Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is our season "toast" if we lose this game?

Something to think about. It's the same question that the mighty Colts are asking going into this next game. I got this from a Colts article. But it's very applicable and sobering to OUR situation..............especially, since we have already lost once to each of our AFC South brethren............and we're only thinking of "making it into the playoffs." :

Quote:
Then again, here's why you don't want to start 3-4

Of the 168 teams to reach the conference finals in the Super Bowl era, only seven started the season 3-4. And only one of those lost its next game: the 1996 Jaguars, who actually lost their next two and three of four to start 4-7, and still somehow found their way to the AFC title game.

Moral of the story, that anomaly aside? If you start 3-4, you had better start winning in a hurry. See here.

Teams that started 3-4 or worse and reached a conference title game:

Team Year Start Then Finish Playoffs
Steelers 1976 3-4 Won 7 straight 10-4 Lost in AFC title game
Vikings 1987 3-4 Won 4 straight 8-7 Lost in NFC title game
Steelers 1995 3-4 Won 8 straight 11-5 Lost in Super Bowl
Jaguars 1996 3-4 Lost 2, and 3 of 4 9-7 Lost in AFC title game
Bucs 1999 3-4 Won 6 straight 11-5 Lost in NFC title game
Patriots 2001 3-4 Won 2 straight 11-5 Won Super Bowl
Titans 2002 3-4 Won 3 straight 11-5 Lost in AFC title game

Teams that started 3-4 or worse since '02 realignment and reached playoffs

Team Year Start Then Finish Playoffs
Jets 2002 2-5 Won 4 straight 9-7 Lost divisional game
Titans 2002 3-4 Won 3 straight 11-5 Lost in AFC title game
Browns 2002 3-4 Won 1, then lost 9-7 Lost wild-card game
Giants 2002 3-4 Won 3 straight 10-6 Lost wild-card game
Packers 2003 3-4 Won 1, then lost 10-6 Lost divisional game
Packers 2004 3-4 Won 4 straight 10-6 Lost wild-card game
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #2
txchick1971
SassyRedneck

Rep Power: 16 txchick1971 could be on the next Madden covertxchick1971 could be on the next Madden covertxchick1971 could be on the next Madden covertxchick1971 could be on the next Madden covertxchick1971 could be on the next Madden covertxchick1971 could be on the next Madden covertxchick1971 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Is our season "toast" if we lose this game?

with jelly to be exact.....jk, but really can we recover from that?
txchick1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If we lose to the Bungles this weekend, this season is over. Doesn't mean I'll quit watching them, but at that point I'd quit expecting anything out of them.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Not technically. But, practically, yes.

You figure you need 9-10 wins to get in. We have 10 games left with only 2 wins. That means we'd need to go 7-3 at the least to have a shot. Considering the disparity in our home play versus road play (with 5 road games left,) I'd say a home game versus a winless team is a must win.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 10-24-2008 at 12:04 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #5
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Well, yeah it's toast already I would think...

but if there's a loss this week, I'm hope there's some burning of butts afterwards.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #6
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

yes

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Until we prove we can be anything resembling a team that can win a road game, we're not going anywhere. Beating the Lions and Bengals means nothing. If they beat Cincy then pull the upset in Minnesota - that will go a long way. The Texans are a horrible, awful road team.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2008   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The playoffs is the last thing on my mind right now.

We still have to win three in a row for the first time in franchise history. Sunday is our next chance to accomplish this task, and against an 0-7 team in our stadium, I'm not sure what else would be required to set it up better for us.

And beyond that, we still have to establish our first winning season in franchise history. I just cannot believe in a playoff run for this team until they can learn how to walk first. Right now we are in year 7 of baby steps.
Old 10-24-2008   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

We still have to win three in a row for the first time in franchise history. Sunday is our next chance to accomplish this task, and against an 0-7 team in our stadium, I'm not sure what else would be required to set it up better for us.

And beyond that, we still have to establish our first winning season in franchise history. I just cannot believe in a playoff run for this team until they can learn how to walk first. Right now we are in year 7 of baby steps.
Let's just hope that after the past 4 weeks, we've learned how to finish.

And let's hope that we remember to start like we did against the Lions.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

so right

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #11
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Operation .500 would be hard to achieve if we loose this week and the season depnds on the Texans being as close to .500 as possible.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a loss to the Bengals would mean one of three things to the majority of posters here. I would fall into category one.

1) It would mean the Texans aren't going anywhere this season and there are serious concerns for the team's direction.
2) Mediocre is good enough.
3) It would be further proof the Texans are constantly improving and on the cusp of being dominant.

It all depends on the point of view.
Old 10-24-2008   #13
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

You know the old saying....... "On any given Sunday, the Texans have a shot at beating a team they are supposed to beat."
Old 10-24-2008   #14
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed.

If this team cannot beat the Bengals this week then we have accomplished nooothinnng.

I have no faith that we will win. That is how jaded I have become about our Texans.

We blew a 21 point lead at home to the Lions and had to hold on by our fingernails to salvage a win at home.

Pathetic display despite the quick start.

I don't have the ability to record and rewatch the game, but my initial impression (opinion) was that in the second half our O went into a shell and the D was all but non-existant, again.

I have lost all faith in the ability of both of our coordinators to make in game adjustments.

Kubiak is trying to build a team and at the same time train coaches to be coordinators. It doesn't appear that he is being too successful at the later.

Despite the stats (which here in the past have been proven to be misleading) Matt Schaub is not the answer. He is a turnover machine that cannot lift his level of play to overcome his turnovers.

AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts. Before throwing stats at me, name a game on the line, where AJ or Mario stepped it up.

I'm soooooo tired of waiting...

Old 10-24-2008   #15
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
You know the old saying....... "On any given Sunday, the Texans have a shot at beating a team they are supposed to beat."
Exactly...with an equal possibility/probability of losing the same game.

Sorry gang...my pessimism has won.

Old 10-24-2008   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're already toast.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #17
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Agreed.

If this team cannot beat the Bengals this week then we have accomplished nooothinnng.

We blew a 21 point lead at home to the Lions and had to hold on by our fingernails to salvage a win at home.
I agree. If we lose this week we have no shot at the playoffs.

We didn't blow a lead. The Lions would have actually had to have tied it for us to have blown a lead. They didn't since we were up 28-10 at one point. The Colts game was blowing a lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts. Before throwing stats at me, name a game on the line, where AJ or Mario stepped it up.

I'm soooooo tired of waiting...

Didn't AJ catch a pass to put us in FG position against the Jags? And what about that catch he had against the Dolphins? If that's not stepping it up I don't know what is.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The win loss record is what I had expected, it just bothers me how the team has given away Ws . This year for me was about solidifying the team and gettig the new offense going. The receiving game is where I hoped it would be and both Slaton and Brown have fulfilled my expectations and then some. I expect Houston to crush Bengals and show a "finisher's" attitude not seen last week. I want JJ to have a great game and hug momma again. Maybe twice. I want to see at least four sacks for our D line and to have some huge knock downs by the dbacks maybe an INT or two. It's time for Richard Smith to convince fans he is the guy.

I am so confident of a lopsided score, I have accepted an invitation to go for a sail Sunday after church and not watch the game. First one I've missed since Texans started.
Old 10-24-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans lose to the Bengals this Sunday, the Texans have made arrangements for a bodyguard to walk the coaches to the tunnel.

The quality, of course, is reflected by the present economy..........and the level of true committment to protect the staff.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80525 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe not toast but more like a burnt pop-tart, even though its ruined it still has some potential.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read