Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-27-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Old-School HC Singletary sends star TE to showers

Singletary later walked over to talk to Davis on the bench, yelling some more at the former No. 6 overall pick in full view of his teammates. Then with 10:41 remaining in the game, Singletary went back to Davis and told him to go to the locker room. Davis started walking before being called back to get his helmet. He then waved his helmet at the crowd as he left.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3665809
If you've seen the Senior Bowl in recent years, they've shown a lot of the one-on-one coaching style of the fiery, discilinary-oriented former Chicago Bears LB and HOFamer.
I dunno, but will that approach to coaching fly these days with the hot-dog, highly-compensated type of players on the roster like the one that the new SanFran HC tossed out of yesterdays game for a "nonchalant attitude" ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Old-School HC Singletary sends star TE to showers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Singletary later walked over to talk to Davis on the bench, yelling some more at the former No. 6 overall pick in full view of his teammates. Then with 10:41 remaining in the game, Singletary went back to Davis and told him to go to the locker room. Davis started walking before being called back to get his helmet. He then waved his helmet at the crowd as he left.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3665809
If you've seen the Senior Bowl in recent years, they've shown a lot of the one-on-one coaching style of the fiery, discilinary-oriented former Chicago Bears LB and HOFamer.
I dunno, but will that approach to coaching fly these days with the hot-dog, highly-compensated type of players on the roster like the one that the new SanFran HC tossed out of yesterdays game for a "nonchalant attitude" ?
I'm not sure if it will work in the NFL but if one guy could do it and get the respect it is Singletary.
Old 10-27-2008   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Its interesting, but a few years ago I saw Singletary in person and he even dressed in old-school street cloths that day. But rather stylishly, very dapper actually. He was wearing a fedora hat with an understated dark-brown top coat over a conservative business suit. He looked like that leading man in the new hit series "Mad Men", if you've seen that cable production ? 1950s - 1960s circa.
Old 10-27-2008   #4
SA Texan
Veteran

I love it! The NFL needs more coaches who are willing to take a stand against these guys who think they are above the team.
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #5
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I was able to catch that conference on The Blitz on ESPN, I must say, as much as I hate the 9ers, I have a lot of respect for their new head coach.

One of the announcers made a comment about Vernon Davis that I found absolutely hilarious..."Vernon Davis looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane", and just at that moment they cut to a clip of Vernon walking off the field...man, I haven't laughed that hard in a while.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude is freaking awesome... if he can't turn San Fran around, no one can.
Old 10-27-2008   #7
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

What a bunch of bs. Vernon Davis is NO STAR. Good for Singletary. Install the 46!!
Old 10-27-2008   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Supposedly, this has been Davis' MO. Now that Singletary has his record on the line as a coach he is going to nip it in the bud. I will be interested to see what the players' quotes are form the 49ers and the op-eds in the SF press this week. I bet they all have Samurai Mike's back.
Old 10-27-2008   #9
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86144 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
What a bunch of bs. Vernon Davis is NO STAR. Good for Singletary. Install the 46!!
Grrr beat me to the "no star" comment.

Rep!

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it. He told him that he would be more helpful if he went into the showers, changed into street clothes, and watched the game from the sidelines. Daaaaaaaaammmn. Wouldn't be suprised if they got rid of this guy , and Singletary actually gets that team in check.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It attracts players who are disciplined. A disciplined player doesn't get chewed out and humiliated like this--He plays by the rules, follows orders, and goes 100% all the time. So he loves to play on this sort of team. Players like Vernon Davis affect the players who are trying to be good players.

I prefer to have a HC like this for the team(s) I root for. You'll lose the selfish, superstar players like Vernon Davis....but you'll weed them out and start building a Cowher-esque team that is hard-nosed and efficient.

Professional sports, IMO, has become a big club of TV personalities instead of hard-working athletes who hate to lose and love to win.
Old 10-27-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It attracts players who are disciplined. A disciplined player doesn't get chewed out and humiliated like this--He plays by the rules, follows orders, and goes 100% all the time. So he loves to play on this sort of team. Players like Vernon Davis affect the players who are trying to be good players.

I prefer to have a HC like this for the team(s) I root for. You'll lose the selfish, superstar players like Vernon Davis....but you'll weed them out and start building a Cowher-esque team that is hard-nosed and efficient.

Professional sports, IMO, has become a big club of TV personalities instead of hard-working athletes who hate to lose and love to win.
You make a lot of sense, a lot of good points with you're remarks there GP.
But I wonder if it will really play out that way, with teams having such huge investments in some individaul players like SF does in Davis by way of a high draft pick or big FA signing ?
Back in the day when Singletary was playing (20-25 years ago), there just wasn't so much money invested in player compensation, making the priorities of NFL Clubs different between then and now. Not that I don't buy into your argument GP, but I just wonder if the Singletarys prevail over the Davis's ?
Old 10-27-2008   #13
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86144 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I completely agree with this sentiment. That's probably why I'm getting so much joy out of the Titans this year. There's no BS and no divas, and the only possibility of one is holding the clipboard.

I saw it firsthand when I went to the Titans hotel on the Saturday nite before the Texans game. Every player was scurrying to make curfew. LOL does Fisher have control there.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91623 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis has had a wrap for this since he was in college.

SF knew this when they drafted him but they were blinded by his potential.

Davis is a guy that plays for his own stats.

He doesn't block & he doesn't run routes if he is covered. He is a chump. What a waste of talent.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

after watching that press conference and how he set the tone from Day One of his regime all I have to say is...

Mike Singletary For President!!

Everyone in that locker room was just sent a message. My way or the highway. They aren't any worse a football team without the guy either. I hope this all works out for Mike because he probably deserved a better opportunity for success than mid-season 49er football without a QB worthy of mention.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Rosenfels as their starter next year while they draft a prospect in the 1st like Stafford from Georgia or in the 2nd-3rd with a guy like Graham out of Tech or maybe Painter out of Purdue.
Old 10-27-2008   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so glad we never made a play for Davis. He was so hyped up before draft day---going to revolutionize the TE position....what a bust
Old 10-27-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember his TE's coach riding his a$$ on the "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL" series. Talked about bad technique and such..
Old 10-27-2008   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I remember his TE's coach riding his a$$ on the "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL" series. Talked about bad technique and such..
all the crying when he was drafted was a little offputing too. i know it came from a good place (being able to take care of his loved ones and family) but it was more of a 'OMG, I just hit the lottery..money money money' than 'OMG, I am now playing the NFL and competing'. Is winning and competing that important or is it just about him and the $$?
Old 10-27-2008   #19
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter who the player is..... You Go Mike!!!!
Old 10-27-2008   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
He was so hyped up before draft day---going to revolutionize the TE position
I thought that was Reggie Bush ? Oh wait a minute that's right , he was going
to revolutionize the running-back position wasn't he ? Looks like he's having about as much success with that as Davis is with TE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read