Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans look for more from Okoye

Quote:
Houston's Amobi Okoye was praised for playing his best game this season after he recovered a fumble against the Bengals.

The 2007 first-round pick is not satisfied though, as he's still looking for his first sack of the season.

Okoye had four sacks in his first four games last season and has had just 1 1/2 since then. He's struggled with consistency since the Texans picked him 10th in the draft when he was just 19.

The defensive tackle turned 21 this summer and is still working on maturing on the field.

"I think it's hard because you're not only young, you were very successful in college and all of the sudden these guys you are going against, being successful is much harder," coach Gary Kubiak said.

Kubiak pointed to the difficult transition fellow defensive lineman Mario Williams had when he came into the league after being picked No. 1 in the 2006 draft. The Texans were jeered for the pick for more than a year while Williams developed, but he morphed into the dominant player they hoped he'd be in the middle of his second season.

The Texans are hoping for similar results from Okoye, who started 14 games last season and finished with 23 tackles.
http://www.khou.com/sports/texans/st...15fc869f1.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #2
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans look for more from Okoye

I agree that Amobi played his best game of the season against the Bengals, but he needs to pick it up big time. Mario was light years ahead of Amobi at this time last year. I'm rooting or Amobi, but he needs to start showing the fans of Houston more than he has shown so far.
Old 10-30-2008   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Amobi and feel that in the long run he'll be a good player with some maturity and experience but it's obvious he was drafted way to high, I have to say that at this point in his career he's a bust. When your drafted #10 in the 1st round your expected to make an impact on your team and be a starter for years to come, not be a project. I guess the real blame lies with Smith and Kubiak, you draft project players in later rounds cause they're not that good and you give them time to develop, not #10 overall. I don't understand a guy that's 21 yoa. and can't play the hole game, in his second season in the league he's already having to be pulled so he can rest and then put in on passing plays. Maybe we should blame the strength and conditioning coach for that, a 21 yr. old athlete should be able to play the hole game. I think given time Amobi will be a good player in a couple years.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Amobi Okoye seemed half a second late from making several sacks which means he is compressing the pocket & causing QB hurries. so I'm expecting a lucky break or two that translates into sack #'s

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #5
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything....can we get anything from this guy ...some tackles some batted balls..pressure up the middle. We have to have some expectations from a guy who wanted 14 sacks this year. At least put more than an arm tackle on a qb about to run in the endzone and we might be 4-3 right now.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #6
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
When your drafted #10 in the 1st round your expected to make an impact on your team and be a starter for years to come, not be a project.
2nd year players who have started every game are not busts.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #7
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like Amobi and feel that in the long run he'll be a good player with some maturity and experience but it's obvious he was drafted way to high, I have to say that at this point in his career he's a bust. When your drafted #10 in the 1st round your expected to make an impact on your team and be a starter for years to come, not be a project. I guess the real blame lies with Smith and Kubiak, you draft project players in later rounds cause they're not that good and you give them time to develop, not #10 overall. I don't understand a guy that's 21 yoa. and can't play the hole game, in his second season in the league he's already having to be pulled so he can rest and then put in on passing plays. Maybe we should blame the strength and conditioning coach for that, a 21 yr. old athlete should be able to play the hole game. I think given time Amobi will be a good player in a couple years.
Its not his condition thats the problem, they take him out because he's not strong enough against the run. And yes teams do take players in the draft with high potential. Its not kubiak and smith fault!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2008   #8
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
2nd year players who have started every game are not busts.
Hmm, apparently he's come off the bench for two games.

Still. Too early to slap bust on him.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

noxiousdog and wolf123, I guess we'll just have to disagree. Maybe bust is too strond of a word, big disappointment. To me a player taken #10 overall should be a pick that's a no brainer, obvious, a starter in every game and play the whole game, he should be a difference maker someone who steps in and plays at a high level. Wolf123 you really make my point for me.

Its not his condition thats the problem, they take him out because he's not strong enough against the run. And yes teams do take players in the draft with high potential. Its not kubiak and smith fault!

Why would you draft a player #10 in the 1st round that can only play half the game. If he can only play the passing downs and not the run then he's obviously not ready to be a 1st round pick. I understand that teams take players in the draft with high potential and hope that one day they'll be a good starter but you draft projects in the 3-7 rounds. You draft obvious starters in the 1st round that can play the whole game. I think that if Amobi was a 3rd round pick he'd be fine cause your expectations aren't as high. If he's not strong enough to play the run then why hasn't he been working on an NFL level strength and conditioning program for the last 1.5 yrs. I think Amobi will eventually be a good player in a couple years but I don't understand drafting projects in the 1st round.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm reluctant to buy this story about AO being too young. Didn't Mario come into his own last year in his second season when he was just 22 ? In other words only a year older than AO is now. And AO may begin to be consistantly productive before this the end of his second year, or his productivety may end up being closer to that of another DT, Travis Johnson, who the Texans shouldn't have used a 1st round pick on ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought that Amobi was a 'project' player, one who has great potential but will take longer to truly develop.

Unfortunately, we are not a team that should be picking project players at this stage of development. We need impact players, like DeMeco, who can immediately contribute and make an impact. Well established teams who are already successful and absorb project players and the longer time it takes to develop them. We are just not that kind of team at the moment.

But all that being said, I think Amobi will turn out to be a good pick in the long run. I think his upside can be molded into a solid DT, and hopefully more than just solid. Time will obviously tell.
Old 10-30-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've always thought that Amobi was a 'project' player, one who has great potential but will take longer to truly develop.
Why would AO be anymore of a project than say, oh Mario, when AO had one more of year of college ball than Mario did ?
Old 10-30-2008   #13
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Why would AO be anymore of a project than say, oh Mario, when AO had one more of year of college ball than Mario did ?
My guess is because he's a couple of years younger than Mario and came into the league as a teenager.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
My guess is because he's a couple of years younger than Mario and came into the league as a teenager.
He was 20 during his rookie season while Mario was 21 during his first season.
Hardly any difference at all really ?
Old 10-30-2008   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Because Mario was clearly a much better prospect. Not all college players are equal, you know, which is why some are drafted in the first round and most are not.
Old 10-30-2008   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because Mario was clearly a much better prospect. Not all college players are equal, you know, which is why some are drafted in the first round and most are not.
True, but Okoye was still a first round pick. Not #1 overall like Mario, but still in the top 10
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #17
Polo

Wow we're comparing Mario to Okoye now ?

-Mario really didn't come into his own until about the mid-way point last yr so he has not been this beast all along...Mario started slow and picked up steam, Amobi gave us good production early on and then tapered off..Different guys means different paths to development
-Mario was a yr. and some change older than Amobi
-Mario is more freakishly talented than Amobi, we did choose Mario #1 overall even though he was up against some very good ball players for that selection
-Amobi is a DT and Mario is a DE

Not sure why Amobi's progress is being measured against Mario's....That makes about as much sense as measuring Chester Pitts transition into the NFL against Duane Browns...

Some things just involve too many factors to correlate...

Last edited by Polo; 10-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2008   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
True, but Okoye was still a first round pick. Not #1 overall like Mario, but still in the top 10
This is true. But given that fact, shouldn't he be making an impact now? At least more of an impact than he made in his first year?

I'm not saying that a project player is a bad thing. It's just a player that takes longer to mature and develop. And at the DT position, with a much greater learning curve than many other positions, it can take that much longer to fully realize his potential.

It's not a bad thing in any way. My point was that the Texans are not the kind of team that should be using first round picks on players that have a longer development cycle. We lack depth in many areas, and to be honest, we lack a quality starter in a few positions, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Wow we're comparing Mario to Okoye now ?

-Mario really didn't come into his own until about the mid-way point last yr
-Mario was a yr. and some change older than Amobi
-Mario is more freakishly talented than Amobi, we did choose Mario #1 overall even though he was up against some very good ball players for that selection
-Amobi is a DT and Mario is a DE

Not sure why Amobi's progress is being measured against Mario's....That' makes about as much sense as measuring Chester Pitts transition into the NFL against Duane Browns...

Some things just involve too many factors to correlate...
Good points. My only inclusion of Mario was because nunu quoted me and used him as an example. But it's different players and different positions, as you pointed out.
Old 10-30-2008   #19
Polo

Quote:
My only inclusion of Mario was because nunu quoted me and used him as an example. But it's different players and different positions, as you pointed out.
Exactly...I was agreeing with you...

Old 10-30-2008   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always found it strange that high first rounders get so much more time to develop than 3rd or 4th rounders. The same level of performance that gets a late rounder cut earns another year or two of OJT for a first round pick. It has a lot to do with potential, but also that the people making the picks don't want to look bad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read