Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2008   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question about LBs

I don't know if this belongs in another forum but here it goes.

I love Demeco Ryans. I think he is a great linebacker and probably one of the most talented young lbs in the game right now. He's aggressive, plays smart and fundamentally sound. This is why I think we are wasting him at MLB. Originally he was drafted to play OLB but we didn't have a MLB so we had to put him there and he excelled.

I wouldn't mind drafting another MLB or even getting one in FA who could come and let Ryans play where Morlon Greenwood is right now who just barely made two good tackles against Miami.

While playing at Alabama, Demeco caused havoc for opposing QBs. Check out the bowl game vs. Texas Tech.Could you imagine if Ryans is lined up at OLB and looking like he is going to blitz? The d definetly has to account for him and figure out what to do with Mario at the same time. Even if he drops back in coverage he is the only LB we have that keeps up with TEs and knows how to tackle.

I know it isn't broke so don't try to fix it. But is it really not broken? I look at it as an upgrade otherwise we have to hope that Adibi works out which I haven't even seen the dude in pads at all.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #2
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Question about LBs

I think the argument is that you don't move a guy who is having success at one position (pro-bowl) to another slot.

That being said, I tend to agree with you. I have seen differing opinions on Diles, but I think he has played well for a first year starter and is improving every week. If you move Ryans to Greenwood's spot, you just have to fill the middle.

I am all for experimenting with the guys we have now. I say move Ryans to the side, plug in Bently or Thompson and see what that combination can do.

It can't be much worse.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope you don't get lambasted for this heresy the way some of us did whenever we brought this up a while ago...
Old 10-21-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

we need to see Richard Smith make some adjustments to add more speed on the outside this weekend to contain Fitzpatrick as he is most effective outside the pocket. if that entails benching Greenwood to move DeMeco outside & let Kevin Bently hold the middle I say lets get the most productive players on the field @ the same time for a change

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #5
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I just hope you don't get lambasted for this heresy the way some of us did whenever we brought this up a while ago...
I can take...I can no longer stay silent
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

As per the announcers during last weeks game, Kubiak himself apprently said he was pleased with the play of his three line backers, and believed that position to be set. They went on to say that he is not pleased with the DL and Secondary, and those are the priorities

As for Diles and Greenwoods tackle stats, I think those are more indicative of teams running away from Greenwoods side and towards Diles side (Greenwood usually lines up behind Mario on run downs, and team have been running more infrequently to that side).

This leads to a bunch of tackles for Diles

Putting DeMeco in for Greenwood would basically take him out of a lot of run plays (they'll just run away from him) and make him responsible for covering the TE on passing downs, something we all know he doesn't excel at nearly as much as he does playing the MLB
Old 10-21-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure about moving D-Ryans, but we damn sure need some LB's. That said, if we were to bring in a FA or draft pick that's a sure fire MLB then I'd be game making the move. I'd most definitely keep D-Ryans the defensive captain.

Unless there's a good Guard available, I'm all for a defensive draft.

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 10-21-2008 at 02:45 PM.
HOU-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2008   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not sure about moving D-Ryans, but we damn sure need some LB's. That said, if we were to bring in a FA or draft pick that's a sure fire MLB then I'd be game making the move. I'd most definitely keep D-Ryans the defensive caption.

So is that like a picture of all 11 defensive players and underneath the pic it just says "Demeco Ryans"?

(just bustin' your chops a little)
Old 10-21-2008   #9
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So is that like a picture of all 11 defensive players and underneath the pic it just says "Demeco Ryans"?

Personally, I think we should move 'em outside and keep him as the caption, also!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Why hasn't Adibi seen the field, I have not seen him out there since pre-season.
Old 10-21-2008   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That said, if we were to bring in a FA or draft pick that's a sure fire MLB then I'd be game making the move. I'd most definitely keep D-Ryans the defensive caption.

I'd like to have the MLB from USC.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Question about LBs

Briefly - DR's ankle is bum, part of why he has been a little off this year

I think he is like Mario, a skilled and talented guy who could destroy if he had an decent LB to play with (DE for Mario).

I think if we got a decent NFL calibre MLB DR would create havoc from the outside, and maybe give Mario that other effective pass rusher for D's to contend with.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Personally, I think we should move 'em outside and keep him as the caption, also!
Alright, alright, so I messed up once. I never claimed to be a perfectionist like johnsonfan.
Old 10-21-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Why hasn't Adibi seen the field, I have not seen him out there since pre-season.
He's been hurt or sick the entire time. He's really behind when it comes to reps. I was hoping he'd have taken Greenwood's spot by now but you can't do that if you can't practice (and you're a rook.)
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I think if we got a decent NFL calibre MLB DR would create havoc from the outside, and maybe give Mario that other effective pass rusher for D's to contend with.
Exactly. If we had Patrick Willis in the Mike, Demeco on the outside, and Mario, Demeco and Mario would be even more monstrous than they are now.
Old 10-21-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's been hurt or sick the entire time. He's really behind when it comes to reps. I was hoping he'd have taken Greenwood's spot by now but you can't do that if you can't practice (and you're a rook.)
Yeah, from what Kubiak has said he's having trouble holding his weight, much less gaining any.

I was pro-IRing him before the season due to his lack of field time then. Now I wonder why it hasn't been done yet. Kevis Coley could've taken his spot until next season. Coley would've at least been able to contribute to the team by now.
Old 10-21-2008   #17
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
As per the announcers during last weeks game, Kubiak himself apprently said he was pleased with the play of his three line backers, and believed that position to be set. They went on to say that he is not pleased with the DL and Secondary, and those are the priorities
I think this is pretty accurate. McClain stated acouple of times that the Texans drafted Adibi and hoped he could push Morlon for the WLB spot this year. Obviously things didn't worked out the way they planned because of injuries and weight problem, but he could be in the mix later this season(like Diles last year) or maybe next season.

I don't think the Texans is going to draft a OLB high in the next draft, and if they do decide to draft one at all it'll probably be for depth/ST purposes.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, from what Kubiak has said he's having trouble holding his weight, much less gaining any.
That was when he had a stomach virus. He had it for a couple of weeks. A lot of people misinterpreted this as Adibi losing weight for some unknown reason (like some unknown illness) or him not being able to bulk up.

But then after being ill in the preseason, I think he got hit by another virus (or illness) that same week that Matt got sick. That week, there were several people throughout the league that were all ill. I was surprised there wasn't more investigation or reporting on that.
Old 10-21-2008   #19
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That was when he had a stomach virus. He had it for a couple of weeks. A lot of people misinterpreted this as Adibi losing weight for some unknown reason (like some unknown illness) or him not being able to bulk up.

But then after being ill in the preseason, I think he got hit by another virus (or illness) that same week that Matt got sick. That week, there were several people throughout the league that were all ill. I was surprised there wasn't more investigation or reporting on that.
Mystery solved. It was Tatum Bell tainting everyones water bottle at their practice for not giving him a call after getting canned in Detroit.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think our most productive LB group would be:

Sam - Diles

Mike - Bentley

Will - Ryans

There are several problems with that however...

Ryans is the signal caller on defense plus the whole all pro MLB thing he has going for him, Bentley has been cited as the captain on special teams (he's like the DeMeco of the kick coverage units) and moving him to starting defense would cause a dropoff in special teams, and Greenwood doesn't play ST and if he did there would be a dropoff from Bentley.

I just hope that Amobi becomes the player we hoped he'd be sooner than later so that the Texans dont end up kicking themselves for passing over Willis, Marshawn Lynch, or Reevis

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read