Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2008   #21
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is our season "toast" if we lose this game?

Like the all the greats before us have said:

"A win is a win"
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #22
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Sigh.
I did not think i would have to pull this out so early, but here we go.

What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #23
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if we're talking about a playoff spot then our season has been toast since the first week at Pittsburgh. We learned very quickly that we didn't have the defense to hang with anyone heading for the post season and nothing has changed in the weeks that followed. Whether we beat Cincinnati or not we'll still give them almost 400 yards of offense and probably around 28 points. We have no business thinking about the playoffs.

I'm not even a little bit upset by that though. I was very much hoping that the Texans would step up but since they haven't (on that side of the ball) I'm just taking the year one game at a time and just taking solace in the fact that our offense is maybe a few games away from being something awesome to behold. They just need more reps to work the mistakes out and get truly efficient and I hate to think that we'll probably be playing our best football after we're out of contention (at least on the offensive side).

Our defense is abysmal and nothing is going to change that as long as we're doing the same things with the same people. I've just resigned myself to the fact that we're going to see the same defense for the rest of the season led by the same guy and making the same stupid mistakes. Since it won't get any better until the end of the year (if then) I'm giving up bitching and crying about it and just going out there to watch the offense get better. They do seem to get better every year and who knows, maybe they'll get good enough to carry us to a winning record in spite of the defense.

Or maybe they'll get on a roll and something magic will happen. Who knows right? You turn a season around one game at a time so if we don't beat Cincinnati I wouldn't say our season is suddenly toast. I'd say it's "still" toast and nothing has changed.
Old 10-24-2008   #24
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts. Before throwing stats at me, name a game on the line, where AJ or Mario stepped it up.

Are you serious? How about JUST TWO GAMES AGO.

4th and 10? and the 20 ard or so reception, snagging it from the DB's grasps and converting that crucial 4th down? How about in the Jags game, driving down to get the game into overtime?

I could go on and on about AJ.

Mario? Have you not seen how many times the Mario sack song has come into play? He had a *huge* sack on Manning that many thought effectively ended the game against the Colts.

Pessimism is one thing, but come on now. That's crazy ridiculous.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #25
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

If "inconsistent" means 2nd in the league in receptions and having the highest YPG in the entire league the past 2 years, I want 55 "inconsistent" players.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I get real worried when I hear sound bites like the one I just heard on 610 by Kubiak..............."They [Bengals] have an EXPLOSIVE offense."

How EXPLOSIVE an offense can you have being 7-0. Sounds like a CYA excuse for a coach who's also worried about having this one get away from us.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #27
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Or just sounds like coachspeak to the media.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2008   #28
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts.

Wow. Just wow.
Old 10-24-2008   #29
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

JCTexan;1031789]I agree. If we lose this week we have no shot at the playoffs.

We didn't blow a lead. The Lions would have actually had to have tied it for us to have blown a lead. They didn't since we were up 28-10 at one point. The Colts game was blowing a lead.

I thought we were up by 21-0 at one point, my memory's not the best.

My point was that we were handidly beating the Lions but for some reason we played down to them and let them back in the game.

Didn't AJ catch a pass to put us in FG position against the Jags? And what about that catch he had against the Dolphins? If that's not stepping it up I don't know what is.]

A catch against the Jags to put us in FG position? Great recievers are measured by TD catches. At least that is my measuring stick.

Through 6 games AJ has 2 TD's on 45 Receptions for 629 yards
Through 7 games Ocho has 2 TD's on 27 Receptions for 269 yards
Through 7 games TO has 5 TD's on 25 Receptions for 398 yards
Through 6 games Moss has 4 TD's on 25 Receptions for 369 yards

I just picked these players because of their name recognization, I do not know who the league leaders are at this point. Might be interesting to know.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Conclusion? Teams know how to defense AJ. Give him his catches but limit his TD's. I can't prove it but it seems most of AJs catches are sideline variety that limit any yac. Like I stated.. its only my perception.

The catch against the Dolphins was great by any standard...I'd like to see that kind of catch more often. AJ very seldom battles for the ball.

Observe, it was a sideline catch.

What is AJ's yac (contact) average? I don't know, but I doubt it ranks very high against other #1 recievers. I could be very wrong though.

I just do not hold AJ to the highest esteem other Texan fans do.

Old 10-24-2008   #30
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee View Post
Are you serious? How about JUST TWO GAMES AGO.

4th and 10? and the 20 ard or so reception, snagging it from the DB's grasps and converting that crucial 4th down? How about in the Jags game, driving down to get the game into overtime?

I could go on and on about AJ.

Mario? Have you not seen how many times the Mario sack song has come into play? He had a *huge* sack on Manning that many thought effectively ended the game against the Colts.

Pessimism is one thing, but come on now. That's crazy ridiculous.
I am relegated to using a dial up connection and looking up stats is a major time consuming effort.

Could you look up the stat leaders for this year and tell me where Mario fits into the list.

Keep reading for my opinion of Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
If "inconsistent" means 2nd in the league in receptions and having the highest YPG in the entire league the past 2 years, I want 55 "inconsistent" players.

Like I state in a previous post....

And two TD's for the year. One TD every third game.

2nd in the league in receptions and highest YPG are statistics.

TD's win games!

Statistics are for losers....I seem to remember a former players' stats being ridiculed as meaningless. But that's history and was proven correct.

We already have 54 inconsistent players and where has it gotten us?

K Brown is money.

I understand the need for us Texan fans to search for heros. I just don't think we have any... yet. But again, that's just me.

AJ and Mario are just the best on an average/below average team.

Old 10-24-2008   #31
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Wasn't it AJ who made that amazing catch to set up the winning TD against MIA?

O ya it was!
Old 10-24-2008   #32
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Char Broiled, Burnt toast - to be exact. If we let an 0-7 team get their first win against us - well, that is enough to send me to the Maalox. I don't even think the team could bounce back from that one - that would be worse than the meltdown against Indy.

This year I'm dwelling on our offense which is getting better and better. I try not to cry when the defense is on the field.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #33
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The home crowd better show up for this game. I'm confident Kubes will have the team ready but it better not look like bizarro world in the stands where one can hear the sound of a pindrop between plays when our defense is on the field
Old 10-24-2008   #34
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I am relegated to using a dial up connection and looking up stats is a major time consuming effort.

Could you look up the stat leaders for this year and tell me where Mario fits into the list.
Mario is currently tied for sixth in the NFL with 6.0 sacks. The league leader is Demarcus Ware with 9.0. Here are the numbers:

1. Demarcus Ware-Dal: 9.0
2. James Harrison-Pitt: 8.5
Joey Porter-Mia: 8.5
4. Lamar Woodley-Pitt: 7.5
5. John Abraham-Atl: 7.0
6. Kevin Williams-Minn: 6.0
Aaron Kampaman-GB: 6.0
Albert Haynesworth-Ten: 6.0
Mario Williams-HOUSTON: 6.0

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

With these comments on PFT, can you imagine the response expected if the Texans fall to a potentially 0-16 team?

Quote:
BENGALS NEED DAUNTE, NOW
Posted by Mike Florio on October 24, 2008, 8:58 p.m.

At 0-7 and facing the prospects of playing the next nine games without their franchise quarterback, the Cincinnati Bengals need help desperately at the position.

They need to sign Daunte Culpepper now.

Yeah, weíre a little bit in the tank for him. (At least we admit it.) But who else is out there?

Tim Rattay? Bruce Gradkowski? Kordell Stewart? Jeff George? (Actually, Jeff George would be fine by us, too.)

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jordan Palmer arenít the answer. Unless the question is, ďDo we want to go 0-16?Ē
So they should sign Daunte.

Did we say they should do it now?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #36
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell, I thought the season was toast after the Indy game. The huge factor is being 0-3 in the division. We have to win the last 3 division games. In a tight playoff race, that's a tiebreaker that will send you home.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #37
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

NO but it would be bad

Cincy
Minn
Balty

if we can win 2 outta 3 of thoes games then that would be decent

also Winning the Last 3 Divison games is a MUST WIN if we wanna have a chance at a wild card

Also alot of teams in the MIddle of the pack in the AFC gots to lose big time

its looking bleak but we could still make it
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #38
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep.
Old 10-24-2008   #39
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Mario is currently tied for sixth in the NFL with 6.0 sacks. The league leader is Demarcus Ware with 9.0. Here are the numbers:

1. Demarcus Ware-Dal: 9.0
2. James Harrison-Pitt: 8.5
Joey Porter-Mia: 8.5
4. Lamar Woodley-Pitt: 7.5
5. John Abraham-Atl: 7.0
6. Kevin Williams-Minn: 6.0
Aaron Kampaman-GB: 6.0
Albert Haynesworth-Ten: 6.0
Mario Williams-HOUSTON: 6.0
Thanks awtysst....so if I am correct

AJ averages a TD every third game and Mario gets 1 sack a game.

If Mario maintains that average it will be a very good year.

Don't misunderstand me, I wish both guys would dominate their positions.

I am a Texan fan after all.

Old 10-25-2008   #40
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I have been reading and re-reading this post all night wondering how many ways one can answer yes, our season is toast if we lose this game. The longer I thought about it the more I realized that answer lies in what ones goals are. If our goals are to reach the play-offs, then yes a loss this week will end our season. In my opinion, that boat has already sailed. however, if our goal is to see real improvement and to set ourselves up to have a solid team, then the jury is still out on that one until the end. This team has some talent. It also has many holes, like the DB's and our linebackers, and our pass rush and our Defensive coordinater. Some of those holes will not get fixed until the off-season if then. But things things like protecting the ball, and Offensive line blocking, and development of some of the raw young talent that we already have can be done.
Above I mentioned seeing real improvement, and I'm not talking about that manufactured slow-as-mlasses garbage that has been passing for it. I hope that if our play-off hopes end, that we will see a team emerge who really will be winners next year.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read