Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-27-2008   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default UT Vs TT

It's early I know but it gives us a long time to talk about it. Texas is going to have to have more than a running game than Colt McCoy.
Old 10-27-2008   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UT Vs TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
It's early I know but it gives us a long time to talk about it. Texas is going to have to have more than a running game than Colt McCoy.
They already do. Last game was bad, but they can do it.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas doesn't need to change anything that they do. They are probably the most consistent offense in the country, regardless of who gets the most rushing yards.

I think this game comes down to who gets more defensive stops. And I have little confidence that that will be Tech.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas Tech 48
Texas 45
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #5
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas has been averaging 184 yards per game rushing:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...xas/index.html

That is not bad, but it could be a little better, especially considering Texas typical margin of victory in their games. The scary part of that statistic is that McCoy accounts for 28% of the total rush yards. That is a bit higher than what is ideal.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was going to be some kind of posting war or something, lol.

UT vs. TexansTalk.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Horns - 45
Tech - 31
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2008   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Texas doesn't need to change anything that they do. They are probably the most consistent offense in the country, regardless of who gets the most rushing yards.

I think this game comes down to who gets more defensive stops. And I have little confidence that that will be Tech.
Pretty much my thought as far as Texas is concerned. Don't change anything and don't get cute. Defensively get stops and get pressure on Harrell which this unit is more then capable of. They also need to keep THEIR offense on the field.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

This game is not going to be as high scoring as people think it will be.

Texas is going to control the clock with the short passing game.

Tech will also move slowly because the YAC that they rely on will not be there against Texas.

I'm predicting Texas wins 35-27
Old 10-27-2008   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Tech will also move slowly because the YAC that they rely on will not be there against Texas.

I think that you're right.

People forget that TT hasn't played their tough end of the schedule and proved themselves the way Texas has. TT hasn't faced a D or an offense this season as good as Texas either.

Our running game is fine. Whitaker, Obbanaya, McGee, and Johnson can hold their own just fine. They have all year long. I'd like to see Cody Johnson get the ball more so he can pound away on the defense and keep the ball out of Tech's hands. A lot of people fail to realize that sometimes when you run a short pass game like they did last week, it is sort of like running the ball as well.

Texas should win this game. 42 to 31.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That blueprint worked well against OSU .... Their execution wasnt flawless ... two redzone turnovers almost cost them. I think we'll see much the same gameplan for Tech.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That blueprint worked well against OSU .... Their execution wasnt flawless ... two redzone turnovers almost cost them. I think we'll see much the same gameplan for Tech.
Exactly. The defensive gameplan is going to be slightly different though.

The difference is that Tech is pretty one-dimensional (less than usual though) & Oklahoma St is one of the most balanced offensive teams in the country.
Old 10-27-2008   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

well put, the tech D will wear down in the 4th like OU, not a UT fan but they are the most complete team in the country. UT D-line can get pressure without a blitz and colt is UNREAL, if he comes back for his senior year he will be the best QB UT has ever seen. alot of kids on this team that i would love to see in a texan uni. UT stamps their ticket to the bcs title game saturday night.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly. The defensive gameplan is going to be slightly different though.

The difference is that Tech is pretty one-dimensional (less than usual though) & Oklahoma St is one of the most balanced offensive teams in the country.
OSU's offense is very good .... I was impressed with them from begining to end. Their TE Pettigrew .... is 1st round material and that back .... Hunter was just picking up chunks .... I am glad they got away from the run for much of the second half or I fear the outcome may have been much different.
The Texas secondary did a good job on Dez Bryant ....

I dont expect TT to be able to move the ball on the ground near as well meaning UT can attack the Tech passing game much more .

Old 10-27-2008   #15
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think if they want to win they HAVE to change it up a bit, Texas HAS to run the ball or it ll turn into a Tech game, and with Texas' young corners, they could be exposed if harrel gets too many possesions.

Who ever wins the Turnover battle wins the game. I have Texas winning 42 to 35.

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
well put, the tech D will wear down in the 4th like OU, not a UT fan but they are the most complete team in the country. UT D-line can get pressure without a blitz and colt is UNREAL, if he comes back for his senior year he will be the best QB UT has ever seen. alot of kids on this team that i would love to see in a texan uni. UT stamps their ticket to the bcs title game saturday night.
I don't know about that just yet if they win. They still have to play Baylor, Kansas, Texas A&M, and then a conference title game against Missouri again most likely. That won't be easy. Texas just needs to keep their heads down and out of the news. They need to ignore everyone telling them how great they are and keep plugging away each week at a time. They can win every game on this schedule, but they'll have to be ready to execute different game plans each week. Mack and Greg Davis have to continue to have their teams prepared and have the right play calling mentality with each defense that they'll face. This schedule is far from over, and their is still a lot of work to do.

With that being said LETS HO HORNS!!!

Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I think if they want to win they HAVE to change it up a bit, Texas HAS to run the ball or it ll turn into a Tech game, and with Texas' young corners, they could be exposed if harrel gets too many possesions.

Who ever wins the Turnover battle wins the game. I have Texas winning 42 to 35.
Texas is #3 in the country in time of possession. Read that again...

There is a reason Colt never throws farther than 15 yards. It is because there is no reason to. Nobody has stopped Texas all year long.

So Greg Davis does what he does. He calls a conservative offense that eats up clock, keeping the defense rested & the opponent tired.

All Texas has to do to win is do what they do. It is Tech who will have to change their scheme if they want to win this game.
Old 10-27-2008   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
OSU's offense is very good .... I was impressed with them from begining to end. Their TE Pettigrew .... is 1st round material and that back .... Hunter was just picking up chunks .... I am glad they got away from the run for much of the second half or I fear the outcome may have been much different.
The Texas secondary did a good job on Dez Bryant ....

I dont expect TT to be able to move the ball on the ground near as well meaning UT can attack the Tech passing game much more .
Muschamp admitted that he was scared of Dez so he was rolling Earl Thomas over to him on every play. That left Pettigrew one-on-one with Muckelroy. Not a good matchup for Texas.

Suffice it to say that he won't do that again.

I think Texas will man up with their corners & give Tech the short routes that they like. Luckily, they have four or five really athletic corners. Stay with em' & wrap up. Tech thrives on YAC. Don't let them get it. Put pressure on Harrell and hope that he gets antsy & tries to go deep when there is nothing there.
Old 10-28-2008   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant rep ya right now bah007, but I agree that it wont be a barn burner. Texas will control the clock with their consistent ground and short passing game, while Michael Crabtree and the Tech offense sit on the sideline getting cold.

Texas Tech will get its points though. Im thinking 28 or so. You know they wont be kicking 30+ yard field goals with their walk on kicker.

And then we get to Texas' defense and special teams. This is what the media forgets. Texas has amazing special teams, and the defense is 10x better than they were supposed to be. Orakpo and Miller wont make it easy on them.

Prediction: Texas 45, Texas Tech 28
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I cant rep ya right now bah007, but I agree that it wont be a barn burner. Texas will control the clock with their consistent ground and short passing game, while Michael Crabtree and the Tech offense sit on the sideline getting cold.

Texas Tech will get its points though. Im thinking 28 or so. You know they wont be kicking 30+ yard field goals with their walk on kicker.

And then we get to Texas' defense and special teams. This is what the media forgets. Texas has amazing special teams, and the defense is 10x better than they were supposed to be. Orakpo and Miller wont make it easy on them.

Prediction: Texas 45, Texas Tech 28

OSU exploited UT's kick return team .... 5-135 .... The numbers are deceptive , there were some scarry moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
UT might as well kick it out of bounds every time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read