cowher!

Sorry, man. Couldn't help myself.

That's the solution right there.

I say give Pubes one more year after this season, if he still can't get this team headed in the right direction and win a game on the road, hit the bricks.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history. I'd rather go down that road than get a new coach every six years.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #6
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak isn't going anywhere this year - McNair won't even entertain the thought. There has been progress - maybe not fast enough - but progress is being made. Kubiak may have to suffer through a "winning season for 2009 or else" speech - but he will still be here. I think K has the potential to be an excellent coach - he just needs time (management) and a few more good players.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I go back and forth on this one. At this point, I'm afraid the bad outweighs the good.

Seems like the problems that we're having this year are the same problems that we've always had since the franchise started up.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2008   #8
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

What Kubiak needs to do is show some cohones and Fire Richard Smith!
Old 11-07-2008   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
He should have done that after his first season.
Old 11-07-2008   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Exactly. He's done his job, he made this offense one of the best in the league. When did we ever 20 points consistently with Capers? It's the defense that's the problem.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #11
Dean 74
Rookie

hmm.
sherman goin nowhere fast. is kubes next up for aggieland?
Dean 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Exactly. He's done his job, he made this offense one of the best in the league. When did we ever 20 points consistently with Capers? It's the defense that's the problem.
If he were the offensive coordinator, he would have done his job. Since he's the head coach, his job is to make both sides of the ball better.

I hold him responsible for not canning Richard Smith 2 years ago when it was obvious he wasn't NFL caliber.
Old 11-07-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Kubiak? LOL. Sure why not... while we're at it let's go ahead and fire Alex Gibbs because the enterior of our OL is getting manhandled every play.

The truth is, this team is light years better than it was 3 years ago. Wins are the most important thing when it comes to football, as it should be, but this isn't the Oakland Raiders. If you give a coach a crap team, the majority of the time it's going to take some time to build them up especially when you swith offense and defensive schemes requiring new personnel.

Our offense is close to being one of the best in the league. Stats-wise, we're already there but I think we still need some improvement on the OL and another RB before we are REALLY a top 5 offense. Defensively, we need some major help. Not only do we need better players (which they are slowly getting without breaking the bank) but they need time to mature. All our "star" players we have on the Defense have an average age of 23 (Mario, Amobi, Demeco, Diles, Bennett, Dunta). I know we all expect these guys to come in and immediately dominate the game but we have to be realistic here. If we go heavy on Defense this draft and offseason (Nnamdi Asomaghaquahaha from the raiders) we'll still have a young D LOADED with talent and when they develop in another couple years, it will be an incredible D to pair up with an already prolific offense.

Give Kubiak some more time. I'm glad McNair doesn't have some knee jerk reactions like many of the fans do.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #14
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted yes but with an asterik that would denote firing Richard Smith instead.
alphajoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "Can him." I had to impose a 24-hour ban upon myself, to cool down, because (as a fan) I am just at a breaking point with our HC. It's proper to be supportive of your leaders, I understand that. But this is year 3...and I only wonder what's going to happen if we load up for year 4 with Schaub and Sage again. Help me to see how it goes better in year 4.

I've seen all I need to see. No need to cross my fingers and hope he figures stuff out. He's making bone-headed decisions with the game clock, challenge flags (when to throw and when to hold), and the handling of our active roster for QB is stupid: Only carry two QBs? We went into the Indy game with Sage and, well...err...umm...Sage because Schaub was too ill and therefore Owen Daniels would have been QB if something had happened to Sage. How is that even remotely a smart coaching strategy?

His road record is awful, too.

He can't inspire his team to beat the beatable teams, and he can't inspire them to beat the teams that are better than us...even if it was a low percentage, let's say every 1 out of three times we beat is a team better than us, he still can't do it. Give me 30% winning percentage on the teams that are better than us and I'm listening. Have we approached that yet?

He signed off on, and I suppose he actually WANTED, Richard Smith for defensive coordinator. That's a major indictment against Kubiak right there. And he continues to stick with Richard Smith after 2 1/2 seasons of the worst defensive strategy I have seen in a long time by an NFL d-coordinator.

But, hey...no need to actually put Kubiak's errors under a microscope here. He's learning on the job! But, what is he learning if he's still doing the same wrong thing(s) week in and week and out?

1. Fire your d-coordinator

2. Carry three QBs on the active roster, Weaver or Travis Johnson can sit as far as I am concerned in order to free up a spot or two (Cochran and Bulman are handling things just fine)

3. Drop the playcalling sheet, Gary, and be a leader of the team.

4. Admit that Schaub and Sage are not getting it done. Move on. Go grab a legitimate youngster in the draft and let him learn from Schaub in Schaub's third year next season. We can't afford to go QB in a trade (again) that involves draft picks--That idea was a dud. The new QB has to be a draft pick, or a free agent picked up for anything other than draft pick compensation.

I'm afraid that hoping Gary Kubiak will make it as a HC here is like hoping Matt Schaub will make it here as a QB: Two guys who were close to sealing the deal, but can't. I don't hate 'em for it. But they've made some cash, and as Gary says "Through adversity comes opportunity..." I hope Gary gets his opportunity sooner rather than later.

I've said since this time last year that Gary is a guy who stopped the bleeding (caused by Capers) and he's put the team in a spot for another HC to come in and propel this team to the next level. It's similar, to me, to what happened when Dungy left TB for Indy: He took an average Colts team from Mora and took it up a notch. I think someone comes along and does that after Kubiak leaves. And maybe kubiak goes somewhere and it clicks for him.

But I just don't get excited about this team anymore. The bloom was off the Gary Kubiak and Matt Shcaub rose, for me, by the midway part of last season.

Last edited by GP; 11-07-2008 at 09:34 AM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean 74 View Post
hmm.
sherman goin nowhere fast. is kubes next up for aggieland?
Dear Mr. Franchione,

Thanks for all the help recruiting the quality studs you've left me with, this is already such an outstanding football team. How can I even make it better!?

Signed,

Mike Sherman
Old 11-07-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I voted "Can him." I had to impose a 24-hour ban upon myself, to cool down, because (as a fan) I am just at a breaking point with our HC. It's proper to be supportive of your leaders, I understand that. But this is year 3...and I only wonder what's going to happen if we load up for year 4 with Schaub and Sage again. Help me to see how it goes better in year 4.

I've seen all I need to see. No need to cross my fingers and hope he figures stuff out. He's making bone-headed decisions with the game clock, challenge flags (when to throw and when to hold), and the handling of our active roster for QB is stupid: Only carry two QBs? We went into the Indy game with Sage and, well...err...umm...Sage because Schaub was too ill and therefore Owen Daniels would have been QB if something had happened to Sage. How is that even remotely a smart coaching strategy?

His road record is awful, too.

He can't inspire his team to beat the beatable teams, and he can't inspire them to beat the teams that are better than us...even if it was a low percentage, let's say every 1 out of three times we beat is a team better than us, he still can't do it. Give me 30% winning percentage on the teams that are better than us and I'm listening. Have we approached that yet?

He signed off on, and I suppose he actually WANTED, Richard Smith for defensive coordinator. That's a major indictment against Kubiak right there. And he continues to stick with Richard Smith after 2 1/2 seasons of the worst defensive strategy I have seen in a long time by an NFL d-coordinator.

But, hey...no need to actually put Kubiak's errors under a microscope here. He's learning on the job! But, what is he learning if he's still doing the same wrong thing(s) week in and week and out?

1. Fire your d-coordinator

2. Carry three QBs on the active roster, Weaver or Travis Johnson can sit as far as I am concerned in order to free up a spot or two (Cochran and Bulman are handling things just fine)

3. Drop the playcalling sheet, Gary, and be a leader of the team.

4. Admit that Schaub and Sage are not getting it done. Move on. Go grab a legitimate youngster in the draft and let him learn from Schaub in Schaub's third year next season. We can't afford to go QB in a trade (again) that involves draft picks--That idea was a dud. The new QB has to be a draft pick, or a free agent picked up for anything other than draft pick compensation.

I'm afraid that hoping Gary Kubiak will make it as a HC here is like hoping Matt Schaub will make it here as a QB: Two guys who were close to sealing the deal, but can't. I don't hate 'em for it. But they've made some cash, and as Gary says "Through adversity comes opportunity..."
Year one: 6-10
Year two: 8-8
Year three: 3-5 (annualized to a 6-10 record)
-so regressing in the W/L column one year requires firing? Even though last year we would have been 7-9 if Jacksonville would have decided they wanted to play hard for 5 minutes. You say he can't inspire the team to beat the beatable teams... yet we just went on a 3 game winning streak for the 1st time in franchise history against the beatable teams.
-This season the team has done a really good job of NOT committing penalties. That's something they worked on A LOT in the offseason.
- Turnovers is another biggie, so far our QB's have turned the ball over too much. That's really the only (or biggest) thing holding this offense back which is doing so great even with them. What if Schaub corrects this problem, even just a little bit? Year 4 will be amazing.
- I think Frank Bush is the guy Kubiak really wants for the Defense and I think soon enough he'll get the nod.

You've raised some pretty good points that need to be worked on. I think that's exactly what it is though, a list to improve on and things that can definitely get taken care of.. thus not requiring a firing.. but that's just me.
Old 11-07-2008   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends on how we finish the season. 5-11 or worse = goodbye. 6-10 or better=one more shot
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
The Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history. I'd rather go down that road than get a new coach every six years.
They were all good coaches though

New coaches have really turned around teams this year (Miami, Baltimore, Washington, even St. Louis). Payton and Mangini also out performed Kubes in their first years and look to be doing so again.

If we had a shot at Spagnulo from the Giants I don't know how we could pass it up.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am in the keep Kubiac crowd but if something isn't done about the DC area after this season. I am afraid that it will be Gary's undoing
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read