Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I think Chronicles Solomon has nailed it here: Schaub remain a huge question mark ?

Every time Schaub has to sit, his growth as an NFL quarterback slows. Every time Schaub gets hurt, the Texans’ growth as a franchise takes a hit.
It is not fair — right now, anyway — to say he is injury-prone, but he is getting close to earning that tag. The results of that MRI will have much to do with how he is perceived.
Yeah, the team has Sage Rosenfels. But like a mini spare tire, Rosenfels should come with a warning: for short-term, emergency use only.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6091403.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I think Chronicles Solomon has nailed it here: Schaub remain a huge question mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Every time Schaub has to sit, his growth as an NFL quarterback slows. Every time Schaub gets hurt, the Texans’ growth as a franchise takes a hit.
It is not fair — right now, anyway — to say he is injury-prone, but he is getting close to earning that tag. The results of that MRI will have much to do with how he is perceived.
Yeah, the team has Sage Rosenfels. But like a mini spare tire, Rosenfels should come with a warning: for short-term, emergency use only.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6091403.html
Injury prone no, but he deals VERY BAD with getting hit. Hes got the deer-in-the-headlights look whenever he is pressured and hit. He needs to talk to Favre about how to deal with this stuff.

Just to avoid any confusion, that is, not talking controversy here, but I have never seen Sage lose his calm after getting hit. Thats a vital ability for a QB, to stay calm and focussed, not only for his own play, but his level of focus and, call it mental health, is rubbing off on the rest of the team, good or bad.

Learn Schaub to stay cool and calm, Sage-style, and we have an awesome QB.

Last edited by Malloy; 11-03-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I think Chronicles Solomon has nailed it here: Schaub remain a huge question mark

Sage is determined not to be hurt, because he wants to stay out there and win that starting job.

Schaub is constantly worried about getting hit, becuase he doesn't want to be injured and lose the starting job.

Just a theory or two.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #4
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

In any case, the inconsistency at the QB position is really holding the Texans back. This is a big problem and there is no easy way to fix it.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The conversation with the guys on the sidelines wearing headsets should have been, "it looks like Matt's knee got buckled pretty bad, have Sage start warming up, call a timeout and assess the situation."

When he threw the interception it should have been perfectly clear he was not able to give us 100% and was a liability. Kubiak and staff failed the team in this instance.
Old 11-03-2008   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
When he threw the interception it should have been perfectly clear he was not able to give us 100% and was a liability. Kubiak and staff failed the team in this instance.
I should add that it is not only Schaub that has the deer-in-the-headlights look, our coaching staff seems... slow(?) at times. You are right, it was a no-brainer, I kept yelling at the screen at home. Good thing the gf wasn't home
Old 11-03-2008   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I should add that it is not only Schaub that has the deer-in-the-headlights look, our coaching staff seems... slow(?) at times. You are right, it was a no-brainer, I kept yelling at the screen at home. Good thing the gf wasn't home
That is one thing I put in the fire Kubiak thread. The staff is always slow. Slow to get plays in on 3rd and short. Confusion. Wasted timeouts. No challenges on obvious plays and challenges on plays where you are throwing away a timeout. They are just as lost.
Old 11-03-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right. We know Schaub doesn't have a gun and has underthrown some balls
in the past, but he's really been throwing the ball very well in the last few weeks. Therefor I think its reasonable to assume he didn't underthrow that ball to the wide-open FB Leach but couldn't get it there because of his knee injury. It's like K-T and some others are saying, Kubiak & assistants just don't snap like they should to make the decisions game-day.
I've mentioned this before but I will again. What does it tell you about a HC who won't watch FG attemps or goal-line plays in critical situations ? Too much drama, too much tension for the coach to handle ? I dunno, but that just strikes me as real odd ? And not too reassuring from the standpoint of inspiring confidance in the person who is the teams leader on the sidelines gameday ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 241209 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I posted in another thread, and I'll repeat here. I am beginning to agree with Haynesworth re: Schaub.
Old 11-03-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Schaub had not gotten hurt, the Texans likely win this game and improve to 4-4. There were plays there to be made, but he couldn’t make them. (Solomon quote)
I disagree with this statement for two reasons:

1. If we've learned anything, it's that Schaub WILL get hurt. So this statement by Solomon is sort of like an oxymoron.

2. He was getting shaky way before he was hurt. Matt wasn't doing anything special as the game wore on, and he was getting pressured harder as the first half continued.

I know ya'll think I was probably giddy when I saw Sage taking the 2nd half snaps. I wasn't. I flirted with the idea of thinking maybe Sage could turn it around, but then I showed self-restraint. I went ahead and basically hit the "fast-forward x 2" button on my DirecTV controller because I needed to get to the last few minutes of the game where I knew Sage would blow it somehow. No need in watching it in regular time when I already knew what was going to happen. It was just a matter of "where" it was going to happen.

Richard Smith's defensive philosophy, coupled with a lack of a clutch QB, is straining this team when it counts. We win the easy ones (Cincy), we eek out the marginal ones (Miami), and we crater the ones where it looks like we can take a step forward for once (Minnesota).

THIS was the year to gain a step on Indy and Jax. I mean, they are ripe for the pickin' if you ask me. This could have been a wild card year for us, especially after seeing how the AFC is shaking down. Tenn and Pitt are at the top, and there's a lot of freaking opportunities after that.

But...alas, and so on and so forth.
Old 11-03-2008   #11
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
That is one thing I put in the fire Kubiak thread. The staff is always slow. Slow to get plays in on 3rd and short. Confusion. Wasted timeouts. No challenges on obvious plays and challenges on plays where you are throwing away a timeout. They are just as lost.
Bingo...I think as much blame should be placed on the coaches as the QB. First, turnovers are and have been our achilles heal for the past several seasons. The failure of this team to clean this up...especially in the red zone...falls directly on the head coach. If we are in a game, and you know this team has a tendency to turn the ball over, curb the play calls a bit so we can get points on the board. If you can't get a play call in during a critical situation, call a timeout.

I think Schaub has had more bad luck than anything. I don't see us having a controversy...Sage seems to be more concerned with making the sexy play for himself, than to make the smart decision for this team.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, so far to me it looks like we got two guys who shouldn't be starters. Everytime I think Schaub is starting to show why he's a starter he takes 2 steps back AND gets injured.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #13
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I posted in another thread, and I'll repeat here. I am beginning to agree with Haynesworth re: Schaub.
He plays great in spurts. Might we have Rob Johnson v2.0?

I look at him and Sage and, as much as I really, really want Matt to pan out, I'm beginning to think that maybe we have two really good backup QB's. Now, I think that we're in much better shape than a lot of teams but we still don't have "the guy" under center.

I could be wrong. I'm not a talent evaluator. But I go back to Kubiak in the offseason talking about Matt being "1" and Rosencopter being "1a." Methinks "2 and 2a" might actually be the case.
Old 11-03-2008   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

And does it occur to anyone that Matt looks a heckuva' lot better when he's had to sit and watch Sage...then he comes out firing away and has his wits about him all of a sudden?

I mean, is the guy so used to being dogged that he relishes the chance to come back and prove people wrong? But then it seems to fade away, and he gets complacent and his footwork is sluggish again and he's on his back again.

This just seems like a sick cycle of repetitive happenstance to me.

Just thinking out loud. Feel free to wear ear muffs. LOL.
Old 11-03-2008   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The conversation with the guys on the sidelines wearing headsets should have been, "it looks like Matt's knee got buckled pretty bad, have Sage start warming up, call a timeout and assess the situation."

Exactly what I have been saying.
Old 11-03-2008   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep, I had a guy dogging me in the gameday thread yesterday for saying the same thing. If you looked at Schaub's pick in the endzone AND the fumble deep in Vikes territory, they both came about as a direct result of Schaub being "less than 100%".

One was a poor underthrow, the other was Schaub not stepping forward into the pocket. Both were caused by pain / bad wheels.
Old 11-03-2008   #17
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

Deer in the headlights does not describe Schaubs ability to play. I would like those of you who think he is fragile to take a direct hit to the side of your knee from an NFL defensive lineman.

Do you remember David Carr? Yeah, he was never hurt with all his sacks - you know why? Because any sense of pressure Carr felt, he immediately got into fetal position and fell down.

Why does Schaub get hurt on his sacks? Because he isnt scared of them and he is trying to still make a play. It is his line that is letting him down on those plays. You will get injured as an NFL QB if you still try to look down field and throw when a player is about to his your knees.

I prefer he trys to make a play rather than Carr Coddle. Its the line you should be blaming - not Schaub. We have all seen how he plays when he isnt taking constant shots to the knee.

So, back off.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
I prefer he trys to make a play rather than Carr Coddle. Its the line you should be blaming - not Schaub. We have all seen how he plays when he isnt taking constant shots to the knee.

So, back off.
I understand what you're saying, but...

The OL didn't underthrow the ball or fail to step up into the pocket. The "injured" QB did.

If he can't perform the way he needs to, then he needs to be taken off the field. Either the coaches need to see it, or he needs to "take himself out".

Turnovers within chip-shot FG range have to stop for this team to get to the next level.
Old 11-03-2008   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
Deer in the headlights does not describe Schaubs ability to play. I would like those of you who think he is fragile to take a direct hit to the side of your knee from an NFL defensive lineman.

Do you remember David Carr? Yeah, he was never hurt with all his sacks - you know why? Because any sense of pressure Carr felt, he immediately got into fetal position and fell down.

Why does Schaub get hurt on his sacks? Because he isnt scared of them and he is trying to still make a play. It is his line that is letting him down on those plays. You will get injured as an NFL QB if you still try to look down field and throw when a player is about to his your knees.

So, back off.
Wow. Pretty strong words. I mean, all our opinions (added up and multiplied by 300) equal less than 1 penny when you get right down to it.

I'm not so stubborn as to believe that Schaub must have a 360-degree 4-yard halo around him at all times in order for him to work his magic.

Any team that faces a stout defense is going to see their QB get harassed. It's just part of the game. I think it's kinda' silly to believe that an oline has to be perfect all the time, or even a majority of the time. They have the worst job in football because it's like when your electricity goes out: It happens once or twice a year, and we call and gritch about it without realizing that it was on the other 363 days without fail. An olineman makes a handful of spotty blocks, and it's as if he just royally blew it.

QBs and O-coordinators need to take advantage of that. Turn it back onto the defense and adjust the play calls and formations to exploit it. But nooooo...that'd be asking too much of our highly-trained coaching staff.

Nope. The oline is the goat. Always has been and always will be.

Funny how drastically the sacks went down when David Carr left town.
Old 11-03-2008   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that people are overthinking.

Schaub got busted in the side of the knee. Stuff happens....Orton, Brady, etc.

The offensive line isn't good enough to be expected to pass block all but 16 plays.

Kubiak should have pulled him given how gimpy he was after that.

I don't think the Texans would have won anyway, because the defense was ridiculous.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read