Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-20-2008   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hines Ward Block on Keith Rivers = Broken Jaw

http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2...inesdirty.html

Good block? Cheap shot with helmet lead?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #2
Sal Rosenberg
All Pro

Rep Power: 111 Sal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respectedSal Rosenberg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hines Ward Block on Keith Rivers = Broken Jaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2...inesdirty.html

good block? Cheap shot with helmet lead?
great block!broken jaw??????
Sal Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I was about to post this. I watched it as it happened. Guys take those shots at WR's all of the time, and personally I like to see Hines lay out some LB's. He is one of the toughest WR's of all time if not the toughest. That was an awsome play!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me put it this way:

If a defensive player did that to a defenseless offensive player it would be a hefty fine. Maybe even a one game suspension.

But it was an offensive player hitting a defenseless defender. So great block Ward!
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Great block. I wish the NFL had more physical receivers that could lay you out...
Old 10-20-2008   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

He wasn't defenseless - he wasn't looking AND he was still involved in the play. If he was far away from the play, or not running hard to be involved in it - then yeah, it would be more like headhunting. What do they ALWAYS say about that situation? You have to have your head on a swivel. As long as it's not from behind, I don't see how it can be a dirty hit.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
He wasn't defenseless - he wasn't looking AND he was still involved in the play. If he was far away from the play, or not running hard to be involved in it - then yeah, it would be more like headhunting. What do they ALWAYS say about that situation? You have to have your head on a swivel. As long as it's not from behind, I don't see how it can be a dirty hit.
I'm not saying it was dirty. It was a hell of a block.

I have a lot of respect for the way Hines Ward plays the game.

But if that was Rivers decking Ward while Ward was running to make a block then Rivers would have empty pockets.
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2008   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I mean - look at the play! I just watched it again and I can't believe anyone would think it was dirty - Rivers was ABOUT TO MAKE THE TACKLE... what is Ward supposed to do? Gently stop him and deep tongue kiss him?

Come on. Rivers should have been looking up field if he was worried about getting hit.... but man, broken jaw - that sucks. Ouch.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 10-20-2008   #9
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't like him leading with his helmet. That's how he broke Keith's jaw. That's how he did his damage. Keith can always get up from a de-cleater, but you cant play with wire holding your mouth shut.
Old 10-20-2008   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

... and I'm not saying that you're saying it's dirty. I don't think there would be a fine if the roles were reversed - because Rivers was SO CLOSE to the play - he was literally about to make the tackle. Now, if this had happened somewhere way away from the ball, fine... but there's no double standard - at least on this play.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 10-20-2008   #11
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

If I have a son, Hines Ward is going to be the role model I'm going to force upon him

A child cannot do anything to make their parents prouder than to break a man's jaw in the name of teamwork.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I just don't like him leading with his helmet. That's how he broke Keith's jaw. That's how he did his damage. Keith can always get up from a de-cleater, but you cant play with wire holding your mouth shut.
Watch it again. He led with his shoulder, not his helmet. His helmet made contact - but he did not lead with it. Huge difference. Again I ask, what should he have done? Hit him in the knees? Rivers would have two blown knees if he had done that.

Ward didn't do anything even remotely wrong on that play. I can't speak for the rest of his hits - I haven't seen them all, but there was nothing at all wrong with that. It's not like he purposely hit him in the jaw. It just happened as a result of his follow through because his shoulder shot was so hard.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 10-20-2008   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
If I have a son, Hines Ward is going to be the role model I'm going to force upon him

A child cannot do anything to make their parents prouder than to break a man's jaw in the name of teamwork.
What about Jason Witten getting his helmet knocked off last year & still trying to run for the score?
Old 10-20-2008   #14
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
What about Jason Witten getting his helmet knocked off last year & still trying to run for the score?
I'm not raising no son to look up to a Cowgirl.

....although it was pretty manly for a cowgirl.

Maybe I'll raise my daughter to look up to Witten.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #15
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Was that a QB he hit. I don't think so. Good Block and carry on Mr. Ward,
I said Good day.
Old 10-20-2008   #16
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Watch it again. He led with his shoulder, not his helmet. His helmet made contact - but he did not lead with it. Huge difference. Again I ask, what should he have done? Hit him in the knees? Rivers would have two blown knees if he had done that.

Ward didn't do anything even remotely wrong on that play. I can't speak for the rest of his hits - I haven't seen them all, but there was nothing at all wrong with that. It's not like he purposely hit him in the jaw. It just happened as a result of his follow through because his shoulder shot was so hard.
Yeah its just a coincidence that his helmet broke his jaw and that Hines is one of the most fined players for hits like that.

You are exactly right on one thing. You are unaware of his prior questionable "blocks."

Lets just see if he gets fined. Im thinking 20K.
Old 10-20-2008   #17
DiehardChris
You betcha!

But we're talking about THIS play, are we not? I get that the guy has a sketchy past - but on this play he clearly led with his shoulder. What do you think he should have done? Rivers was clearly going to make the stop... and if Ward have taken it down a notch and slowed down, then HE would have been the one who got hurt.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 10-20-2008   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I could see Hines Ward's helmet hit River's shoulder. I tried slowing it down to a frame by frame view but that was inconclusive. My statement is this. If Ward's helmet hit River's shoulder its a hard clean it. And I like it. If Ward's helmet hit River's helmet then it is uncalled for.
Since it looked like the former I say big ups to Mr. Ward!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

even a 13 year old (mine) recognized ownage

Ward could play FS

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

He used way too much force. Kevin Walter is a great team player who never hurts anyone.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read