Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2008   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default what worries me

indy and the jags are a combined 4 and 8 if you dont count there wins over us. so maybe our last 5 games have been against bad teams. whats gonna happen when we play another good team?
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what worries me

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
indy and the jags are a combined 4 and 8 if you dont count there wins over us. so maybe our last 5 games have been against bad teams. whats gonna happen when we play another good team?

Maybe Tennessee should be worried also. There wins have all been against cupcakes like:

Houston
Jacksonville
Indy
KC
Cincy
Baltimore
Minnesota

Man, I guess they're in trouble when they start playing all the good teams!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #3
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Another way to put it: right now, the teams we've beaten have a combined record of 3-19. If we had beaten the Jags and Colts, the record of our victims would still only be 7-29.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole AFC is mediocre right now basically with the exception of the Titans. The other 5 spots are open for grabs and the Texans are just as much of a contender as all the other 3-4 AFC teams (like the colts, jags, chargers 3-5, etc)
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jags have always struck me as a paper lion (no pun intended) and I could never figure out how they were doing so well (some folks picked them to go all the way last year). I think Fragile Taylor's decline has something to do with their decline and perhaps their lack of a go-to WR is a glaring weakness. I honestly can't name a WR on that team and I play FFB, so I should at least know of one!

Oh, wait, Mr. Matt Jones. Isn't he suspended now? Just say no, Matt!

Their total rushing/receiving stats aren't horrible (middle of the pack according to nfl.com) but their TPPG is down near the bottom quartile at 21.1.

Their defense is also middle of the pack in a lot of categories. PPGA is 21.6.

They sort of lack an identity. When I think of the Jags, nothing pops into my head (well, save for being on the winning side of that rivalry).

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

We have played the good teams pretty well

Tenn we played them pretty close intil the end of the 3rd where they went into over drive

JAX is a very good team that we played to OT

Indy we killed for all 4 quarters intill the 4:00 min meltdown at the end

but thoes are divison games and they can go either way every year IMO

i guess all we can go buy is the pitts game and we went up aganist a elite team and got killed

o and BTW MINN is not a good team ...... there really no better then us

there 0-2 aganist AFC south teams this year indy barely beat them and Tenn killed them

now its our turn and JAx to beat them
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
The Jags have always struck me as a paper lion (no pun intended) and I could never figure out how they were doing so well (some folks picked them to go all the way last year). I think Fragile Taylor's decline has something to do with their decline and perhaps their lack of a go-to WR is a glaring weakness. I honestly can't name a WR on that team and I play FFB, so I should at least know of one!

Oh, wait, Mr. Matt Jones. Isn't he suspended now? Just say no, Matt!

Their total rushing/receiving stats aren't horrible (middle of the pack according to nfl.com) but their TPPG is down near the bottom quartile at 21.1.

Their defense is also middle of the pack in a lot of categories. PPGA is 21.6.

They sort of lack an identity. When I think of the Jags, nothing pops into my head (well, save for being on the winning side of that rivalry).
The Jags are having problems this year on Offense due to injuries on their O-line, similar to what we went through the last 2 years. A starting Tackle (believe it was RT) was shot just prior to the start of the season and his career is over. Then they lost 2 OG's in the 1st game. They had to scramble and pick up some players off the "scrap heap" including some ex Texans like Milford Brown.

It's kinda tough when your O-line is not set and plays with different players every game or two. They have a hard time getting into any rhythm, and the QB is usually the one who pays (especially on passing downs). I haven't followed the Jags too much this season, but I really believe most of their problems (and the Colts as well) stem from their injury problems on the O-line. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2008   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see us getting consistently better, if we keep progressing the way we have, the good team better watch out!
Old 10-31-2008   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said this last Sunday, after our run of Pee Wee League games had concluded, and I was berated by everybody for trying to ruin all the fun.

You're just now thinking this? Man, this thought was running through my head at halftime of the Bengals game. I stepped back and said to myself, "OK, so where do we go from here? We got crushed by a good team, couldn't beat a couple of average teams, barely beat an average team, and we dominated a couple of really bad teams."

The Vikings game is going to reveal a lot, IMO. If we go on the road and win this game, after starting like we started and having a tough road game against Minnesota right after having 4-straight at our house, then I'll be very satisfied with the team. I might even smile again.
Old 10-31-2008   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Who are the good teams this year? It's pretty wide open.
Old 10-31-2008   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, it's all about confidence and belief in the system you play in. So far we have both and everyone seems to be on the same page. So for us it is about the belief that we can hang with the teams that have winning records, and even beat them. Our team has seen what they can do when they follow through on their assignments.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #12
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
We have played the good teams pretty well

Tenn we played them pretty close intil the end of the 3rd where they went into over drive

JAX is a very good team that we played to OT

Indy we killed for all 4 quarters intill the 4:00 min meltdown at the end

but thoes are divison games and they can go either way every year IMO

i guess all we can go buy is the pitts game and we went up aganist a elite team and got killed

o and BTW MINN is not a good team ...... there really no better then us

there 0-2 aganist AFC south teams this year indy barely beat them and Tenn killed them

now its our turn and JAx to beat them
Minny might not be better than us but they are not a bad team and neither are we. After sundays game one of the teams will be 4-4 and in a decent position.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I said this last Sunday, after our run of Pee Wee League games had concluded, and I was berated by everybody for trying to ruin all the fun.

You're just now thinking this? Man, this thought was running through my head at halftime of the Bengals game. I stepped back and said to myself, "OK, so where do we go from here? We got crushed by a good team, couldn't beat a couple of average teams, barely beat an average team, and we dominated a couple of really bad teams."

The Vikings game is going to reveal a lot, IMO. If we go on the road and win this game, after starting like we started and having a tough road game against Minnesota right after having 4-straight at our house, then I'll be very satisfied with the team. I might even smile again.
The Vikings game could mean as much as the Lions and Bengals games. Maybe a little bit more, maybe not. The Vikings are not some sort of power house team. They're not even a very good team. They're a very beatable team. They barely squeaked by the Lions. The crowd is calling for Childress' head.

It's going to be a big step forward for our team to win this game on the road. But be consistent. If you're not going to get happy about winning 3 games in a row for the first time in franchise history then you really shouldn't care whether we win this game or not, either. Actually, there aren't many teams on our schedule that you should get excited about because all of them are less than elite.

As far as I'm concerned, you've got to win the games in front of you and it doesn't matter who they're against. There's frequently not that much of a difference between a winning team and a losing team. We just need to win. We've never been good at winning the games we should win and it's a huge step forward for us to do that.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Who are the good teams this year? It's pretty wide open.
Just MHO. No order implied or intended:
Good:
Titans
Giants
Carolina (when they come to play)
Redskins (how does one go EIGHT games with no INTs?!? My god, where would WE be with no T/Os???)

Above Average:
Steelers
Eagles
Buccs
Patriots
Saints (when their defense makes an appearance)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
The Jags are having problems this year on Offense due to injuries on their O-line, similar to what we went through the last 2 years. A starting Tackle (believe it was RT) was shot just prior to the start of the season and his career is over. Then they lost 2 OG's in the 1st game. They had to scramble and pick up some players off the "scrap heap" including some ex Texans like Milford Brown.

It's kinda tough when your O-line is not set and plays with different players every game or two. They have a hard time getting into any rhythm, and the QB is usually the one who pays (especially on passing downs). I haven't followed the Jags too much this season, but I really believe most of their problems (and the Colts as well) stem from their injury problems on the O-line. JMHO!
They just put one of the Jags starters on injured reserve this week. Ugoh is having problems with the injury bug. I think these two caught what ever we had last year. Payton Manning is clearly having trouble with the knee. Harrison is not what he once was. The guard is changing.

http://www.nfl.com/transactions

Quote:

Team logo Jacksonville Jaguars

10/30 Drew Miller (T) Activated from the Practice Squad.
Stefan Rodgers (G) practice squad addition.
Chris Naeole (G) Placed on IR (broken hand).
Clots:
http://www.nfl.com/transactions?tran...nsactionYear=0

Jaguars:

http://www.nfl.com/transactions?tran...nsactionYear=0

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-01-2008 at 06:44 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They just put one of the Jags starters on injured reserve this week. Ugoh is having problems with the injury bug. I think these two caught what ever we had last year. Payton Manning is clearly having trouble with the knee. Harrison is not what he once was. The guard is changing.
I have to say that kind of sums it up in a nutshell; be it injury or age or inconsistent play from the so-called "stars" (see LT), the so-called powers aren't so scary this year. Meanwhile teams like us and the Bills and, yes, the Titans are steadily improving. The guard is changing.

Think of what the league buzz would be like had we not let the Colts and Jags games get away from us.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The Vikings game could mean as much as the Lions and Bengals games. Maybe a little bit more, maybe not. The Vikings are not some sort of power house team. They're not even a very good team. They're a very beatable team. They barely squeaked by the Lions. The crowd is calling for Childress' head.

It's going to be a big step forward for our team to win this game on the road. But be consistent. If you're not going to get happy about winning 3 games in a row for the first time in franchise history then you really shouldn't care whether we win this game or not, either. Actually, there aren't many teams on our schedule that you should get excited about because all of them are less than elite.

As far as I'm concerned, you've got to win the games in front of you and it doesn't matter who they're against. There's frequently not that much of a difference between a winning team and a losing team. We just need to win. We've never been good at winning the games we should win and it's a huge step forward for us to do that.
I can be however I want. LOL.

I don't know how you can say that I shouldn't care about this game. We all have our different ways of registering where our team "is," and for me? Well, I think that winning a road game after having 4-straight at home is a good indication (to me) that the team is in a real groove.

Just my two cents. Ain't like somebody's opinions here are any better than anybody else's...this is just the way I feel about it.

This year is very weird. No single team, or heck...no 3 or 4 teams, are proving that they are unbeatable. I guess Steelers and Giants seem to be a couple of tough teams. I am still not sold on the Titans.

For us to still have a shot, after starting 0-4? That's amazing.
Old 11-01-2008   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I can be however I want. LOL.

I don't know how you can say that I shouldn't care about this game. We all have our different ways of registering where our team "is," and for me? Well, I think that winning a road game after having 4-straight at home is a good indication (to me) that the team is in a real groove.

Just my two cents. Ain't like somebody's opinions here are any better than anybody else's...this is just the way I feel about it.

This year is very weird. No single team, or heck...no 3 or 4 teams, are proving that they are unbeatable. I guess Steelers and Giants seem to be a couple of tough teams. I am still not sold on the Titans.

For us to still have a shot, after starting 0-4? That's amazing.
Shouldn't you, in specific, only care when we get to the playoffs, because that means we finally have a good team right? So really, you should berate the team until they hit that point.

You know, it'd be consistent.

On the subject of Good teams:

I'd say the Giants and Titans are sitting on top and looking at the Steelers, Redskins, and Carolina the closest to them. I also, for some reason, think Chicago could be the strongest team in the NFC North (Who we are playing) if the Packers can't recover from injury issues.

Also, I think that Miami is a mid level team, that they aren't really bad at all, but Cincy and Detroit are hilariously bad, and we should have won those games. Just because we did win those games doesn't make us a terrible team so I don't know.

I have the same kind of feeling going into this game that I did when we went up against Cleveland last year (A game that sunk any hopes we had of playoffs. For good.). A good team, that is beatable, on the road, and we just didn't rise to the occasion.

So yeah, can't wait to possibly get pissed off and break stuff.
Old 11-02-2008   #19
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Today I am worried about Adrian Peterson....sigh we came so close to drafting him..... why coldnt the two teams in front of us had brain farts that day.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read