Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2008   #21
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Ferguson got to play for the same reason Kevin Walter got to play: he played his ass off on special teams. It's also the reason Molden isn't playing; he's slacking on special teams.
I don't know about that...I think Molden has been playing very well on special teams. He is usually one of the first players down the field and has made some solid open field tackles. He even helped down a punt within the opponents 5 yd. line last week.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #22
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
I agree, Wilson has looked great. Notice he protected the ball after his interception yesterday...ha ha
LOL, I noticed the same thing...I actually kept saying to myself, "just hold onto the ball, just hold onto the ball" as he was running the INT back.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #23
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
LOL, I noticed the same thing...I actually kept saying to myself, "just hold onto the ball, just hold onto the ball" as he was running the INT back.
I hear ya....I was in bed sick watching the game and one of the few times I got vocal was when he intercepted and I was shouting..."hold the ball!" The other time I mustered the strength to yell was JJ's punt return.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #24
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

You hope to see more of Dunta and Wilson in the backfield as the games progress. Both of these guys just bring an intangible to the backfield. It seems to me that Reeves is just a turn of a head away from being a good DB. I would also like to see more of Moulden...
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #25
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I said from the outset Wilson was better than any safety on this roster. Reason is, he's a matchuup guy. He was a cb in college and those are the knda safeties u need now dayys because of the y-flex te and westbrook type of backs. Look at griffin, godfrey,tenard jackson.reed, polamalu,whitner are examples of safeties whocan cover and tackle. The days of atwater and the in the box guys are dead. All the goood tams wil isolate guys like that with te's and cause touble to r dfense. Wilson played n a difficult scheme on a superbowl squad.
Old 10-27-2008   #26
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
I don't know about that...I think Molden has been playing very well on special teams. He is usually one of the first players down the field and has made some solid open field tackles. He even helped down a punt within the opponents 5 yd. line last week.
Yeah, he stopped a kickoff return before the returner got to the 20 this past week at the beginning of the game, too.
Old 10-28-2008   #27
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I said from the outset Wilson was better than any safety on this roster. Reason is, he's a matchuup guy. He was a cb in college and those are the knda safeties u need now dayys because of the y-flex te and westbrook type of backs. Look at griffin, godfrey,tenard jackson.reed, polamalu,whitner are examples of safeties whocan cover and tackle. The days of atwater and the in the box guys are dead. All the goood tams wil isolate guys like that with te's and cause touble to r dfense. Wilson played n a difficult scheme on a superbowl squad.
Couldnt agree more. You need a center fielder, not two more Lb's. Maybe we'll stop using stiffs and keep a play maker out there. Demps should only play FS if they are inside the 5 yrd line. Id rather my FS be a liability in the run than in the pass.
Old 10-28-2008   #28
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Yeah, he stopped a kickoff return before the returner got to the 20 this past week at the beginning of the game, too.
I rewatched the game and I rescind my statements. He's getting better at special teams, although I don't recall seeing him as a key blocker in Jacoby's TD return. Big props to Fred Bennett and Cecil Sapp though.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #29
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think its a great idea to have 2 veterans like Ferguson and Wilson get the bulk of the playing time at safety. Our defense's average age is something like 25 years old. We have the youngest unit in the NFL along with a terrible DC.

It couldn't hurt our defense to sacrifice some youth in the backend for experience, it'll only help. Mario even mentioned the communication was the best it had been all season on defense. Who here thinks this was because we had 2 veterans that have experience on winning teams and successful defenses playing safety? I certainly do.
Old 10-28-2008   #30
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Our secondary has been lacking veteran leadership and experience since Aaron Glenn left town all bent out of shape because they gave his job to Buchanon. If these guys can play then let them play. The Texans are always screwing the pooch when it comes to making decisions based on players age, speed, body type, or salary. It's been their M.O. for most of the teams existence. They let football players go and fill their spots with "physical specimens" who run fast or who have prototypical bodies but who can't make plays. The best defense we ever had was the first one we ever had. That says something. We drafted a defense in the expansion draft and then began upgrading it with lesser talent one year later.

Since Kubiak got here the team has been reversing this trend (though with Mario I was worried at first that we'd done it again) and if this is a sign that we're ready to start playing the "players" and benching or cutting the dead weight then it's a sign I've been waiting to see for a long time.
Old 10-28-2008   #31
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was shouting 'GET DOWN DAMNIT'. Glad he did'nt
Old 10-28-2008   #32
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I'm not a big fan of ferguson, but he's played well. I thought the should have signed wilson as a free agent. I just think this is a pas to setup the run league now I mean the in the box safety is cool when there is a fullback in the game, If there isn't a fb and the team has 3 wr ad a y-flex te, ur safety better be a coveage guy. Essentially its like a 4wrset but a team like cleveland has a power back like lewis, then u don't want cbs all of the field. That safety should be able to handle the te and all u have to do is bring in 1 extra cb. If u don't have those kinda guys, then they split winslow, clark or gates type of guys with 3wr and lewis and it stretches the defense thin.
Old 10-28-2008   #33
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ferguson got to play for the same reason Kevin Walter got to play: he played his ass off on special teams. It's also the reason Molden isn't playing; he's slacking on special teams.
I stop reading the thread after this post, just to make a comment on this. This comment couldn't be ANY further from the truth... I really hope you were just kidding.

Ok, back to the topic. If anyone hasn;t mentioned it yet, Wilson and Ferguson started in place of Demps and Harrison. Don't know whats wrong with Demps, IMO he was playing excellent in the last couple of weeks. Wilson was the guy I wanted at FS when we first signed him. I felt he could be this year Will Demps/Andre Davis. If he play up to the level I think he could, then you can go ahead and cross off FS for this off-season needs list.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #34
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I stop reading the thread after this post, just to make a comment on this. This comment couldn't be ANY further from the truth... I really hope you were just kidding.

Ok, back to the topic. If anyone hasn;t mentioned it yet, Wilson and Ferguson started in place of Demps and Harrison. Don't know whats wrong with Demps, IMO he was playing excellent in the last couple of weeks. Wilson was the guy I wanted at FS when we first signed him. I felt he could be this year Will Demps/Andre Davis. If he play up to the level I think he could, then you can go ahead and cross off FS for this off-season needs list.
If you kept reading, I rescinded my comments.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

Eh, I wouldn't mind a high pick spent on a safety, maybe like a second or a fourth. The Texans seem to be money in these rounds of the draft.
Old 10-28-2008   #36
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you kept reading, I rescinded my comments.
my mistake then. I was just alittle taken back by the comment.
Old 10-28-2008   #37
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Eh, I wouldn't mind a high pick spent on a safety, maybe like a second or a fourth. The Texans seem to be money in these rounds of the draft.
It's just not as big as a need as the DE or G/C position, IMO. I wouldn't mind drafting a SS in the 3rd or 4th since it seem like Demps(nor Harrison) is the answer to the other safety spot, and also since Ferguson is getting alittle over the hill. Pretty much we don't have any clear cut starter at SS(we have solid players that can fill in though), so I guess you can count that as a need although I wouldn't touch on it til we fill the other holes first.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read