Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-21-2008   #21
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Petey Faggins

In football, u can't hide players. Go and ask dallas how they did hiding roy wiliams.People want to say play the slot. Most times those are the quick shifty route runner types. I mean roscoe in buffalo, wade in minny, gonzales in indy, and on really good teams, they'll move on of their good wr's in the slot because they have the entire field to work with. Bottomline, he should be on the bench.
Old 10-21-2008   #22
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw this on another board, thought it was funny...and sad.
Old 10-21-2008   #23
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Let's see.

Happen to know anyone on the team who could cover Calvin Johnson?

I thought so.
i believe it has already been stated that Bennett covered him and made a play on the ball to break up an otherwise clear touchdown.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #24
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
By now, we should all know what Petey is capable of. And covering NFL WR one on one isn't one of those things.
There, fixed it for ya. He brings nothing to the table what so ever.
Old 10-21-2008   #25
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 23 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Let's see.

Happen to know anyone on the team who could cover Calvin Johnson?

I thought so.
Exactly - no one in the league can cover a 6'5", 4.2 speed 235lb receiver one on one. It doesn't happen without getting toasted at least once a game, especially since the Texans were not getting enough pressure on the rookie QB with the banged up Lions' offensive line. As has already been posted, Faggins is good in nickle and dime packages, and either should have had safety help on that play or the coaches simply made a poor decision. Can TO be covered one-on-one? No. Can our own Andre Johnson be covered one-on-one? No.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #26
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I Like Petey. He plays a role. You don't need a team with 5 starting caliber CBs to win. He is a good nickel or dime corner, and is great at defending 3rd and long situations.

The problem with him is that he's not fast. As far as the NFL goes, Petey is slow. Why they keep matching him 1 on 1 with the other teams fastest player is a coaching problem, not a personnel problem. That was a dumb move on the coaches, end of story.
There arent too many slow guys at WR in the NFL. Even those slot guys. He has no place on an NFL roster, except maybe special teams. Its pathetic that they try to force feed how good he is when its painfuolly obvious hes not.
Old 10-21-2008   #27
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Calvin Johnson had 2 catches all game. ALL GAME. And one of those was a hail mary where he wasn't even in the end zone. So Calvin Johnson had ONE catch.

From what I've heard, Harrison was supposed to be the deep cover on that play. He blew his assignment and was benched. As was Petey.

DeMarcus is a good cover corner if he has safety help or if he isn't covering a 4.3 guy. He doesn't have 4.3 speed. He can cover #2 and possession receivers.

A team with a terrible secondary CAN NOT afford to just ditch our only veterans. Thats a terrible strategy, and setting us up for failure. We aren't a team with enough depth to just outright cut starters on our team. Especially when the mistake is, in my opinion, on the coaches.

We as fans have got to quit having such knee jerk reactions. Petey got burned by Lee Evans years ago. He got burned by Calvin Johnson. Both are speedsters. How many CBs in the league would be cut after playing Randy MOss or AJ if every team cut whoever got burned.

I'm not saying that Petey is great, or even very good. I'm saying he's solid when he's used correctly. There are maybe 10-15 corners in this league who can match up with anybody at any time. Otherwise, I'd say all the rest of them are going to need help against the elite WRs every once in a while.

Am I glad he's a starter on this team? No. But at the same time, I know he's our best option at the moment
Old 10-21-2008   #28
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

They can no longer play hide the Petey... I am so tired of "lee evans" type plays, that or he gives up big first downs when they really need a third down stop. If he is gonna press Cj at least put a shoulder into in within the first 5 yds.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #29
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
They can no longer play hide the Petey... I am so tired of "lee evans" type plays, that or he gives up big first downs when they really need a third down stop. If he is gonna press Cj at least put a shoulder into in within the first 5 yds.
They were not playing hide the Petey. Give the guy some credit. He is a very good Cover guy on short to medium passing routes. I am all for guys having opinions and blowing off steam on message boards but the way some of you guys act when players make mistakes is just a TAD bit rediculous.

Petey cannot cover deep, well known fact. He should have had safety help over the top. That was either a coaching issue or a blown assignment by Harrison.

If your argument is Bennett should have been on the field instead then I 100% agree with you. But to say Petey shouldnt be on the team or on the field as a nickle or dime back is inacurate.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 292438 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
From what I've heard, Harrison was supposed to be the deep cover on that play. He blew his assignment and was benched. As was Petey.
Bingo! I'm glad you made this point, gtex. Faggins was supposed to have help on that play and the defense just broke down yet again. Where was our pass rush on that play? We've got a sub-par QB in the freakin' endzone, and dude is able to stand back there long enough for that bomb to develop?!

Our defense is seriously bad, and Faggins is this week's dunce on a stool to represent it.
Old 10-21-2008   #31
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

according to Kubiak Faggins was supposed to be deep. I haven't heard anything about the safety. i haven't finished listening to the Kubiak show though. maybe i'm not up to speed but at the press conference he said Faggins was supposed to be deep. all that quarter half quarter stuff... i don't know what that means. does that mean a saftey is supposed to be over him?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey defines the melancholy state of affairs of the Texans db's forever but of course has really only been since inception

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
In football, u can't hide players. Go and ask dallas how they did hiding roy wiliams.People want to say play the slot. Most times those are the quick shifty route runner types. I mean roscoe in buffalo, wade in minny, gonzales in indy, and on really good teams, they'll move on of their good wr's in the slot because they have the entire field to work with. Bottomline, he should be on the bench.
Um, they broke his arm with a hammer?
Old 10-21-2008   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
And thats the point, its not just speed guys. EVERYONE makes catches. Look at some stats and see how many 3rd and 8+ we give up. I bet its sickening.
Old 10-21-2008   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
according to Kubiak Faggins was supposed to be deep. I haven't heard anything about the safety. i haven't finished listening to the Kubiak show though. maybe i'm not up to speed but at the press conference he said Faggins was supposed to be deep. all that quarter half quarter stuff... i don't know what that means. does that mean a saftey is supposed to be over him?
My understanding from what Kubiak said was that Petey was supposed to be playing back. He wasn't going to be getting safety help so he shouldn't have been playing up on his man.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #36
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey couldn't cover me.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #37
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
My understanding from what Kubiak said was that Petey was supposed to be playing back. He wasn't going to be getting safety help so he shouldn't have been playing up on his man.
That was my take on Kubiak's comment as well. Seems like a coaching gaffe to me. Even if Faggins played way off the line there's no way I want him to be the last man between CJ and the end zone.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #38
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey is garbage & i don't need a 97 yd. TD in 2008 to tell me what i've known since 2004......

the fact that we have him as a starter speaks volumes about the terrible state our secondary is in. In this day & age, the TE's are usually the 3rd options for Qb's as they are most times athletic enough to flex out & run routes like a WR & that's nearly half the league at this point...so those of you advocating we keep him as a nickel back & for "veteran leadership" lol, do you really want to see him trying to cover an Antonio Gates or a Dallas Clark?

he shouldn't be on the field except for in the gravest situations & in minimal spurts....as in special teams or both of our starters & nickel CB is hurt.......that's it.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #39
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
That was my take on Kubiak's comment as well. Seems like a coaching gaffe to me. Even if Faggins played way off the line there's no way I want him to be the last man between CJ and the end zone.
That's my take on it as well. I was at the game & had a backside view of the play & there was no safety for miles after he caught that pass. It was a coaching gaffe (surprise, surprise!) to let faggins go 1 on 1 with CJ.

but imo it's more on Faggins simply b/c he was not in the correct position to begin with. If he's off CJ the customary 5 (in our case 7) he's not burnt so easily as he was, the ball doesn't come out as quick & maybe by then the D-line is there to sack Orlovsky or at make him throw it away.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #40
Polo

But the Texans have the talent to compete if only the co-ordinator used them right...

suuuuurrre....

That's why we've failed to find an upgrade over Petey Faggins since our inception....

That's why we can afford for players to get hurt...Because of all the talent and depth we have that our D-coordinator fails to use...

Question: Haynesworth is a beast. Does the Titans defense take a huge step back if he misses a game or two?

Question: Mario is a beast. Would our defense miss him much if he had to sit out a game or two?

With all the serviceable talent we have, I'm guessing no. We could always depend on other guys to step up and atleast play at a winning level right ?

The only scheme that keeps Petey from getting burnt is one that keeps him on the sidelines...

Last edited by Polo; 10-21-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read