Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2008   #41
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking News!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I was under the impression that the use of masking drugs, for whatever reason, constitutes a violation, simply because masking drugs are on the banned list? So, masking agent = steroids when it comes to reprecussions.
You are correct........I was simply saying that Masking agents (which includes diuretics) are a distinctly different category from the Anabolic agents (which includes steroids)...........however, all fall within the same NFL banned drug policies (including consequences). [FYI: LIST OF NFL BANNED DRUGS]

Quote:
Concerning a delay in suspensions, the NFL seems very keen in promoting 'fairness' and such, so I would not be surprised if they suspend players before tomorrows game. Over here in Europe, american sports are widely considered 'dirty' when it comes to the use of 'enhancers', and I am sure that the NFL, an organisation for whom moral values and such play a huge role, would take the opportunity to 'show the world' that they are indeed testing and punishing 'dirty players'
I would be very surprised if the suspension predates the London game. Big money and promotion have a funny way of getting in the way of morality.

Quote:
That being said, usually there's an A and B test done to avoid possible wrong results.If what fox 31 is reporting is based on A test results only, and if they are, I am sure that no-one will get suspended.
Malloy, I see what you are saying, EXCEPT that the APPEAL process is not initiated until well after the Test A and B are complete and confirmed, and the process has gone to the point of suspension consideration. [FYI: NFL SUBSTANCE ABUSE POLICY]

Lastly, Pittman's eratic performance can better be explained by being placed on a diuretic such as Bumetanid, rather than his "overweight" status. Diuretics taken by individuals which are prone to sweating or placed in situations which promote heavy sweating (such as heat and excercise), are very prone to exhibit problems with fluid and electrolyte (sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and chloride) balance. Once these imbalances are created, weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, restlessness, muscle pain or cramps, and unstable lowering of blood pressure is not uncommon. In respect with the lowering of the normal blood pressure, dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting is what you worry about in an athlete in peak of exertion. With a player like Pittman, especially when overweight to begin with and with questionable conditioning, the adverse effect of diuretics can be quite dramatic on performance.........not to mention dangerous to his overall well-being.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #42
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that it is not often that money and promotion gets in the way of morality. One of the few exceptions would IMO be the NFL, but hey, you are probably right

In regards to the A and B test, and suspension. Correct me if I am wrong, but if both tests are positive, suspension would be the natural next step, that is until the player is banned or cleared through an appeal? I think that my point was this, IF the Fox-info is based on positive A and B tests, said players could be suspended already.

Ofcourse I could be missing your point entirely, if that is the case then sorry
Old 10-25-2008   #43
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Waitaminute...I'm kind of confused. This is all just because of the water pill things, right? I mean, it doesn't necessarily mean he's doing roids or any other kind of illegal drugs...does it? Also, he had written consent from his doctor...

Can someone explain?
That's exactly right. But as you see, some folks enjoy jumping immediately to the worse possible conclusion with very little real evidence to support those conclusions.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #44
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That's exactly right. But as you see, some folks enjoy jumping immediately to the worse possible conclusion with very little real evidence to support those conclusions.
It does not matter really. The masking agents are on the no-no list due to their masking probabilities. The players and doctors know this, so if they end up using them anyway they're either 1: cheating, 2: too dumb. In either case... screw em
Old 10-25-2008   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I agree that it is not often that money and promotion gets in the way of morality. One of the few exceptions would IMO be the NFL, but hey, you are probably right

In regards to the A and B test, and suspension. Correct me if I am wrong, but if both tests are positive, suspension would be the natural next step, that is until the player is banned or cleared through an appeal? I think that my point was this, IF the Fox-info is based on positive A and B tests, said players could be suspended already.

Ofcourse I could be missing your point entirely, if that is the case then sorry
Actually, "suspension" is not a consideration until there is "failure" in Stage II (not Stage I, which is for clinical evaluation and treatment----there is no suspension for a player in Stage I.....only fines.) This is usually, time wise, well into the process. In other words, all this didn't just happen "overnight."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #46
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Actually, "suspension" is not a consideration until there is "failure" in Stage II (not Stage I, which is for clinical evaluation and treatment----there is no suspension for a player in Stage I.....only fines.) This is usually, time wise, well into the process. In other words, all this didn't just happen "overnight."
Gotya, thanks for clearing that up for dumb me

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read