Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2008   #21
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video: Both Jared Allen Low Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Thanks! I was trying to be nice.

Here are parts of the blog entry.

I'm glad that has been clarified. However, I'd think playing bad as a unit is almost as ineffective as playing bad as individuals.

A) Darn those skill position players!

B) Yes, football is a complex sport. Believe it or not, many of us work in fields with even more complexity. We have big brains too; I doubt we are as dumb as you seem to think.

http://blogs.chron.com/chesterpitts/...sidered_1.html

===================
Chester is always about Chester. He could have been a team leader, or at least a leader on the o-line, but I doubt he is.
I would like to hear his explanation of the last two plays in the Vikings game. I guess the QB should of gotten rid of the ball in that whopping .09 tenths ofa second he had before he got nailed.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

It's THURSDAY after the game, and finally the Jared Allen story becomes more of a story in the mainstream media.

Vikings paper:

Quote:
Jared Allen didn't mince words responding to Houston coach Gary Kubiak's claim that the Vikings defensive end made questionable dives at quarterback Matt Schaub's knees on Sunday.

Schaub suffered an injury to his medial collateral ligament on a low hit by Allen. Allen, who said he talked to Schaub after the game, denied that it was dirty.

Allen called the NFL a "grown man's sport" and bemoaned the personal foul penalty on the New York Giants' Justin Tuck for his hard hit on Dallas quarterback Brooks Bollinger last week.

"That's how we're taught to tackle people," Allen said Wednesday. "We play a violent game, and we all know when we sign our names on that dotted line that there are going to be injuries, there is going to be pain. That's what we do. It makes us feel alive. And then for us to get punished for it is kind of one of those things where you're like, 'Whatever.'

"Maybe they want to protect the quarterback because they want to say it's an offensive-driven league. Well, I don't believe in that. I play defense. I believe this is a defensive-driven league.
From the Chronic:

Quote:
Texans quarterback Matt Schaub didn’t exonerate Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen when asked if he had been the victim of a cheap shot that caused him to suffer a torn medial collateral ligament in last Sunday’s 28-21 loss to the Vikings.

“Well, I think it was,” Schaub said. “The ball was already gone, and a player (Allen) went for my leg, which isn’t what they’re supposed to be doing. That’s all I can say.”
“I don’t even know who the hell he (Kubiak) is,” Allen said when Minnesota reporters asked him about the Texans’ sending the plays to the league. “He’s obviously upset he lost his quarterback, but that’s part of the game.

“To be honest, I didn’t even know he got hurt on that (second-quarter hit). He stayed in. I talked to him after the game. I asked him, ‘Are you doing all right?’ He said, ‘I got my MCL.’ I was like, ‘My bad.’ It’s never on purpose.

“I was actually slipping. I was just going to try to wrap his legs up. I said, ‘Well, you guys got my shoulder.’ ”

Guard Chester Pitts hit Allen so hard on one play the defensive end suffered a separated shoulder.

After the game, a Houston television cameraman caught Allen apologizing to Schaub.

“You all right?” Allen said to Schaub. “I didn’t mean to hit you. I didn’t mean to hit your knee like that. I came back (inaudible) falling forward. I was slipping, and I was like (expletive). If it makes you feel better, Pitts separated my shoulder.”

Personally, I think Jared Allen's head needs to be separated from his body.

He's sorry, but he's not sorry. His explanation is garbage. Whoops I slipped into hitting you low? He's not supposed to be hitting a QB low who isn't running.
Old 11-06-2008   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I would like to hear his explanation of the last two plays in the Vikings game. I guess the QB should of gotten rid of the ball in that whopping .09 tenths ofa second he had before he got nailed.
I think you have to determine if the line played like a unit on those plays. If they were destroyed as a unit, it is a good thing.
Old 11-06-2008   #24
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It's THURSDAY after the game, and finally the Jared Allen story becomes more of a story in the mainstream media.

Vikings paper:

From the Chronic:

He's sorry, but he's not sorry. His explanation is garbage. Whoops I slipped into hitting you low? He's not supposed to be hitting a QB low who isn't running.
Gotta give Pitts his props. That's a nice shout-out from one lineman to another.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #25
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Vikings paper:

From the Chronic:

So which is it? You either are taught to tackle like that or it was an accident? He did slip on the ground and then he lunged at Schuab diving head-fist into his knee. What a piece of crap he knew what he did was wrong and he tried to be Mr Nice to make sure he was not penalized by the league and now after the tapes are sent and he thinks the hammer is coming he acts like of F'n well?

There are a whole bunch of conflicting reports and comments.
Old 11-06-2008   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Gotta give Pitts his props. That's a nice shout-out from one lineman to another.
I think the Chron is wrong (imagine that), it was Briesal that drilled Allen and seperated his shoulder.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #27
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

What burns me is that he knew Schaub was hurt and did it again. IMO, the first hit was probably worse, but the second one was more obviously intentional.

Way to go Pitts!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2008   #28
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

Its also on the front page of ESPN or NFL.com can't remember but its All saying it wasn't cheap.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #29
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the Chron is wrong (imagine that), it was Briesal that drilled Allen and seperated his shoulder.
Allen was on the other side of the line
Old 11-06-2008   #30
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my writeup on it:

Jared Allen Says Low Hits on Matt Schaub Not Dirty; Schaub Ain't Buying It

Quote:
It doesn't help his argument much that two low hits were "oops, my bad," when on the same day he is saying he doesn't believe in rules designed to protect the quarterback, and that causing injuries and pain makes him feel alive.
Please put a few Texans-centric comments over there early on the post. The early comments stay on the front page.
Old 11-06-2008   #31
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

http://www.sportsradio610.com/Drivetime-Players/151267

You can catch Erik Winston's take on the hit on the podcast there. I recommend listening to his show weekly, he's a great radio guy.
Old 11-06-2008   #32
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
So which is it? You either are taught to tackle like that or it was an accident? He did slip on the ground and then he lunged at Schuab diving head-fist into his knee. What a piece of crap he knew what he did was wrong and he tried to be Mr Nice to make sure he was not penalized by the league and now after the tapes are sent and he thinks the hammer is coming he acts like of F'n well?

There are a whole bunch of conflicting reports and comments.
Great post.

#1 You cant say we are taught to tackle like this, and then say he was slipping which caused him to go low.

#2 Going up to Schaub an apologizing for a low hit is because he felt bad about it and knows he did something bad.

Now he wants to get all huffy because Kubiak is bringing his actions into the spotlight.

Players need to know that diving for a QB's legs is dangerous and they need to be more aware of their actions. We have rules like this for a reason. To keep the QB from getting seriously injured and sitting on the bench for a year.

Also, to respond to his "this game is defensively driven" is just stupid. The Cowboys Bucs game was really really boring. Hardly any action, just 3 and outs, punts and QB's sucking it up. People want to see big time touchdowns, and Brooks Bolinger aint giving the fans those.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #33
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, indeed. I rewatched it. It was actually Mike Brisiel (#65) who hit him.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
http://www.sportsradio610.com/Drivetime-Players/151267

You can catch Erik Winston's take on the hit on the podcast there. I recommend listening to his show weekly, he's a great radio guy.
Thanks for the link.

In it, he says that it would have been worth a fine/expulsion to retaliate if they had seen what had happened to Schaub as it happened. But the linemen didn't see what happened at the time.

And haha, Winston mentions my YouTube.

Allen can lie all he wants to the public saying that the ball was still in Schaub's hand or that TWO low hits leading with the helmet were accidents that were unavoidable, but I think that the video shows that he is full of it.

And I think the first play didn't get a lot of attention at the time because it was a completion, and the TV coverage didn't do a replay of the hit. The second play got a little more attention even though it was a completion because Schaub got up limping.

I hope Allen keeps talking about it. The more he talks, the worse trouble he gets with Goodell. Goodell doesn't want any smartmouthing about league policies. Allen has already slammed NFL fines against speaking about reffing, saying it is a violation of player's First Amendment rights. (Not knowing of course, that your employer can control your speech without any violation of the First Amendment).
Old 11-06-2008   #35
texan9885
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVP
Thumbs up Re: Video: Both Jared Allen Low Hits

Allen has third-degree sprain
The News
It has been revealed that Jared Allen is dealing with a third-degree shoulder sprain, according to the Star Tribune.
Our View
That is the most serious sprain, and usually indicates a torn ligament. The elite pass rusher doesn’t know if he’ll play on Sunday against the Packers.
texan9885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #36
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan9885 View Post
Allen has third-degree sprain
The News
It has been revealed that Jared Allen is dealing with a third-degree shoulder sprain, according to the Star Tribune.
Our View
That is the most serious sprain, and usually indicates a torn ligament. The elite pass rusher doesn’t know if he’ll play on Sunday against the Packers.
Old 11-06-2008   #37
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey TC, Mariotti and Cowlishaw just addressed this topic on ESPN's Around the Horn. Both agreed that it was, um, less than clean.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #38
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And I think the first play didn't get a lot of attention at the time because it was a completion, and the TV coverage didn't do a replay of the hit. The second play got a little more attention even though it was a completion because Schaub got up limping.......
Actually, CBS did a little montage of the Schaub hits at about the 5:53 mark of the 2nd quarter if you DVR'ed. There's a better shot of hit #1.

It's a amazing how those TV crews can edit/copy/paste so fast....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #39
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 118327 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Hey TC, Mariotti and Cowlishaw just addressed this topic on ESPN's Around the Horn. Both agreed that it was, um, less than clean.
Yeah, I saw that. Then Stat Boy Tony Reali said something like Allen had no way of knowing where the QB was. Noooooooot likely, he just spent the last few seconds trying to get to him. He knew where Schaub would likely be. (Seriously, try this) Run the video again and imagine Schaub was not there at all. Wouldn't look right.

Also, the last thing Allen saw before he himself went down was where Schaub was before he could look up enough to see Schaub again. He went right there seeing the Schaub would still be there.

The NFL needs to look into it. Going after a players legs the way he did deserves a fine and suspension.
Old 11-06-2008   #40
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The NFL needs to look into it. Going after a players legs the way he did deserves a fine and suspension.
They won't. Herr Goodell might be a fascist, but he certainly isn't consistent with his punishment. Ask Hines Ward, then Marshawn Lynch.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read