Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2008   #21
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Marshall Faulk Picks the Texans

[quote=ObsiWan;1036852]Call me crazy (not everyone at once, thank you) but I think that special teams performance will swing this game.

The way I see it Schaub-to-Johnson will do as much offensive damage as Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. The respective defensive stats aren't that far apart. We've given the ball away 14 times, them - 15 (yeah, I was amazed someone was worse than us too). Our "running attack" is just as weak as their "passing attack". So other than being at home, I see no clear advantage for the Vikes.

Now a couple of games back, two punt returns for TDs almost cost Minnesota a win against New Orleans. Their punt coverage team allows a league high 18+ yds/punt (we allow around 12). So I'm thinking that if Jacoby can bust one (maybe two) big returns against them, that could swing the odds in our favor and definitely take their crowd out of the game.

Marciano's boys could swing this game for us.[/QUOTE

Our run game isnt weak. Its not as strong as our pass game, but how many teams have had a 100 yd rusher vs the Titans? Im betting 1 or maybe 2. We also dont turn the ball over with our run game, they fumble and throw picks. I give us a slight advantage in O, a little weaker on D, and Special teams is absolutly no contest.
Old 10-31-2008   #22
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You know everyone laughed at Marshall when he picked the Rams to upset the Cowboys, but there he was Sunday night with his Joker smile.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Call me crazy (not everyone at once, thank you) but I think that special teams performance will swing this game.

The way I see it Schaub-to-Johnson will do as much offensive damage as Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. The respective defensive stats aren't that far apart. We've given the ball away 14 times, them - 15 (yeah, I was amazed someone was worse than us too). Our "running attack" is just as weak as their "passing attack". So other than being at home, I see no clear advantage for the Vikes.

Now a couple of games back, two punt returns for TDs almost cost Minnesota a win against New Orleans. Their punt coverage team allows a league high 18+ yds/punt (we allow around 12). So I'm thinking that if Jacoby can bust one (maybe two) big returns against them, that could swing the odds in our favor and definitely take their crowd out of the game.

Marciano's boys could swing this game for us.
both tackles for Minnesota (Kevin & Pat Williams) should dominate the Texans offensive line are active for Sunday (four game suspension not arriving in time for Houston). even their big free agent off season signing FS Madieu Williams might see his first action of the year. then they're coming off a bye week so they've had time to prepare & for Adrian Peterson to get healthy.

I'm just not sure how the Texans can stop the Vikings running game or move the ball against that Defense either running or throwing? Schaub is not going to have alot of time in the pocket to read progressions, so they will have to be patient, short, quick hits, the running game will be physical, cut-back openings key for Slaton. Moates could be the darkhorse in the flats because of his speed on the outside. If all that is managed to the best of the Texans ability you may be right, the game comes down to turnovers & special teams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the best way to get past those two big defensive tackles is to use a lot of no-huddle (get those big fellas gassed) and to lure them into the pass rush while swinging the ball out to Slaton and Moates...a heavy dose of three-step drops, quick slants, curls, bubble screens, and just generally all the high-percentage pass plays that will get complete and keep the clock rolling.

I think if we do that, we can deflate the defensive line and put the thought into their heads that they are not going to eat us up in the middle of the line or around the edges, they're not going to reach Schaub, they are using a lot of energy with little to show for it. That's when you start sneaking in the run plays, taking advantage of the situation.

I've seen times when Kubiak would pass on almost every down on the first possession, and I think it does a lot to the psyche of both teams: For them, it keeps Adrian Peterson off the field a lot AND that means they will be less inclined to run the ball if they have to match our score on each drive, and for us it means that we get all our guys involved and get them spreading the field out to let Slaton make it do what it do, baby.

Will be interesting to see how our guys come out after having 4-straight at Reliant.
Old 10-31-2008   #25
Polo

I don't expect AP to have a big DAY...

He's very capable, but I don't think he'll be the deciding factor...

Last edited by Polo; 10-31-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2008   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't expect AP to have a big...

He's very capable, but I don't think he'll be the deciding factor...
I don't know, man. He can blow up and dominate.

And we're talking about a Richard Smith defense here...
Old 10-31-2008   #27
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I guess it's just my blind faith...
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2008   #28
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

That completely shut down Fred Taylor and Jones Drew. Gerrard is alot better of a QB than Ferrote too.
Old 10-31-2008   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post

Our run game isnt weak. Its not as strong as our pass game, but how many teams have had a 100 yd rusher vs the Titans? Im betting 1 or maybe 2. We also dont turn the ball over with our run game, they fumble and throw picks. I give us a slight advantage in O, a little weaker on D, and Special teams is absolutly no contest.
ONLY Sleepy Steve Slaton has rushed for more than 100 yards against the Titans this year.

They held Adrian Peterson to 80 yards.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #30
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i never liked faulk. i think it was his pedosmile what perturbed me at first. it's cool that someone's got faith in the texans.
Old 10-31-2008   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
i never liked faulk. i think it was his pedosmile what perturbed me at first. it's cool that someone's got faith in the texans.
okay.... I don't usually complain about spelling because I can almost always figure out what folks meant. Not this time.

do you mean "pedo" as in relating to feet
or "pedo" as in relating to children
or did you mean to type "pseudo" as in fake?

....two of those possibilities go down a sick path...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Both Brian Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe picked the Texans to win because of our offense.

I am officially nervous.
Old 11-01-2008   #33
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both Brian Baldinger and Sterling Sharpe picked the Texans to win because of our offense.

I am officially nervous.
Its easier to be pleasently surprised if one is the underdog
Old 11-01-2008   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Malloy,
I just thought they'd go with Adrian Peterson & co. coming off a bye and being at home. Not to mention, they're only one game off their division lead.

And actually, with both of them picking us I'm not really as nervous as if Sharpe alone picked us. Sometimes I wonder what that boy is thinking.

But if we can keep that Viking D-line out of Schaub's face most of the day, and get a short field due to Jacoby returns a time or three, we can beat them.
Old 11-01-2008   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Faulk was one of the experts who dogged the Texans the worst for taking Mario over Reggie. Even after last year, he was still dogging the Texans for taking Mario. I liked Faulk before that. Now, whatEV.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #36
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsiwan View Post
okay.... I don't usually complain about spelling because i can almost always figure out what folks meant. Not this time.

Do you mean "pedo" as in relating to feet
or "pedo" as in relating to children
or did you mean to type "pseudo" as in fake?

....two of those possibilities go down a sick path...
#2.
Old 11-01-2008   #37
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Other writters are picking the vikings over Texans, not all but the majority.

All this means is we will prove them wrong!

imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #38
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Malloy,
I just thought they'd go with Adrian Peterson & co. coming off a bye and being at home. Not to mention, they're only one game off their division lead.

And actually, with both of them picking us I'm not really as nervous as if Sharpe alone picked us. Sometimes I wonder what that boy is thinking.

But if we can keep that Viking D-line out of Schaub's face most of the day, and get a short field due to Jacoby returns a time or three, we can beat them.
I agree completely, and hope you are right!
Old 11-01-2008   #39
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not a 3-4, we will be able to play good O. If they start getting to our backfield, I give you the bootleg. We will move the ball just as well against them as any team we've played all season, with exception to the Steelers game.

With Dunta back, and seemingly finding his groove, the secondary is sharpening up a bit, which will equate to more pressure on the opposing QB.

Special Teams will Tee up our field position all game long.

The biggest area of concern is the Turnovers. Take Care of the Damn Ball!!
Old 11-02-2008   #40
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

it could be that Marshall has since transferred his love for the oilers to the texans

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read