Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2008   #21
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Green injured again..? If so then...

Didn't Mario used to play RB?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #22
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Dayne runs waaaay too soft to be an effective short yardage back. Dances too much in the backfield, also.
Funny how perception works. I never saw Dayne as much of a dancer, what I saw was him being told to wait until a hole opened, but the O-line were not able to open up jack. On the plays where he would cut and go (or smack up the middle) I saw what, to me, looked like steady yards. If I remember correctly, Dayne had some real nice runs to the outside, no dancing, just go.

From what I saw (that damn perception thingie again!), Dayne could be an interesting addition to the ZBS rushing attack.
Old 10-30-2008   #23
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Green injured again..? If so then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I would call Dayne, tell him to work out like a madman, and once (unfortunately) Green is unable to start, Dayne will come in and compliment Slaton. Despite what people think of Dayne, I think he was pretty fast once he went through the hole. I can only imagine how productive he would be in an effective ZBS, I have a feeling that he would grind out ALOT of yards but hey, unfortunately we'll never know...

[edit] Actually I have a feeling that he would be a complete LB-terror, one quarter of him slamming into linebackers would wear a D down.. alot

People called me crazy when our roster had 3 backs we knew wouldn't make it 16 games - Taylor, Brown, Green.

At least Dayne was always healthy, and even productive in Nov. and Dec.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #24
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dayne runs waaaay too soft to be an effective short yardage back. Dances too much in the backfield, also.

Heck, he's not even that good of a part time back. My $0.02 on Dayne was that he looked a lot more effective when he was the starter and looked like garbage when he would play part time.
hm... but if we have him just go in on short yardage situations don't you think he'll get the idea that we want him to get to the line asap? so i don't think he'll be dancing around. and honestly, him or Sapp?

unless your answer is Sapp in which case don't post. it makes me look bad...
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #25
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Funny how perception works. I never saw Dayne as much of a dancer, what I saw was him being told to wait until a hole opened, but the O-line were not able to open up jack. On the plays where he would cut and go (or smack up the middle) I saw what, to me, looked like steady yards. If I remember correctly, Dayne had some real nice runs to the outside, no dancing, just go.

From what I saw (that damn perception thingie again!), Dayne could be an interesting addition to the ZBS rushing attack.
I remember some instances where I was screaming at the TV for Dayne to go and he just pitter-pattered around the line. Maybe he was afraid to bang it in there because of what happened to Spencer? Who knows.

Dayne ran like a small man in a big man's body. He never did run really tough inside which is why I bristle when people suggest that he was / would be a good short yardage back. Why do you think that he was never "Thunder" to Tiki Barber's "Lightning?" It was more like "9 volt and Lightning" when he came out to the Giants from Wisconsin.

I would agree to him being productive in the ZBS. He resurrected (to some degree) his career in Denver and did well as a third option behind Anderson and Gary, methinks, running that offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Which, IIRC, was when he was the full time starter by default. Everyone else had been either pitifully ineffective or was damaged goods. By Nov. and Dec. we were begging for Ronnie to just get us 70 yards per game. When he started and got 90% of the reps, he was good for 70 YPG (give or take). Me, I think we can get faster, more effective relief for Slaton than what could be had in Dayne. And Slaton >>>>> Dayne so I surely don't want Slaton spelling the fat man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
hm... but if we have him just go in on short yardage situations don't you think he'll get the idea that we want him to get to the line asap? so i don't think he'll be dancing around. and honestly, him or Sapp?

unless your answer is Sapp in which case don't post. it makes me look bad...
I really don't know enough about Sapp to say. I do know that if I'm on a 3rd and 1 at the opponents 2YL, I don't want the Dayne Train going up the middle. Because he never really seemed to move the pile. I'd rather have Slaton do a flying leap over the pile than have Dayne try to bull his way through.
Old 10-30-2008   #26
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Adimchinobi Echemandu
Old 10-30-2008   #27
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Adimchinobi Echemandu
Gesundheit.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2008   #28
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Thanks, I think I am catching a cold...
Old 10-30-2008   #29
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IWhich, IIRC, was when he was the full time starter by default. Everyone else had been either pitifully ineffective or was damaged goods. By Nov. and Dec. we were begging for Ronnie to just get us 70 yards per game. When he started and got 90% of the reps, he was good for 70 YPG (give or take). Me, I think we can get faster, more effective relief for Slaton than what could be had in Dayne. And Slaton >>>>> Dayne so I surely don't want Slaton spelling the fat man.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Dayne instead of Slaton. I'm loving me some Slaton on this team, but I think that Dayne would fit nicely as a backup bruiser type, just dont let him wait for a hole to open up, just smack it in there. Also, I think he would benefit greatly with a better O-line, like the one we have now.

Oh well its speculation at best, chances are that he wont ever get the chance, so whether or not it would work will likely never be known
Old 10-30-2008   #30
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

So after all said and done now that Green is not in this Sunday it is
Slaton
Moats
Sapp
Green currently not healthy (each game he plays gets paid contract)
for this Viking game.
Because Green is out this Sunday but may be ready to go for the Ravens game. The Texans currently have to work with what they have now
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Where is this "always healthy" thing coming from? Dayne wasn't always healthy.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #32
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

You can add me to the list that kind of misses the Dayne Train. But, you go with what ya got. Slaton can't carry the load by himself, so he has to have someone else. I'm interested to see what happens this weekend with those other two.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #33
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 475 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

cannot believe I am reading this.

Ron. Dayne. Was. TERRIBLE.
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #34
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

How did Dayne become a Texan?

What? He was cut from DEN because he was injured and sucked?

Hmm...

Why was he cut from our team?

Because he sucked worse then the clowns we brought in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #35
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dayne the Train...healthy or not healthy here were some stats and mind you that he came in later as starter to fill in for Green 2007

2006- 11 games- Rushng 612 yards -55 Y/G -Avg 4.1- 5 TD - 1 fumble
2007 -13 games- Rushing 773 yards- 59.5Y/G - Avg 4- 6 TD - 1 fumble

what other RB had those stats since DDavis...
Old 10-30-2008   #36
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

What other RBs have there been since DD?

An injured Green and an injured Taylor.

Pretty easy to better than 2 guys who didn't play.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 10-30-2008   #37
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
What other RBs have there been since DD?

An injured Green and an injured Taylor.

Pretty easy to better than 2 guys who didn't play.
If I understand this right he seemed to be the man. And to think of the quality of the O line then and the O line now and how the passing was then and the passing now. Other than he being a year older what would he be like now. Not as a starter but complimenting Slaton. I guess we'll see what Moats and/or Sapp do and who knows one of them may be the next man. Oh and of course the unsung hero FB blocking Vonta Leach what a beast he's been.
Old 10-30-2008   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBorn51 View Post
If I understand this right he seemed to be the man. And to think of the quality of the O line then and the O line now and how the passing was then and the passing now. Other than he being a year older what would he be like now. Not as a starter but complimenting Slaton. I guess we'll see what Moats and/or Sapp do and who knows one of them may be the next man. Oh and of course the unsung hero FB blocking Vonta Leach what a beast he's been.

We would have to replace the center and change the offensive system in order for Dayne to be, perhaps, somewhat effective. He can not attack the edges and therefore can not play in the zone scheme. Therefore, we would need to revert to a power blocking system- by the way, we don't have a center who can do that.

So, forget it. It's a moot point.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #39
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBorn51 View Post
Every time Leach is in the game, I watch him. I get hyped watching bring the pain. On Slaton's TD run this past week I kept playing the Leach block over and over yelling "BOOM". It was a thing of beauty.

Leach for the ProBowl!

Quote:
Old 10-31-2008   #40
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
We would have to replace the center and change the offensive system in order for Dayne to be, perhaps, somewhat effective. He can not attack the edges and therefore can not play in the zone scheme. Therefore, we would need to revert to a power blocking system- by the way, we don't have a center who can do that.

So, forget it. It's a moot point.
My point was not really to bring him back but to explain the health and not health issue production of a Texan RB. Your point on the blocking scheme sounds right. But once again I'm still asking for the lineup for this Sunday and thensome game(s) and another RB in case another is injured. Maybe the PS. I guess for now we have 3 RB's
Slaton
Moats
Sapp

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read