Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2008   #1
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub turnovers

Let me preface this statement by saying that I think Schaub is our long term solution at QB. I think he manages the offense better than any QB we've had and he makes great plays.

I just watched the Detroit game again and saw the play where Schaub coughs up the ball near then end of the 2nd half. The defender's hand is on Schaub's back well before the ball pops out. I'm not sure why Schaub isn't covering up the football. It seems to me that in games against teams where turnovers are going to matter more, Schaub needs to be a lot more careful especially with his new penchant for running the ball when nothing's available down the field.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub turnovers

iam not sold of Matt yet

he has costed us many turnovers

we are the highest in the league in TO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #3
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sold on him either. I don't know how fairly you can assess him though except with some time. But, if you compare his QB Rating both as a texan and for his career, you'll find that he's statistically no better than Sage. I find that disturbing considering the hype given to him when he left Atlanta.

To be fair.. would a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady fair any better at the helm? I want to believe they would. So that said..

How long does Matt have the luxury of being the "long term solution"?

Or is that not a fair question?
Old 10-20-2008   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
iam not sold of Matt yet

he has costed us many turnovers

we are the highest in the league in TO
Highest turnover ratio, not the most turnovers.
Old 10-20-2008   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Iam just saying there are alot of better Qb around the League then Matt/Sage

Brett Farve

BIlls QB

ROthenburger

Mc Nabb

I dare even say Kyle Orton Guss Furote and the Cards QB
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Brett Farve

BIlls QB

ROthenburger

Mc Nabb

You ok?
Old 10-20-2008   #7
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a link to NFL.com and stats for all qb's through yesterdays action.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG

Matt has the same number of int's as Drew Brees. I have $10 that says no one on the Saints board is questioning whther Brees should be their qb or not.

Man!!! And we won the freaking game yesterday!
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Brett Farve

BIlls QB

ROthenburger

Mc Nabb

Orton and Gus Frerotte are a huge reach. Especially Frerotte who has 80+ NFL starts in his career. Matt and Sage have 26 starts --- combined... As far as the others you mentioned, I'm pretty sure they were all under contract and not available (except Trent Edwards, who was drafted in 2007)
Old 10-20-2008   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

That play happened right in front of me/bullpen. Schaub was just careless with the ball, as he was running to possibly throw the ball after the pocket broke down, and then just never fully tucked the ball in. It was his mistake, all it took was a good hit from behind to pop that ball out.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #10
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Here's a link to NFL.com and stats for all qb's through yesterdays action.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG

Matt has the same number of int's as Drew Brees. I have $10 that says no one on the Saints board is questioning whther Brees should be their qb or not.

Man!!! And we won the freaking game yesterday!
Yeah, but Brees has 1,000 more yards passing and 5 more TDs. I'm not knocking our QB, I'm glad we won yesterday. I'm just filling in the blanks in the comparison you made.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #11
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Yeah, but Brees has 1,000 more yards passing and 5 more TDs. I'm not knocking our QB, I'm glad we won yesterday. I'm just filling in the blanks in the comparison you made.

I know, but Brees also has been sacked less too. Better line? Who knows, my point was that the qb turnover focus is time not well spent.

I don't think Schaub will be another Brady, but I do think he is a qb better than Kerry Collins, and look what surrounding a good team around him has done.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #12
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I know, but Brees also has been sacked less too. Better line? Who knows, my point was that the qb turnover focus is time not well spent.

I don't think Schaub will be another Brady, but I do think he is a qb better than Kerry Collins, and look what surrounding a good team around him has done.
I see what you're saying. I think he has potential, but I also think a lot of people have potential. I really think that there's a fine line between the elites in this league and the busts. I think that it all boils down to what you make of your time on the field and the opportunities you are given. Look at Brady for instance. Wasn't the guy a 5th rounder or something? He made the most of his opprtunity on the field and didn't look back. I honestly can't say that about Shaub at this point. Am I ready to bench the guy or fire him? No way, but I need to see some confidence and better decision making to bring back the warm and fuzzy feeling again.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #13
MeLoveTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 1781 MeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedMeLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Brett Farve

BIlls QB

ROthenburger

Mc Nabb

do those Rothenburgers come with cheese? Im starving

-Mark Mangino
MeLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #14
Polo

If Schaub keeps turning the ball over we won't be a very good team...

Kudos on being able to put up points on the last ranked detroit defense...

I wanna see Matt perform well against good defenses and then I'll be sold on him...
Old 10-20-2008   #15
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
If Schaub keeps turning the ball over we won't be a very good team...

Kudos on being able to put up points on the last ranked detroit defense...

I wanna see Matt perform well against good defenses and then I'll be sold on him...
well 3 in a row isnt bad. jacs, miami and detroit. if your just waiting to seem him have a bad day against a top 5 defense then im sure you will see him struggle when we play one of those type defenses. of course all qb's struggle against to 5 defenses thats why they are top 5 defenses.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #16
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has made mistakes with the ball, but he has had the offense humming the last three games he's played. He's not getting his yards through dink and dunk--he is attacking the intermediate zones with his throws. I think what he has shown us so far is certainly enough to warrant him getting more time to iron out his mistakes.

It is always dangerous to play the "if you throw out _____", but Schaub's last three games have been outstanding. The Jags held Jay Cutler in check and the Dolphins stoned Philip Rivers, but Schaub torched them both. There is no argument in support of the Lions' defense, but no quarterback has put up better numbers over that span than Matt.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting. Matt Schaub has now completed 16 starts as a Texan. If you combine his last year stats with this year, this is what you get.

Completed 311 passes out of 472

65.7 percent of his passes

3384 yards

Average 7.5 yards a pass

16 TDs to 16 INTs.

25 sacks

85.4 QB rating

Lots of confounding factors to look at. Lack of a running game last year. Also getting his clock cleaned a few times so that he couldn't finish games, and playing when he probably should have been out. Redo of the offensive line and missing Andre Johnson for a part of last year and trying to get back into sync this year.

Needs to reduce the INTs.
Old 10-20-2008   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We've got very few "stars" on this team right now, like AJ, Mario, and Ryans. Schaub is not one of them. He is better than about half of the starting QBs in the NFL, so it's not like he's a dud or anything, he's just not a top flight QB yet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #19
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only way Schaub is really going to play up to his potential is to stop the mistakes he's been making. It may be unfair to say so, but a lot of the responsibility for this team lies with him. The only way that Houston breaks out of the cycle of thinking themselves a team of losers is to stop making stupid mistakes. The confidence and expectations of winning shouldn't be too far behind.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #20
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You give Sage as much time as you pamper Matt with and I say Sage out does Matt by the numbers
Matt is our starting QB and I want him to succeed but his numbers really dwindled toward the end of the game. It is like they are figuring him out and have his number at the end of the game.

that said a W is a W and congratulations to all the Texans except Petey.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read