Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2008   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Video: Both Jared Allen Low Hits

As requested by some, here's a video of BOTH low hits on Matt Schaub. Massive offensive line destruction, but no, that's not good enough. Allen needs to stick a helmet in a knee a couple of times.

More Video on Jared Allen's Low Hits on Matt Schaub: Dirty or Not?

Please leave a brief comment over there if you can. Other ugly knee shots were on ESPN 24 hours a day--Tom Brady, Carson Palmer--but this is a non-story to most of the world. PFT only carried it because they got video of it.

Texans fans represent.
Old 11-05-2008   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Video: Both Jared Allen Low Hits

Left my comment:

I think it's pretty obvious that Allen was not making a conscious effort to avoid a low hit on Schaub.
Old 11-05-2008   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

comments left, and like i said there, it looks even worse when put into that context.
Old 11-05-2008   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely ugly hits on Schaub. But, what bums me out even more is that we still have a craptastic o-line after seven seasons. It sometimes feels like we will never get that most basic of needs fixed on this team. And until we do, expect to see our QBs go down like flies on a regular basis.
Old 11-05-2008   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Definitely ugly hits on Schaub. But, what bums me out even more is that we still have a craptastic o-line after seven seasons. It sometimes feels like we will never get that most basic of needs fixed on this team. And until we do, expect to see our QBs go down like flies on a regular basis.
It's a bunch of placeholders due to availability, bad luck, and previous years of poor training.

The center is an inexperienced Denver reject that they didn't keep even though he was playing behind some old guy. Inexperienced center play can be really exposed on the road.

Briesel. Barely found his way on the team. Is playing because dude ahead of him got a bad broken leg.

Rookie left tackle and an old guy left tackle.

Pitts and Winston are the only traditionally developed players on the line. Drafted decent high. Have some experience.

Really, coming into this season, I thought Alex Gibbs was going to have to perform some miracles with this random bunch.

The play calling also does them no favors when it is heavily weighted toward repeated pass blocking.
Old 11-05-2008   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Please leave a brief comment over there if you can. Other ugly knee shots were on ESPN 24 hours a day--Tom Brady, Carson Palmer--but this is a non-story to most of the world. PFT only carried it because they got video of it.

Texans fans represent.
Brady's knee injury didn't even look like it was intended. That actually looked like a fluke accident. Jared Allen made no attempt to at anything other than the side of Schaub's knee and the media coverage is completely different.

Winning would fix a lot more than the W/L column.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If anything Allen made an attempt to injure Schaub.
Old 11-05-2008   #8
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been steaming about that hit for a while. Hopefully he will at least be fined for it. I have a new hated player and I hope he gets what he deserves. Punk.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On his blog, Chester says he'd put the Texans oline up against the best in the business. He also says great oline play can be hidden by the performance of the skill players. I don't know if he was talking about the Texans or just wanted to use the word "antithesis". It was somewhat convoluted.
Old 11-05-2008   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It's a bunch of placeholders due to availability, bad luck, and previous years of poor training.

The center is an inexperienced Denver reject that they didn't keep even though he was playing behind some old guy. Inexperienced center play can be really exposed on the road.

Briesel. Barely found his way on the team. Is playing because dude ahead of him got a bad broken leg.

Rookie left tackle and an old guy left tackle.

Pitts and Winston are the only traditionally developed players on the line. Drafted decent high. Have some experience.

Really, coming into this season, I thought Alex Gibbs was going to have to perform some miracles with this random bunch.

The play calling also does them no favors when it is heavily weighted toward repeated pass blocking.

I've been happy with Brown but certainly a rookie LT will have his struggles. I've been saying all season that we need an upgrade at C and RG. Frankly, it frustrates me that Frye hasn't been given a shot at RG. He has much more ability than Briesel and Briesel has had his share of whiffs. I thought Frye looked very good at RT this preseason and was being worked to move to RG going into the season.

I don't want to see Studdard there though, that's for sure!!

The nice thing is that interior oline isn't the most challenging position to find in the off-season for a team with a lot of cap room and it looks like a mid round pick in each of the seven rounds.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I've been happy with Brown but certainly a rookie LT will have his struggles. I've been saying all season that we need an upgrade at C and RG. Frankly, it frustrates me that Frye hasn't been given a shot at RG. He has much more ability than Briesel and Briesel has had his share of whiffs. I thought Frye looked very good at RT this preseason and was being worked to move to RG going into the season.

The nice thing is that interior oline isn't the most challenging position to find in the off-season for a team with a lot of cap room and it looks like a mid round pick in each of the seven rounds.

Frye is now a Miami Dolphin. He was claimed off the practice squad.
Old 11-05-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he meant Butler
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

The "cap room" is like the Yeti or Sasquatch. I've heard a lot about both of them, and they seem to get a lot of publicity...but I don't see it in reality.

Bring me the "cap room" corpse, please.

Our President-Elect is allegedly planning to tax professional sports team owners AND the players themselves MORE, so maybe Bob McNair will let go of the extra cash that's made his franchise one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL? Maybe he'll spread it out and get rid of it, instead of hanging onto it and not using it all.

Oh, and here's my link for The Messiah who plans to tax team owners AND players to give us poor people an extra $1,000 or so each year: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3683722

QUOTE BELOW, FROM ARTICLE:

Quote:
On other issues facing the sports industry, Obama views are a bit less certain. However, a review of his campaign statements and position papers as well as ESPN.com interviews with his friends and former colleagues at the University of Chicago indicate that an Obama administration is likely to:

produce major tax increases for team owners and players;

slow sales of professional teams;

increase the powers of player unions;

more vigorously enforce the requirements of Title IX;

and begin to resolve the serious clashes between sports cable networks such as the NFL Network and the Big 10 Network and cable providers such as Comcast.
Old 11-05-2008   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

New Jared Allen video is now up at PFT.

Now let's find out if the league does squat about it.
Old 11-05-2008   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Schaub could have had any less time if there had not of even been 5 guys blocking for him. That D line of Minnys got through so fast it's sick.

BTW, anyone have doubts about Schaubs durability, just look at those clips and know he was still willing to keep playing.

DB is dead on. We have got to get the best o-line we can get or our qb's will either get shellshocked or become permanent fixtures on IR.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i got lucky number seven.
Old 11-05-2008   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
On his blog, Chester says he'd put the Texans oline up against the best in the business. He also says great oline play can be hidden by the performance of the skill players. I don't know if he was talking about the Texans or just wanted to use the word "antithesis". It was somewhat convoluted.
That's almost a 'thrown under the bus' comment from Pitts. He's deflecting any criticism away from the line by saying that they can be compared to the best in the NFL (which is a freakin' joke with no punchline).

I know we are supposed to just sit and watch as members of the football proletariat according to his previous statements. But, something about seeing opposing D-linemen just manhandle our o-line and blow past them on a consistent basis just sticks in this comrade's mind.

I've got respect for an original Texan. But dude is on a consistently under-performing o-line for the past seven seasons. Crap is crap, even when you put sprinkles on it.
Old 11-05-2008   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Jared Allen is right there with Drayton Florence and Albert Haynesworth. Whatever.

Anyways, I think it's going to be telling what happens with the NFL. Did Bernard Pollack get any sort of fine?
Old 11-05-2008   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

What about he horse collar tackle on Sage at the end of the game. Am I the only one tha noticed this?

On another note, I know our Defense has been bad and we need help on every level (DE, OLB, S, C) but until we get O Lineman that can stop penetration on a regular basis we are going to have trouble keeping our QB's upright and injury free. This needs to be adressed before anything else whether that means picking up someone in FA or the draft.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's almost a 'thrown under the bus' comment from Pitts. He's deflecting any criticism away from the line by saying that they can be compared to the best in the NFL (which is a freakin' joke with no punchline).

I know we are supposed to just sit and watch as members of the football proletariat according to his previous statements. But, something about seeing opposing D-linemen just manhandle our o-line and blow past them on a consistent basis just sticks in this comrade's mind.

I've got respect for an original Texan. But dude is on a consistently under-performing o-line for the past seven seasons. Crap is crap, even when you put sprinkles on it.
Thanks! I was trying to be nice.

Here are parts of the blog entry.

Quote:
There are many factors that have to be considered with offensive line play. First and foremost, how well we play as a unit. That's reality, but perception is all about how many sacks we give up or penalties we get called on us. Other factors are game plan, how well we run the ball, and just the overall flow of the game.
I'm glad that has been clarified. However, I'd think playing bad as a unit is almost as ineffective as playing bad as individuals.

Quote:
There is a two way street with everything. A team with really good skilled players that make a lot of plays can make an offensive line look great, but the antithesis to that is a great offensive line doesn't guarantee lots of yards and no sacks. All 11 guys on offense share the responsibility of limiting sacks. The majority falls on the linemens shoulders.

Receivers run and catch HOT routes and quarterback's have the ultimate authority of it all. On where and who we are assigned to block, making throws where they need to go and on time. Bet you never would have thought that football was this complex? As long as the quarterback play is great, like we have had, and he gets passes thrown on time, then we look great! If not, it is the complete opposite.
A) Darn those skill position players!

B) Yes, football is a complex sport. Believe it or not, many of us work in fields with even more complexity. We have big brains too; I doubt we are as dumb as you seem to think.

http://blogs.chron.com/chesterpitts/...sidered_1.html

===================
Chester is always about Chester. He could have been a team leader, or at least a leader on the o-line, but I doubt he is.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read