Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2008   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The O-Line's mean streak

Not.

There are some QB's that get rattled if they get knocked down repeatedly. Schaub's one of 'em. The word's out among defensive coordinators.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing (even though it's not a good thing,) it just is what it is.

The question is why doesn't the offensive line stick up for their QB?

When Jared Allen took repeated shots at Schaub's knee, why were there no O-Linemen in his grille?

Why didn't they try to take a shot at his knees? (er, I mean cut block him) Isn't that what the ZBS is all about?

For all we've heard about Alex Gibbs' mean streak, I'm not seeing it on the field.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The O-Line's mean streak

Maybe the O line has chosen there man just like the elections

THere 100% behind Sagencopter

Why would they be loyal to a FA 2nd stringer from atlanta

Sage has been here much longer
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

thats a givien tho when u dont play with sage week after week maybe there timing was not rountine ..... i cant knock him for that
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

The thread killer strikes again...

Let's try and revive this in with logical and realistic talk.

Our OL are softies.

/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offensive linemen are nice guys. And that's what really matters.
Old 11-04-2008   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Allen is questionable for next week's game with a shoulder injury. Is that from us or from his own play?
Old 11-04-2008   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We need the OT and OG from North Dallas who took out LC Weeks .
Old 11-04-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown- struggles with edge speed & strong bull rush. like his downfield blocking when pulling in run game, may wind up @ RT.

Chester Pitts- has been real solid inside in pass protection but have not seen him downfield enough. maybe need more running plays off LG.

Chris Myers- is a workhorse who struggles against nose tackles or big tackles. lunchpale, serviceable along with Winston a really nice man.

Mike Brisiel- quality depth player who also has worked very hard but upgrade here to open lanes for the running game should be addressed in offseason.

Eric Winston- a solid RT but not elite, struggles with speed looks more natural inside. super guy & leader of OL.

Ephraim Salaam- should be last resort but rotated every third series or so with Duane. has lost a step, occupies space & roster space.

Rashad Butler- one of the most promising young OL who needs more PT. can play swing tackle & back-up guard.

Kassey Studdard- thought this guy would bring some attitude but he struggles in every facet of the game & always banged up.

Mark Brunner- TE, I know but the only reason he is on the roster is to help service the OL & special teams. need upgrade here, probably his last season.

keepers are those who practice & work hard, thats the Texans way. this line lacks athleticism & playmaking ability expected from offensive linemen (for instance pancaking the end or Lb who dares enter the pocket or lining people up 15-20 yards down the field in the running game). Ryan Clady was my favorite tackle coming out the last draft & dropped out of the top 10 to Denver @ #12. in the last 8 games he has not allowed a sack while Denver has struggled in the running game thats saying something. if the Texans have a shot @ one of the premier tackles in the 09 draft (Monore, Oher) it would be hard to pass up, but lets hope the Texans have a winning surge & don't have to cross that path. a player who really fits what the Texans/Gibbs look for in a tackle is Jason Smith, Baylor who has excellent quickness as a former TE. should be on the board for the Texans in the 2nd rd.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not so sure that I blame the O-line so much as I blame the coaching. Kiper's scouting report on Duane Brown called him a "brawler." So, he was a brawler in college, but now....You do the math.

It seemed like they were coming after Schaub on every play. If they didn't get a sack, they were trying to knock him down. Hell, I remember one guy coming in on a safety blitz and launching into him helmet-first.

It's pretty obvious that the Vikings D were coached to take Schaub out of the game. It's also pretty obvious that the Texans were coached not to retaliate on either side of the ball.

As far as Jared Allen's injury goes, they didn't finish the job because he got back in the game.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I'm not so sure that I blame the O-line so much as I blame the coaching. Kiper's scouting report on Duane Brown called him a "brawler." So, he was a brawler in college, but now....You do the math.

It seemed like they were coming after Schaub on every play. If they didn't get a sack, they were trying to knock him down. Hell, I remember one guy coming in on a safety blitz and launching into him helmet-first.

It's pretty obvious that the Vikings D were coached to take Schaub out of the game. It's also pretty obvious that the Texans were coached not to retaliate on either side of the ball.

As far as Jared Allen's injury goes, they didn't finish the job because he got back in the game.
from what I've seen Duane Brown does have the right attitude (intelligence w/mean streak) its that the game has yet to slow down enough for him to exercise extra energy because he's spent & exhausted. He actually reminds me alot of one of my favorite young tackles Levi Brown, Cardinals who in his second season has settled in quite nicely. both have wit with dry humor
Old 11-04-2008   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Allen is questionable for next week's game with a shoulder injury. Is that from us or from his own play?
That shoulder injury is courtesy of Brisiel, post-Schaub hit. Brisiel drove him into the ground.
Old 11-04-2008   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That shoulder injury is courtesy of Brisiel, post-Schaub hit. Brisiel drove him into the ground.
The funny thing about Jared Allen is he only had 13 reps on the bench at the combine .
Old 11-04-2008   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
a player who really fits what the Texans/Gibbs look for in a tackle is Jason Smith, Baylor who has excellent quickness as a former TE. should be on the board for the Texans in the 2nd rd.
We just got the athletic former TE perfect for Gibbs and he's alright but struggles to stay in the game mentally and physically. I'm alright with him for this year and while I'd love to see some draft picks showing improvement I'm not ready to label him a bust just yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Once! Jared Allen took two or three shots at Schaub! I may have missed the retaliation, but there didn't seem to be much of one.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

I'm a big fan of Duane Brown, he is very athletic for his size, but we should be working someone else in there instead of Salaam, someone young with upside & thats excatly what Jason Smith is plus can cover spot guard duties. was really looking forward this coming weekend to see how he stacked up against Texas Brian Orakpo (listed as day to day). As someone who follows the draft these are the type of match-ups you dream about
Old 11-04-2008   #15
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

This was probably the toughest D line our O line has faced so far. I think the Ravens 3-4's going to be a tougher test though cause of the varied blitz scheme. This may be a good time to keep Vonta or Slaton in the backfield to protect Rosenfels knees
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just hope whoever is Sage's backup isn't needed.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm a big fan of Duane Brown, he is very athletic for his size, but we should be working someone else in there instead of Salaam, someone young with upside & thats excatly what Jason Smith is plus can cover spot guard duties. was really looking forward this coming weekend to see how he stacked up against Texas Brian Orakpo (listed as day to day). As someone who follows the draft these are the type of match-ups you dream about
This was a matchup I have been looking forward to also.J Smith has been getting alot of love lately. Looks to be a perfect fit in a ZB system.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Before the Texans select their OL, they not only look at their previous performance, they look carefully and deeply into their pedigrees.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't worry about Sage. If someone appears to be going for his knees, he's training this week to go for the nuts on the next play.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #20
CT CSTM
Rookie

Rep Power: 70 CT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Ask any D lineman in the NFL and they will tell you that everytime they hit the qb they want to take him out of the game,,,I'm sure in an interview they'll say diffrent due to fear of not being PC but in the way I know and talk to these guys thats what they want to do. They don't want to mame a guy or hurt him that will end his career or anything like that but just ring his bell good enough where he won't come back in that actual game,,,

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read