Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2008   #41
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is our season "toast" if we lose this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If we lose to the Bungles this weekend, this season is over. Doesn't mean I'll quit watching them, but at that point I'd quit expecting anything out of them.
I second that.

Go Texans, moo moo!!
Old 10-25-2008   #42
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee View Post
Are you serious? How about JUST TWO GAMES AGO.

4th and 10? and the 20 ard or so reception, snagging it from the DB's grasps and converting that crucial 4th down? How about in the Jags game, driving down to get the game into overtime?

I could go on and on about AJ.

Mario? Have you not seen how many times the Mario sack song has come into play? He had a *huge* sack on Manning that many thought effectively ended the game against the Colts.

Pessimism is one thing, but come on now. That's crazy ridiculous.
You saved me a post.
And remember there was last year when Mario forced a fumble that led to us to getting up two scores on the Colts and finally beat them.

...how soon we forget.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #43
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I don't have the ability to record and rewatch the game, but my initial impression (opinion) was that in the second half our O went into a shell and the D was all but non-existant, again.

I have lost all faith in the ability of both of our coordinators to make in game adjustments.
Kubiak wants to run the ball to maintain a lead, that's a fantastic idea if it wasn't for the fact that our D is doing jack. If we had a decent D the running to maintain a lead mentality would work just fine.

Until we can defend against a comeback we have to come out firing, and scoring, for 4 quarters every game, never play it safe, take chances, go for 50 points a game.
Old 10-25-2008   #44
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
The catch against the Dolphins was great by any standard...I'd like to see that kind of catch more often. AJ very seldom battles for the ball.

Observe, it was a sideline catch.
Truth be told that sideline throw was with less than 2 minutes left on the clock, sideline is where you want to throw it.
Old 10-25-2008   #45
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Kubiak wants to run the ball to maintain a lead, that's a fantastic idea if it wasn't for the fact that our D is doing jack. If we had a decent D the running to maintain a lead mentality would work just fine.

Until we can defend against a comeback we have to come out firing, and scoring, for 4 quarters every game, never play it safe, take chances, go for 50 points a game.

Yep, exactly.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #46
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think if we're talking about a playoff spot then our season has been toast since the first week at Pittsburgh. We learned very quickly that we didn't have the defense to hang with anyone heading for the post season and nothing has changed in the weeks that followed. Whether we beat Cincinnati or not we'll still give them almost 400 yards of offense and probably around 28 points. We have no business thinking about the playoffs.

I'm not even a little bit upset by that though. I was very much hoping that the Texans would step up but since they haven't (on that side of the ball) I'm just taking the year one game at a time and just taking solace in the fact that our offense is maybe a few games away from being something awesome to behold. They just need more reps to work the mistakes out and get truly efficient and I hate to think that we'll probably be playing our best football after we're out of contention (at least on the offensive side).

Our defense is abysmal and nothing is going to change that as long as we're doing the same things with the same people. I've just resigned myself to the fact that we're going to see the same defense for the rest of the season led by the same guy and making the same stupid mistakes. Since it won't get any better until the end of the year (if then) I'm giving up bitching and crying about it and just going out there to watch the offense get better. They do seem to get better every year and who knows, maybe they'll get good enough to carry us to a winning record in spite of the defense.

Or maybe they'll get on a roll and something magic will happen. Who knows right? You turn a season around one game at a time so if we don't beat Cincinnati I wouldn't say our season is suddenly toast. I'd say it's "still" toast and nothing has changed.
I agree totally with that. We don't have anything close to a high caliber defense. Until we do, we're not playoff-ready.

If we lose is the season "toast"?
No.
I've seen the offense mature in many ways. We finally have a RB that's a legitimate breakaway threat. We finally have a real passing attack, not just a dink & dunk QB. Our special teams can score. Those things are improvements. But we still have holes to fill (FS, DE) and spots to upgrade (defensive coordinator). And learn to stop giving the dang ball away.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Cincy played us to the wire. Because, personally, I don't see us being 10-pt faves over Cincy. They hung in there against Pittsburgh and against Dallas - teams with 3-4 defenses that gave us fits and more "stud" players on offense than we've got. Did the talking heads happen to notice that their strength, WR, is going up against our biggest weakness, CB. Did they see CJ go off for 150+ yds on two catches last week?? My message: If we don't pressure Fitzpatrick, we lose. Speaking getting pressure, did I mention that we only have 9 sacks and Mario has six of those. So if they double team Mario, Fitzpatrick may well have all day to find 8-5 and T.J. If we're smart we'll run the ball, kill the clock, and keep those guys on the sidelines

Bottom line: I just don't see this as an automatic win.
Old 10-25-2008   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:

Thank you.
Please tell this to the folks who don't understand why we go for it on fourth down so often.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2008   #48
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My thoughts exactly..Play the entire game as though we are trailing...or we soon will be.

Old 10-25-2008   #49
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Truth be told that sideline throw was with less than 2 minutes left on the clock, sideline is where you want to throw it.
Only if you are trailing and need to stop the clock.

But my original point is that teams seem to defense AJ to make all his catches near the sideline.

It's been a long time since AJ was hit in stride down the middle of the field.

I am going strictly from memory on this, but it seems like reality to me.

I am not attempting to turn the fan base against AJ. I am only stating the way I see things, even though many think I am wrong.

Hell...I very well could be.

Old 10-25-2008   #50
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we're going to find out two things Sunday.

Is this football team ready to stand on it's hind legs...and no matter what the adversity they encounter, find a way to win ?

Is this our starting five o-lineman or are we still missing some pieces ?

I'd like to see a blow out so that we could unloaded the benches in the fourth quarter.

As far as the season being over...that was prety much taken care of when the NFL released the schedule. We're four and & half behind the titans. Unless they loose a couple of key pieces off their defense, possible, not likely, no one is going to catch them. We're o-3 in the division once again. They've already dug a pretty deep grave at this point. They can stop digging now and play some football.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-25-2008 at 12:49 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well we're going to find out two things Sunday.

Is this football team ready to stand on it's hind legs...and no matter what the adversity they encounter, find a way to win ?

Is this our starting five o-lineman or are we still missing some pieces ?

I'd like to see a blow out so that we could unloaded the benches in the fourth quarter.

As far as the season being over...that was prety much taken care of when the NFL released the schedule. We're four and & half behind the titans. Unless they loose a couple of key pieces off their defense, possible, not likely, no one is going to catch them. We're o-3 in the division once again. They've already dug a pretty deep grave at this point. They can stop digging now and play some football.
I don't know if we get a valid answer to these 2 questions if we have POSITIVE results against a team of such "caliber." However, I do believe that if the play is NEGATIVE, we may have a more valid and definitive answer.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008   #52
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

It shows just how sad our DC situation is when everyone EXPECTS one of the league's worst offenses this season to light us up.

Fire Richard Smith!!!
Old 10-25-2008   #53
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
It shows just how sad our DC situation is when everyone EXPECTS one of the league's worst offenses this season to light us up.

Fire Richard Smith!!!
Well I remember Atlanta. Richard Smith had nothing to do with the interior o-line not being able to handle the DT's of the falcons. You my son can believe what you will. I remember the St. Louis Game and what Fitzgerald did. I have a healthy respect for any NFL team....and Smith had nothing to do with that one either. The coaches have the cards they've been dealt. And that's not going to change until Mr. McNair bangs them all. Or Kubes drops down stone cold dead. Live with it.
Old 10-25-2008   #54
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well I remember Atlanta. Richard Smith had nothing to do with the interior o-line not being able to handle the DT's of the falcons. You my son can believe what you will. I remember the St. Louis Game and what Fitzgerald did. I have a healthy respect for any NFL team....and Smith had nothing to do with that one either. The coaches have the cards they've been dealt. And that's not going to change until Mr. McNair bangs them all. Or Kubes drops down stone cold dead. Live with it.
I remember Atlanta too.
I seem to recall that our defense made Joey Harrington look like Tom Brady. So, Smith did have a little something to do with that. And this year, a rookie took Harrington's job; so its not like a switch came on in Harrington's game. Smith just didn't sufficiently prepare the defensive troops.

And you'll have to refresh my memory about the Rams vs. the Texans ...unless you mean when Fitzpatrick lit us up for 310 yds & 3 TDs in 2005. Can't blame that one on Richard Smith - but it is a warning about Ryan Fitzpatrick. He brought the Rams back from 21 down in that game. Those twisted enough to want to relive it, click here

I completely agree with one thing you said. Any NFL team can take us down if we play them cheap and don't bring our A game - Atlanta was a perfect example.

Another thing you're most likely right about is that Kubiak isn't going to toss any of his coaches under the bus in mid-season. Neither is McNair. If he didn't do it to Capers, he won't ever do it.
Old 10-25-2008   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I remember Atlanta too.
I seem to recall that our defense made Joey Harrington look like Tom Brady. So, Smith did have a little something to do with that. And this year, a rookie took Harrington's job; so its not like a switch came on in Harrington's game. Smith just didn't sufficiently prepare the defensive troops.

And you'll have to refresh my memory about the Rams vs. the Texans ...unless you mean when Fitzpatrick lit us up for 310 yds & 3 TDs in 2005. Can't blame that one on Richard Smith - but it is a warning about Ryan Fitzpatrick. He brought the Rams back from 21 down in that game. Those twisted enough to want to relive it, click here

I completely agree with one thing you said. Any NFL team can take us down if we play them cheap and don't bring our A game - Atlanta was a perfect example.

Another thing you're most likely right about is that Kubiak isn't going to toss any of his coaches under the bus in mid-season. Neither is McNair. If he didn't do it to Capers, he won't ever do it.
You would have thought that they would have learned from past experience.................Naaaaa.
Old 10-25-2008   #56
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Our division is trying to get weaker............Matt Jones, The Jag's most productive WR has been suspended for 3 weeks. The suspension may not begin until week 9. He was caught by a passing policeman cutting cocaine in his car with one of his credit cards. Well, if your credit card these days are almost worthless, you've just been given a useful alternative to tearing it up.
Old 10-26-2008   #57
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Our division is trying to get weaker............Matt Jones, The Jag's most productive WR has been suspended for 3 weeks. The suspension may not begin until week 9. He was caught by a passing policeman cutting cocaine in his car with one of his credit cards. Well, if your credit card these days are almost worthless, you've just been given a useful alternative to tearing it up.

Is this a new charge? Or is it an extension of the summer cocaine charge? You would think 2 times in the same year that you're caught with cocaine would mean AT LEAST a season suspension. He obviously didn't learn the first time lol.
Old 10-26-2008   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Is this a new charge? Or is it an extension of the summer cocaine charge? You would think 2 times in the same year that you're caught with cocaine would mean AT LEAST a season suspension. He obviously didn't learn the first time lol.
This occurred in July, and the suspension was dictated by the NFL. Jones was to submit an appeal prior to the upcoming game. If this has been done, it may delay the suspension until the 9th week. Official announcement of his playing status for today has not been published anywhere that I've been able to find.
Old 10-26-2008   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Interesting that The Sports Network, despite the -9 odds, has predicted a repeat "surprise" performance by Fitzpatrick, leaving the Texans with a 20-19 loss.
Old 10-26-2008   #60
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If the offense scores points, and the defense loses us this game, perhaps then a light bulb will go off somewhere and Richard Smith will be gone. I'd take the loss if that were to happen.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read