Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Uh, Mr. Referee: Why no flag for helmet-to-helmet against AJ?

AJ got popped in the helmet by a Bengals defender who CLEARLY used his helmet against AJ's.

That non-call was bogus, IMO. He should have been flagged, and he should be facing a league fine for it this week.

The horse collaring has got to be punished more, too. I think it deserves an automatic one-game suspension so that the guys will stop doing it.

Ahman Green was going to turn the corner and pick up a lot of yards on that play...and the Bengals player's only chance was to grab the back of Green's jersey at the neck. Not only is that endangering a guy's career (especially Ahman's) but it affected the play and what it could have become, too.

Helmet-to-helmet can be accidental, but don't ya'll think you can tell when a guy is trying to bang his helmet against the other player's helmet? It certainly looked like the Bengals player was trying to send a message to AJ, at least it did to me. He didn't offer an apology, he walked around like he was a bad dude after the play was over.
Old 10-26-2008   #2
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Uh, Mr. Referee: Why no flag for helmet-to-helmet against AJ?

On a similar note, the penalty on Eugene Wilson for that hit on Housh was a terrible call.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
On a similar note, the penalty on Eugene Wilson for that hit on Housh was a terrible call.
Yep , you can see what not finishing the play in that case can do if you look back just a few plays to Walters second TD .... After that play to make the call on Wilson in that situation was rediculous .... he didnt lead with the helmet and just made sure the guy stayed down.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

There are definitely going to be some fines that come out of this game.

The helmet to helmet will get one, the horse collar will get one, and DRob will get one along with his dancing partners.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has left AJ exposed on SEVERAL passes and I worry about concussions with him. Schaub HAS to get SOME passes lower so AJ doesn't have to leave his feet to make a catch over the middle. I think the tacks game embarrasssed AJ and he's going to catch EVERYTHING thrown at him from now on. The helmet-to-helmet is partly BECAUSE AJ has to jump and catch some passes.
The horse collar call is harder for me. That has been done since football has been played and is harder to control. The one on Green clearly got a lot more jersey than shoulder pads. It's also next to impossible to NOT grab for a ball carrier running by you.
I'm more concerned with the personal foul called for unnecessary roughness after a Texan made a good play on a Bengal ( can't remember the names).
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It wasn't an intentional h2h. The defender was leading with his shoulder.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
It wasn't an intentional h2h. The defender was leading with his shoulder.
AMEN on Vonte going to the PB
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2008   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, I would do this but for some reason my DVR isn't working right.

Can anyone YouTube the Eugene Wilson hit on TJ Houshmawhatever?

I might want to write on it depending on what it shows. I really think some of the roughing calls this year are weird as heck.
Old 10-26-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

The CBS announcers were absolutely abhorrent today. They speculated that the reason Kevin Walter scored on that 39-yarder was because the defender was being gentle in order to avoid being fined for a helmet-to-helmet hit! As if the ONLY way he could have stopped Walter was to go helmet first on him!

Effing ridiculous. I really don't complain about announcers much, but today they were HORRIBLE.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I might want to write on it depending on what it shows. I really think some of the roughing calls this year are weird as heck.
Thats the play I was talking about above. No way that penalty should have been called ..... He just watched Walter score after getting off the turf in a similar situation .... you gotta finish the play.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
The CBS announcers were absolutely abhorrent today. They speculated that the reason Kevin Walter scored on that 39-yarder was because the defender was being gentle in order to avoid being fined for a helmet-to-helmet hit! As if the ONLY way he could have stopped Walter was to go helmet first on him!

Effing ridiculous. I really don't complain about announcers much, but today they were HORRIBLE.
they didnt say anything about helmet to helmet, they were talking about hitting a defenseless player (someone on the ground, or hines ward coming from the blindside). they added on to the discussion a few plays later with wilson's "hit" on a defenseless player with a kind of "damned if you do, damned if you dont" situation. the first thing mentioned though with walter is that the defender was just playing soft and not trying - walter was rolling, a simple push would've put him down ... the second announcer tossed it out there to show some of the wussification of the NFL and verified with the flag later.
Old 10-27-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought for sure they mentioned helmet-to-helmet, but if not - my mistake.

Still - for them to even bring up that the play had anything to do with the defender being afraid of being fined or flagged was ridiculous. It's not like there could have been a late hit - there was nobody else around. Hines Ward wasn't penalized, nor was he fined for his hit on Rivers, and that wasn't even close to the same situation - so if the Bengal defender was worried about that, he just isn't very smart. Apples and oranges. Walter wasn't in any way defenseless - he had the ball.

I thought when a player is referred to as being "defenseless," it usually refers to them chasing a play, without the ball, and not having their head on a swivel. I wish they'd change it from "defenseless" to "not paying attention".

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 10-27-2008   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

that's what wilson was called for, hitting a defenseless player. same as a receiver being hit without making the catch or hitting someone out of bounds - unnecessary roughness. the comparrison with hines ward's hit is that the league has taken player protection too far - hines ward's hit was clean, so was wilson's, and noone should be afraid of playing all out because of fine or suspension for doing their job. these guys are paid to beat the crap out of eachother and while it's wise to protect players when you can, the rules cant become more than the game.
Old 10-27-2008   #14
Scooter
Funky

speaking of helmets though, why are the texans' players losing their helmets so often? slaton and johnson especially cant keep theirs on.
Old 10-27-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Houshmandzadeh. don't need the video. It was a firm tackle. But he didn't lead with his helmet. And he didn't hit him as hard as he could have. He could of landed on him full force in the middle of his back. He didn't. He hit him from the side with a glancing blow. Any moron, except this moron, could tell Wilson pulled up. The official in question had a brain fart. As long as we don't see the guy calling the play off games, I'm ok with the mistake. It was clearly a very bad call.

It's illeagle....But, I'll send you the DVD if Vinny ok's it.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-27-2008 at 01:43 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

Do what I've learned to do...turn the TV sound off and turn on Vandermeer & Mr. Eleven. Vandermere is a terrible radio play by play guy. But it beats what's on the TV. We get the culls of the crews And it'll be that way until they start winning.
Old 10-27-2008   #17
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Do what I've learned to do...turn the TV sound off and turn on Vandermeer & Mr. Eleven. Vandermere is a terrible radio play by play guy. But it beats what's on the TV. We get the culls of the crews And it'll be that way until they start winning.
You know, I've tried that - but it never syncs up perfectly and that drives me crazy... plus, I like to try and keep a finger on the pulse of what is said about us nationally. I'm a glutton for punishment.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 10-27-2008   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone have video of just the Wilson hit? Even if you have to video your DVR?

If it is up pretty quickly on the YouTubes, I want to do a write up on it.
Old 10-27-2008   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Houshmandzadeh. don't need the video. It was a firm tackle. But he didn't lead with his helmet. And he didn't hit him as hard as he could have. He could of landed on him full force in the middle of his back. He didn't. He hit him from the side with a glancing blow. Any moron, except this moron, could tell Wilson pulled up. The official in question had a brain fart. As long as we don't see the guy calling the play off games, I'm ok with the mistake. It was clearly a very bad call.

It's illeagle....But, I'll send you the DVD if Vinny ok's it.
I'm convinced he made that call because he felt guilty about not making the call when AJ was smacked earlier.

When AJ stays down, shakes his head, and stumbles to his feet and wobbles around for a second...oh, and when the ref hears the really loud CRACK! noise during the play...that might be a time to yank the flag, Mr. Referee.

I was mad when it happened, I was mad at the end of the game, and I'm still mad about it today.
Old 10-27-2008   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

There was a similar play to the Walter TD a few years ago involving John Lynch of the Broncos. He complained to the refs with the exact argument that the announcers were going on about. The NFL has started penalizing and even fining players for hitting a player when he's down, regardless of helmet-to-helmet contact.

Players perform on the field just like they've practiced. If the coaches are conditioning these guys to let up on those type of plays (because of the NFL), then this is what you get. I'm happy one of these sort of things went our way for a change, but it's still BS, just like the hit by Wilson on TJH was BS. The NFL needs to address this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read