Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2008   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Petey Faggins

I saw this guy get crispified on a 96 yard bomb and the very next play, the extra point he is laughing in the huddle and gets burned on the 2 point conversion. how much of ths are we gonna have to swallow before they let the young guys try to take the job he does so poorly. I know he has chewed off his fingers knowing Dunta is chomping at his heels. I cannot wait till this guy gets the Ax, he is as bad as NoTime.
Old 10-20-2008   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Petey Faggins

Maybe our DC should know better than to put Faggins in man coverage on the freak that is Calvin Johnson.

By now, we should all know what Petey is capable of. And covering CJ one on one isn't one of those things.

I'm certainly not happy about it. But he is what he is. A nickelback who is for some reason playing man coverage on one of the best WRs in the league.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

This was actually a topic on 610 on the way home. And they made valid points.

Bennett is the best cover corner right now on the team, step for step.
Reeves and Faggins are corners, but not good "cover" corners.

Bennett is sitting on the bench. Faggins is starting. Bennett also slid to the #4 corner when Dunta came back, with Molden at #5.

Makes me wonder what Fred did so bad to earn that role. Sure, Petey has had a couple good games...but I believe Fred is the better cover corner. I have no idea why Molden isn't in on any plays except for special teams considering how high everyone was on him in training camp.

I'm also sick of the corners only playing one side of the field. If it were up to me (and if Dunta was healthy), your #1 corner should play the #1 reciever. I just don't get Hoke's philosophy from day one, how the #1 plays the right side, #2 plays the left. ???
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

When Dunta gets better, he'll definitely be our #1. I can't imagine that Faggins is starting when Dunta takes over again as the starter.
Now if only Bennett would get the start along with him, that would make our secondary pretty good. Not sure why Bennett is #4 on the depth chart.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering Corners are suppose to covering players, shouldn't our best cover corners be on the field? As opposed to our best non-cover corners, if such a thing really exists.

DRob - I don't see him being healthy and being himself until next year. This would be his putting work in to really get back next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, on another Lions drive, Freddie B broke up what would have been a near TD by CJ. He was stride for stride with him and moved his body into excellent position.

Why our best vertical defender is not starting is beyond me. Toss Petey.
Old 10-20-2008   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I Like Petey. He plays a role. You don't need a team with 5 starting caliber CBs to win. He is a good nickel or dime corner, and is great at defending 3rd and long situations.

The problem with him is that he's not fast. As far as the NFL goes, Petey is slow. Why they keep matching him 1 on 1 with the other teams fastest player is a coaching problem, not a personnel problem. That was a dumb move on the coaches, end of story.
Old 10-20-2008   #8
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How many times do we have to go through this while Peetey laughs at his mistakes in the huddle. Can him right now.
Old 10-20-2008   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
How many times do we have to go through this while Peetey laughs at his mistakes in the huddle. Can him right now.
How do we have any idea what he was laughing about or if he was laughing? Maybe he was crying, and it looked like laughing?

Maybe he was feeling really crappy, and DeMeco knew he needed a mentally ready Petey to hold up on the 2 pt conversion, so he said something funny.

If he was actually laughing as in "Oops, My bad. Hahaha" Then yeah, thats a problem

But its too difficult for a fan to know what was going on. The coaches like his work ethic and attitude. I'll cut him a break on this one, because I think it was a terrible deensive call
Old 10-20-2008   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Yeah, that really gets to me. When I screw something up at my job I sure as hell don't laugh about it. My boss man would tear me a new one.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #11
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Petey has a role to play on this team, but it's one that requires safety help over the top at all times. Ultimately he should be a nickel or dime back, and shouldn't be paired all alone with an elite receiver. I think he can be a very productive player for us in that setting.

Reeves takes a lot of grief this season, but honestly I'm not sure I can remember him getting flat out burned this year. He shadows everyone pretty much step for step. As most of you know the problem is he can't get his head turned. Once he figures that out, if he figures that out, he could be a pretty damn good #2 IMO. As of now, he's alright.

Bennett is a player that's still learning in my book. Appears to have great athleticism, can match up with the taller receivers and compete for jump balls. Seems to have good ball skills. I don't think he's as good at shadowing his man as Reeves yet, I see him bite on more double moves and falling a step back more often. Not intending to bash him, I think he should start over Faggins and has a chance to be a very good player but I think in year 2 now he's still honing his game quite a bit.

Dunta is still a question mark until he has more time to get over his injury. Didn't see him approaching the ball carrier with quite the same aggressiveness as in the past, he's got some rust to shake off.

Finally, Molden needs some PT. Looked good in pre-season to me, we should give him some snaps as the year progresses and see how he's progressing.

All in all, no superstars but plenty of talent to be a good secondary with the proper coaching/support. I think Petey is everyone's favorite whipping boy, but in the correct role is a solid player.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
The thing is, on another Lions drive, Freddie B broke up what would have been a near TD by CJ. He was stride for stride with him and moved his body into excellent position.

Why our best vertical defender is not starting is beyond me. Toss Petey.

Bennett has been missing tackles (like that's been anything new for much of the D). His shoulder may still be a problem.......and that would certainly be a factor that could lead to questionable tackling practices........and a limited showing.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Bennett has been missing tackles (like that's been anything new for much of the D). His shoulder may still be a problem.......and that would certainly be a factor that could lead to questionable tackling practices........and a limited showing.
True but it hasn't effected him from the waist down... and that's where Petey struggles. A poster used the term "maxed out" and I think that is appropriate.
Old 10-20-2008   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line is SOme people in our secondary need to be replaced during the off season

Faggins being one of them hes been burned for the last time and has costed us many games in the past
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #15
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

He was in the huddle Laughing and saying sorry guys, If your truly sorry why you laughing, You took our confidence and threw it in the trash.
Old 10-20-2008   #16
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, they use Faggins as a motivational tool for Bennett. Sorta like that episode in King of the Hill when Bobby was on the track team. Everytime someone slacks off or screws up the coach replaces them with Bobby to embarasses em, because really how you going to let a fat, slow kid replace you, a real athlete?

Same thing with Faggins, how you going to let that slow, crappy CB replace you, Bennett? No wonder he sounded pissed off in that chron article, nobody wants to be replaced by Faggins. The embarrassments can't get any lower then that.

But really, Kubiak did it at the right time, during the Fins and Lions game(gimme games), and it worked because Bennett is starting to play like his old self again. Kubiak would've never done this 'experiment' against a team like CLE, or INDY. The whole coaching staff knows Petey would be 'Lee Evaned' all game long if it was against teams like them.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i always laugh when iam under pressure maybe he cant help it
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #18
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i always laugh when iam under pressure maybe he cant help it
Maybe he smokes up a joint before a game. That would explain why he loses concentration when covering a receiver one on one. and the laughing...
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #19
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I completely agree! He has to gooo!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see.

Happen to know anyone on the team who could cover Calvin Johnson?

I thought so.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read