Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rose Bowl

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Great game. Edwards is better than I thought also. He looks like a legit NFL WR.

Unless Benson is injured, why does everyone think he's so great ? But Vince
Young, this guy could end up being the second coming of M.Vick. And the
Michigan CB(Jackson), wouldn't mind having him. A lot of talent out there this afternoon.

The Braylon Edwards show has show has been fun to watch, the young man is definitly helping his draft stock. V. Young is once again proving the that the comparisons to Vick are a bit far fetched; Vick can pass Young relaly can't.

Baas has looked good, but not nearly as good as Eslinger looked yesterday. And I really like the way Shazor plays/

Benson may be on the board when our turn comes around in the first round -
whether we draft mid or high teens. The guy just doesn' have the speed to be
that imposing in the NFL.

If VY had palyed at Nedraska say a decade ago he whould have won multiple Heismans. It's unreal how fast, strong and smooth he is.

As for wonger's comments, I assume you mean in recent years; cuase I'd can name several HUGE games they've won.

If Texas loses this game it is because of their kick teams. They have given Michigan the ball at midfield all evening.

This is Vince Young's coming out party, thats for sure. First time he has stepped up in a big game that I have seen.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:shocked :shocked

I just had this feeling - right there at the end - that for once, Texas wasn't going to fall short.

I'm so relieved for poor Dusty Mangum. That's a lot of pressure on one person.

I just got a big Dusty Magnum right in my rear

GO SOONERS THEY WILL WIN THE NATIONAL TITLE, THIS ROSE BOWL WIN GETS BITTER SOON...ERSSS

Congrats Horns.

Braylon Edwards is the son of former Oilers RB Stan Edwards #32? btw.

The Iowa - LSU game was pretty good too. Baytown Lee product Drew Tate (true soph) threw a long TD pass as time ran out to win the game. Too bad the Ags got rolled otw it would have been a really great weekend considering what Tech did to Cal.

Great game amazing, 5 total TDs for VY, other than dusty he was the only one to score, those Michigan players were too concerned on shutting down Benson. They held him in check but didnt have enogh left over for Vince. I see him as the second coming of Vick for sure, did you see how he took over that game. It came down to the wire. :whew Vince was even throwing the ball extremely well this game(the receivers dropped alot of balls).

HOOKEM':coolb:

Hook em Horns! What a game! And what an outstanding effort from both programs; well played game, well coached and fun for the fans from beginning to end. Proud of my Horns this evening! :coolb:

All these Vincent Young haters just line up. I can't think of a bigger stage (except maybe a Nation Title game itself) to come up big in. First Rose Bowl ever for the school and to come up with a performance like that is stuff of legends. If Young can get more accurate on his short to mid range passing game, i'll be the first to say it, he'll be better than Vick. He simply refused to let that team lose. Hats off to the Longhorns, Coach Brown, and Vincent Young. Great Win!

aj. said:
The Iowa - LSU game was pretty good too. Baytown Lee product Drew Tate (true soph) threw a long TD pass as time ran out to win the game. Too bad the Ags got rolled otw it would have been a really great weekend considering what Tech did to Cal.

The Iowa LSU game was great. I thought for sure that LSU had the game in the bag after that penalty, but sure enough Iowa made a terrific play when Tate found an open reciever who ran it in for a TD. Not exactly a "Flutie Pass", but it was definately a great ending to a very good game.

Vince Young is not a QB. He has the worst throwing motion. He is NO Mike Vick. If he wants to go pro, it will be for WR, or S. He did a great job running the ball though. And if he did go to the NFL as a QB, he wouldnt break one, of the 20 missed tackles on him this evening.

Benson was held in check by a good front 4.

Edwards had a great game and really helped his draft stock. But at the same time I have to dock him for playing against DB's who couldnt cover anyone.

Where was R. Wright? Didnt make a damn play. Even Johnson was held in check.

But overall great great game. Loved every second of it. Hook em.

they did a great job on johnson. they way to take johnson out of the game is to run at him with a line of guys that are all over 300 lbs. vince showed that he is learning how to play the game. he finally realized that he doesn't have to force to ball into coverage. on countless times this season he could have done what he did tonight but instead he threw a horrible pass or an int. its not the short passing game that he needs to work on becuase outside of a few balls behind the wr he was on (they dropped alot, not used to having the ball thrown in the right spot :rofl: ) what he needs to work on is some sort of mid to long range passing game to make it almost impossible to load the box to stop the run. tonight he didn't show that he was a good qb or even in mike vick's league as a qb, but he showed that he doesn't have to be to be able to dominate a game, and that he might be a better runner than vick is.

NFL linebackers might let one or two runs slip by, but overall NFL linebackers would keep VY in check. I said this 2 years ago and I still think it will happen. If Vick cannot win a SB by year 7 and does not improve his passing, then he will not win one. QBs have to pass the ball well. Running the ball is the RB's job. The closest a QB should come to running is knowing how to scamble to buy time for a bad OL or busted play or scoot for a couple yards. It is just my opinion.

On to better things. I heard this Aaron Harris persons name many times last night. Is Johnson not as good as advertised? I thought Harris was the better of the two. This may have been because of double teams. I am just not sure.

I think Cedric was hurt, but should still be a top 5 pick. I would love to have him instead of DD. or both in the backfield :hmmm:

DC_ROCK said:
Vince Young is not a QB. He has the worst throwing motion. He is NO Mike Vick. If he wants to go pro, it will be for WR, or S. He did a great job running the ball though. And if he did go to the NFL as a QB, he wouldnt break one, of the 20 missed tackles on him this evening.

Wow not true at all IMO. Who cares about throwing motion that didnt stop Carr and Philip Rivers fro becomeing top QB picks, and if you remember VY made some good throws this game, but his receivers kept on dropping the passes, Jeffery dropped one Benson dropped one , the TE dropped one and he still had a pretty good passer rating maybe its just me but i agree with the ESPN analysts when they say he can be one of the best QBs in the nation and the top athlete ovr all.

well carr and rivers were able to put up huge numbers with those wierd motions and scouts thought they could change that and still be very productive. young isn't very productive with his natural throwing motion what makes you think that if he changes it, it will magically make him as good as dave and pillip? vince isn't a nfl qb, really isn't a college qb, but once again i don't think he has to be to dominate. also you can change his motion but that doesn't make him read defenses better.

Vince Young threw only limited times this year, but the stats say he is a decent enough passer. You forget he also had the best RB in college football, a young reciever core, and a team that ran the ball 80% of the plays.

When he did throw, he completed 59% of his passes at a 7.5ypa. 11TDs and 10INTs Adding in that he also rushed for over 1,000 yds(over 6ypc) and for 14 TDs.

Vince Young is a Sophomore Those are ridiculous stats for a senior to put up, and he has two years left to develop in college. He has been getting better with every game, and with the help of more experienced WRs, he will get alot better.

Fantastic game!!

I think Young will be forced to throw more next year. The team might take a step back. However, I think his senior year will be amazing.

Has UT ever won a big game?

No, they haven't. Because according to everybody that doesn't like UT, if they win against a stong opponent, it's because they have so much talent that they were supposed to win. So that's not a big game. In any game that they lose, it's a big game because the critics only have a couple of times a year where they can throw shots at UT.

A good example is Arkansas. Last year Texas lost at home to Arkansas. "Texas can't win the big game". This year Texas beats Arkansas at home but there's no mention of Texas "winning a big game".

See how that works? So if you ask the critics, this wasn't a big game because Texas should've won. If you ask those with a clue, Texas has won several big games under Mack Brown. None of them include beating OU so the others get ignored.

Cedric Benson will not be a top 5 pick. But that has nothing to do with the Rose Bowl. He's been a productive college RB but that doesn't translate into top 5 NFL pick. How low did the first RB get taken last year...late 20s? Benson not going in the top 5 is not a reflection of his abilities...just a sign of the times. High draft picks just aren't spent on RBs anymore (see why Dallas passed on every RB, dropped down and picked up Julius Jones in the 2nd). If he does get picked in the top 5 (or top 10), it will have to be considered a reach.

Derrick Johnson is a better LB than Aaron Harris. And that's saying a lot because Aaron Harris is my favorite player on Texas' defense. Even when he's (Johnson) quiet, he's still making plays though (caused NCAA record 9th fumble in the Rose). Michigan did a good job of neutralizing him. That's more credit to Michigan than blame on Johnson.

Young should not be a top pick as a QB but that has nothing to do with his throwing motion. His passing stats should also not be a hinder because he doesn't throw the ball 30 times a game (although he has had success when he's done this). He just doesn't have the accuracy. And I'm one that's always believed that accruacy is either something you have or don't. It doesn't have a lot to do with your throwing motion. Carr's completion percentage has consistly gone up the last 3 years. Does anybody think this is because his throwing motion has changed? I don't.

Last night's game could be a springboard as long as Texas doesn't lose too many more coaches (Tomey has left to head coach San Jose St., Haywood has left to OC Notre Dame).

In the end, I'm ecstatic. If you've seen the Pepsi commercial where the guy gets his hands caught in the ceiling, that's me after Mangum's kick went through (even after getting tipped).

Huge said:
Cedric Benson will not be a top 5 pick. But that has nothing to do with the Rose Bowl. He's been a productive college RB but that doesn't translate into top 5 NFL pick. How low did the first RB get taken last year...late 20s? Benson not going in the top 5 is not a reflection of his abilities...just a sign of the times. High draft picks just aren't spent on RBs anymore (see why Dallas passed on every RB, dropped down and picked up Julius Jones in the 2nd). If he does get picked in the top 5 (or top 10), it will have to be considered a reach.

I completely disagree with this statement. The RB class last year was not good, coupled with the fact that it was a deep draft everywhere else.

Three RBs could go in the top 15 this year. Kiper has the top three prospects as: Benson, Cadillac, and Brown. This will be similiar to many other teams draft boards.

Expect a RB to go in the top 5, and I would bet it will be Benson.

Steven Jackson (1st round) - 134 carries, 673 yards, 5.0 avg.
Kevin Jones (1st round) - 241 carries, 1133 yards, 4.7 avg.
Julius Jones (2nd round) - 197 carries, 819 yards, 4.2 avg.
Tatum Bell (2nd round) - 75 carries, 396 yards, 5.3 avg.
Mewelde Moore (4th round) - 65 carries, 379 yards, 5.8 avg.

List doesn't include 1st rounder Chris Perry that played behind Rudi Johnson.

I completely disagree with the statement that last year's RB class was not a good one. In fact, when you can find 2 "possible" franchise RBs in Bell and J. Jones in the 2nd round, I'd say that's a pretty deep class.

I'd also say that team needs had more to do with Jackson (the first RB taken) falling than his abilities. If Cedric Benson goes in the top 5, it will again be determined more by team needs than his abilities.

Let's imagine that this year the draft order and team needs would be the same as last year. Do you believe Benson would still be a top 5?

San Diego - Ladanian Tomlinson
Oakland - Could use a RB but took franchise LT Robert Gallery
Arizona - Marcel Shipp was healthy and they paid Emmitt big money
NY Giants - Tiki Barber and needed a franchise QB (Manning)
Washington - Clinton Portis

So when you look at the top 5 this year:

1. San Francisco - They'll take a QB if Leinart declares
2. Miami - They need a RB but the need to trade down to pick up additional picks is bigger.
3. Cleveland - W/O an OL, no RB is going to help them.
4. Chicago - Thomas Jones has a big contract.
5. Tampa Bay - Michael Pittman affords them the opportunity to address other areas.

And as much as I disagree with it, RBs that clock 4.5 40s (as Benson will do during his pro day) don't go in the top 5.

nunusguy said:
Unless Benson is injured, why does everyone think he's so great ? But Vince
Young, this guy could end up being the second coming of M.Vick. And the
Michigan CB(Jackson), wouldn't mind having him. A lot of talent out there this afternoon.

No way that Vince Young will be an NFL QB. The guy has the most lousy mechanics for a QB that I have seen in a long time. He is an incredible talent for sure, and he can get away with poor mechanics in college, but not at the professional level. I look for him to become a wide receiver in the NFL similar to Ronald Curry of the Raiders.

David Carr has poor mechanics and was the top pick in the '02 draft. Young doesn't need to be the top pick in the draft to be a QB in the NFL.

I see no reason he can't be a low round pick, stick him behind a QB coach that actually knows what he's doing (contrast that to Greg Davis), let him adjust through time then see what he can do.

He's actually pretty good at going through reads. Having the targets and being able to hit them might come in time.

All I can say is HOOKEM HORNS! That is the most fun I have had at a game in a LONG time!! Michigan fans were a classy bunch!! AWESOME place to play a game!!

ForemanHat001.jpg

Back