Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who is going to be our KR during AD's absence
Jacoby Jones 58 62.37%
David Anderson 23 24.73%
Steve Slaton 7 7.53%
Kevin Walter 0 0%
Other......i.e. that Moats kid or who? 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2008   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who's going to be our interim KR?

Who do you think it will be? Poll to follow.

I think Jacoby or Anderson, I really wouldn't mind at all to see Anderson back there. I feel a little more comfortable, he's a steady with great hands. I think he has a good enough burst and vision to do a good job.

With Jacoby, he's more explosive without a doubt and has that big play ability but scares me with the his lack of ball protection. If he can get more reliable, and he steps up while AD is out then it's a no brainer. But until then, let him keep building confindence returning punts and getting more reps at WR with Davis out.

I should add that I would love to see Slaton do it but I just don't think it would be wise to risk our most productive RB in that situation. I bet he would light it up though.
Old 10-23-2008   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who's going to be our interim KR?

I think it will be Jacoby. David Anderson fumbled a punt in preseason too, so it's not like it's a no-brainer of a decision. Both are a risk, but JJ has more upside, so I think you go with JJ.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ gives me heart palpitations with the way he handles to ball so carelessly, but it will probably be him back there anyways.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I think it will be Jacoby. David Anderson fumbled a punt in preseason too, so it's not like it's a no-brainer of a decision. Both are a risk, but JJ has more upside, so I think you go with JJ.
I picked Anderson. But I think it will definetly be him or Jacoby. I agree with you about JJ. All he needs to do is show he can be consistent protecting the ball and making good decisions and it's his job to lose. Maybe it's time just to give the reins to JJ, time for him to step up. I will be fine if that is what they do.

That being said, I prefer to see Anderson right now, I just trust him a little better taken care of the ball even if he fumbled one in preseason.

It's going to be intersting.
Old 10-23-2008   #5
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I should add that I would love to see Slaton do it but I just don't think it would be wise to risk our most productive RB in that situation. I bet he would light it up though.
I agree with this statement. I'd rather see Jacoby Jones handling the ball horribly, than possibly seeing our best running back get injured on a return. Knowing the Texans' luck with injuries it would probably happen too...
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

The "Moats kid" reference in the poll is from Kubiak on TexansTV @ the main site.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/# "Running game taking shape" is the vid.
Old 10-23-2008   #7
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is JJ, and I intend to take along a bottle of maalox, cause that boy makes my stomach do flip flops every time he hits the field. Between him and our corners I just might have a nervous breakdown before the season is over!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2008   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
I agree with this statement. I'd rather see Jacoby Jones handling the ball horribly, than possibly seeing our best running back get injured on a return. Knowing the Texans' luck with injuries it would probably happen too...
Agree 100%. This was my reason for choosing JJ and not SS.
Old 10-23-2008   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
My guess is JJ, and I intend to take along a bottle of maalox, cause that boy makes my stomach do flip flops every time he hits the field. Between him and our corners I just might have a nervous breakdown before the season is over!
i couldn't agree more. he turns his eyes too quickly upfield and I don't like how he really gets under the ball's trajectory. He ends up catching it like a pop fly and is then left flat footed. he does have good feet though, some of the best i have seen since a guy named Deion. he is a dangerous return guy but too often the danger is related to his own team due to inexperience and sometimes braindeadedness (new word) at least he makes plays though, so take what you can get.

as for the OT, i would give the ball to Anderson as Slaton is too valuable as our #1 back and Jones is needed for PR already.
Old 10-23-2008   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Put that boy Jacoby Jones in there!!! If not him, give it to David Anderson... he won't have any trouble holding onto the football. Either way I think we are good.
Old 10-23-2008   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I picked Anderson. But I think it will definetly be him or Jacoby. I agree with you about JJ. All he needs to do is show he can be consistent protecting the ball and making good decisions and it's his job to lose. Maybe it's time just to give the reins to JJ, time for him to step up. I will be fine if that is what they do.

That being said, I prefer to see Anderson right now, I just trust him a little better taken care of the ball even if he fumbled one in preseason.

It's going to be intersting.
I picked Anderson, too. Might as well trot out a backup WR with some move-making ability than Jacoby or Slaton right now.

If Slaton returns kickoffs, Gary Kubiak should be fired. Period.

We waited long enough to regain a running back with playmaking ability...just to run him straight into gunners on special teams.
Old 10-23-2008   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I picked Anderson, too. Might as well trot out a backup WR with some move-making ability than Jacoby or Slaton right now.

If Slaton returns kickoffs, Gary Kubiak should be fired. Period.

We waited long enough to regain a running back with playmaking ability...just to run him straight into gunners on special teams.
The problem is, Anderson is going to see even more action on offense with AD out. He was valuable before, but now he is going to be a starter. Jacoby, on the other hand, is still a backup (4 WR set). For safety reasons, it should be JJ, I think.

I agree about Slaton. We can't be like the Saints and let our Lightning get injured on special teams.

P.S. - Are you still booing Schaub after last week?
Old 10-23-2008   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked JJ. I like him, I just don't like the way he holds the ball when he runs. It's way too exposed and he swings it in his arms while he runs. He should tuck it tight instead of 6" away from his body, he's begging someone to knock it loose. I've never returned NFL kickoffs, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Therefore, I feel that I'm more than qualified to post my opinion.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

It's more than likely JJ. Which really is a scary situation. He better tuck that ball in, otherwise we'll be gaining on our minus turnover ratio this week.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #15
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't it fumbling that put Moats in the Eagles' doghouse?

I wonder how Jerome's hammys are doing.....
Old 10-23-2008   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
It's more than likely JJ. Which really is a scary situation. He better tuck that ball in, otherwise we'll be gaining on our minus turnover ratio this week.
Yep, my only hope is that he'll be a little more stable since he doesn't have to worry about a guy "right in his face" on a KR.
Old 10-23-2008   #17
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

David Anderson will be the guy. Just wait and see.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #18
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones. The staff has intended for him to be the return guy all along..... Now he gets his chance. He just better hold on to the ball.
Old 10-23-2008   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's post-practice quote:

Quote:
(on if he has firmed up what he is going to do about replacing WR André Davis on kickoff returns) “Well, it’s either going to be (WR) Jacoby (Jones) or (WR) David (Anderson) probably, because I won’t put (RB Steve) Slaton back there being our starting tailback right now. But, we’ll keep working them again tomorrow. It will be one of those two.”
Glad to see he won't put Slaton back there. Other than that, sounds like he still doesn't have his decision locked up.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he'll try both JJ and Anderson out. Never know with Kubiak!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read