Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2008   #1
Bipolar The Titan
cow pattie chunkin' champ

Rep Power: 515 Bipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respectedBipolar The Titan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Very Much Alive In AFC Playoff Race

http://www.nfl.com/standings

ok. (2-4) sounds bad but when you look around the conference... well, really it's not.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are both (3-3)

That's not much better. Look at the 2nd place teams records.

Baltimore and the New York Jets are both (3-3). Chargers are 3-4. Broncos might bust the Patriots back to (3-3). The Texans are in a position to make a move. It's still early. They control their own destiny.

Congratulation on holding off the Lions. I bet you guys were thinking they were going to come back on you. Nearly did. Good luck next week against Cincinnati. If your team doesn't win that one just forget about all this happy talk.
Old 10-20-2008   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Very Much Alive In AFC Playoff Race

we got to win every game from here on out if we want to stay alive

i dont know if we can do it because we are going to have to beat some elite teams if we wanna have a chance at a wildcard
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

i dont know if we can do it because we are going to have to beat some elite teams if we wanna have a chance at a wildcard
Really? Who? The Tacks are undefeated, but I really don't consider them elite. The Texans can beat them. The Colts are no longer elite.

The team still has the Bengals, Vikings, Ravens, Colts, Browns, Jags, Packers, Titans, Raiders, and Bears left to play. The Packers and Titans are probably the only two really good teams on that list. I know the Titans is a winnable game if they take care of the ball. I don't watch enough Packers football to comment intelligently, but even if I chalk that up as a loss, no one else on that list scares me.
Old 10-20-2008   #4
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really? Who?
The Texans. Forget about the other teams for a bit. The Texans have got to stop beating themselves.

Should be 5-1 right now with a perfect divisional record.

The only team we've outright lost to is the Steelers. All other teams, we've been our own worst enemy... even the games we won.
Old 10-20-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
The Texans. Forget about the other teams for a bit. The Texans have got to stop beating themselves.

Should be 5-1 right now with a perfect divisional record.

The only team we've outright lost to is the Steelers. All other teams, we've been our own worst enemy... even the games we won.
Agreed, but the OP's point was that we still have to beat some elite teams. I can't find any elite teams left on our schedule - even us
Old 10-20-2008   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Really? Who? The Tacks are undefeated, but I really don't consider them elite. The Texans can beat them. The Colts are no longer elite.

The team still has the Bengals, Vikings, Ravens, Colts, Browns, Jags, Packers, Titans, Raiders, and Bears left to play. The Packers and Titans are probably the only two really good teams on that list. I know the Titans is a winnable game if they take care of the ball. I don't watch enough Packers football to comment intelligently, but even if I chalk that up as a loss, no one else on that list scares me.
I know most people on here hate the Titans but they are literally looking like the 2000 Ravens reincarnated. They are elite. They have allowed 66 points in 6 games this season and they have scored more points than we have. Chris Johnson is looking legit and their O-line is very good. O-line plus defense plus running game=Elite. Period.

I think we have a chance to beat them at home but only because its a division game and we seem to be out of the early season funk we had going. If I had to guess though I think our percentage chance to beat them might be about 20%. I expect the Titans to beat Indy next Monday night and I'll be rooting for them because we have no chance at the division this year. I don't think we have a real shot at a WC either but hopefully we can make things interesting.
Old 10-20-2008   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
If the season ended tomorrow (one of the stupidest hypotheticals ever) at least one of the AFC wildcard teams would be 3-3 (and if Denver beats New England tonight, both wildcard teams would have a 3-3 record). That puts us one game out of the wildcard after 7 weeks. Not exactly the recipe for 10 "must win" games in a row - especially if you're just talking about "Staying Alive".

Throw in the fact that per ESPN's week 7 power rankings (and probably most power rankings you'll find), 7 of our final 10 games are against teams ranked 19 or lower and things shouldn't seem all that dismal. Lastly, those other three games are against our divisional opponents, and two of those are at home where we're 9-2 since the beginning of the '07 season.

As ridiculous as it may sound, playoffs are still a realistic thought (that won't even require running the table). I'm not predicting it, I'm just hoping for it. The one thing I am predicting is that we'll know alot more about this team at the end of the season, and while I think virtually all current judgements - good or bad - are premature, the time is coming that will no longer be true.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 10-20-2008 at 01:18 PM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2008   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I know most people on here hate the Titans but they are literally looking like the 2000 Ravens reincarnated. They are elite. They have allowed 66 points in 6 games this season and they have scored more points than we have. Chris Johnson is looking legit and their O-line is very good. O-line plus defense plus running game=Elite. Period.

I think we have a chance to beat them at home but only because its a division game and we seem to be out of the early season funk we had going. If I had to guess though I think our percentage chance to beat them might be about 20%. I expect the Titans to beat Indy next Monday night and I'll be rooting for them because we have no chance at the division this year. I don't think we have a real shot at a WC either but hopefully we can make things interesting.
I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet. The Ravens comparison might be a good one, but no one considered the Ravens elite that year until they won it. Even then, the debate continues about how that was a down year and how the Ravens wouldn't have beaten some of the better teams that have won the SB, like the Colts and Pats. Until the Tacks win it with this formula, I'm not seeing elite.

That doesn't mean they aren't good enough to win the SB in a down year when the Chargers have fallen off, the Colts have fallen off, Brady is out, and even the Jags are down. So we'll see.
Old 10-20-2008   #9
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet.
Yep...hard to say "elite" when there's not a single team with a winning record on their completed schedule to date. Clearly very good, but there's not enough evidence to go beyond that.
Old 10-20-2008   #10
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to be a debbie downer but we are still 0-3 in division play. I think we would need to win all the rest of the division games to have a chance.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think there is any doubt from non-partisan fans that the Titans are one of the top 2-3 teams in the league and the Colts are just another decent but inconsistent team with holes right now. Most of the league is wildly inconsistent right now (perhaps except for the unbeaten Titans) and its hard to tell who the good teams are and who the bad teams are from week to week. I think the league starts to really define themselves around week 10 when the teams have played a broader sample of teams collectively.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Its anybody's race at the moment. Injuries to perennial AFC favorites, the Pats, Chargers and Colts have busted the division wide open.

If the Texans had a capable DC and some veteran leadership they would be 4-2 right now and able to take advantage of this great opportunity to be an AFC football team.

As is however we are facing a nearly impossible challenge of going 10-6 with there still being a possibility of being on the outside looking in come week 18
Old 10-20-2008   #13
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
I hate to be a debbie downer but we are still 0-3 in division play. I think we would need to win all the rest of the division games to have a chance.
We do have the 2 of 3 division games left at home, so that does help.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

While I appreciate Titans fan's encouraging words, we still have to complete our first winning streak in franchise history for me to really start thinking about any kind of chance in the wildcard race. Cincy, although winless, is not a gimme' game. The Texans are more than capable of playing down to them and giving the game away on any given Sunday.

"Parity" is nice for teams like ours, though. Keep hope alive!
Old 10-20-2008   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok i didnt say the titans are elite They dont scare me never have never will we almost beat them last game on there own home turf

iam talking about

Minnoseta on teh Road

Lambo in December

Chicago

Ravens D

and the colts Yes the colts has long has the got a guy called manning there going to be Gaming !!!!!!!
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate the Titans, but that doesn't stop me from objectively analyzing them. They're a very good team, but I still don't put them at elite status yet. The Ravens comparison might be a good one, but no one considered the Ravens elite that year until they won it. Even then, the debate continues about how that was a down year and how the Ravens wouldn't have beaten some of the better teams that have won the SB, like the Colts and Pats. Until the Tacks win it with this formula, I'm not seeing elite.

That doesn't mean they aren't good enough to win the SB in a down year when the Chargers have fallen off, the Colts have fallen off, Brady is out, and even the Jags are down. So we'll see.
Yeah, they are good(yuck) but can be beaten.
Old 10-20-2008   #17
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hate to be the "I knew all along" guy, but I saw something in that Ravens Defense that absolutely convinced me they would be dominant. I didn't predict them before the season or anything, and I don't remember what week, but it was early in the season that I saw them and I was certain that they had a phenomenal defense that gave them a Super Bowl caliber team. Now I didn't see the Ravens in preseason that year, but I did see Tennessee this year, and I honestly thought they'd be lucky to finish 8-8 in the preseason. I saw a Ravens style defense when Tennessee just outmuscled Jacksonville in week 1 though. It was confirmed when they dismantled us.

I'm not suggesting that the Tits will go 16-0 or anything, or that I am Nostradamus about this stuff -- my fantasy record attests to my total inability to prognosticate. I think 12-4 or 13-3 is around the most likely, and I think they will get the home field through the playoffs. I could see the Texans being responsible for one of those, although I'm not betting on 'em.

IMHO playoffs for the Texans are possible but extremely unlikely. I think we may get 2 of our remaining 3 div games, and I think the only team we may overtake is Indy. I don't think the Colts are quite done yet and think they are a 10-6 or 9-7 team that gives someone fits in the 1st round. I think we are going to be better than any team but the division winners in the AFC East and North. That still doesn't make us better than the Jags, Colts, and second place between Chargers and Broncos. I just don't see it, although every week I'm cheering to be proven wrong.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think there is any doubt from non-partisan fans that the Titans are one of the top 2-3 teams in the league and the Colts are just another decent but inconsistent team with holes right now. Most of the league is wildly inconsistent right now (perhaps except for the unbeaten Titans) and its hard to tell who the good teams are and who the bad teams are from week to week. I think the league starts to really define themselves around week 10 when the teams have played a broader sample of teams collectively.
Just playing devil's advocate here:
The combined records of Tennessee's opponents so far are 12-26 (.315). Not a single team they've played is above .500 (three are 3-3).
Their only opponent who has more points scored than points allowed is Baltimore with 105 scored and 100 allowed.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Isn't that the truth. This has been one of the most bizarre and unpredictable seasons that I can remember. It really is hard to see who the ELITE teams are this year. Several teams that were supposed to be strong are not, and a few that surprised us early on have had bad weeks as well.

And I totally agree with the Titans being a top 2-3 team. Surprisingly, I'd have to put the Bucs up there as an elite team that has quietly been winning and winning games pretty ugly as well with different QB's. You don't watch them on any week and feel like they are that great, but they seem to win the same way every single week. The Bucs remind me a lot of how the Titans have been this year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan View Post
http://www.nfl.com/standings

ok. (2-4) sounds bad but when you look around the conference... well, really it's not.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are both (3-3)

That's not much better. Look at the 2nd place teams records.

Baltimore and the New York Jets are both (3-3). Chargers are 3-4. Broncos might bust the Patriots back to (3-3). The Texans are in a position to make a move. It's still early. They control their own destiny.

Congratulation on holding off the Lions. I bet you guys were thinking they were going to come back on you. Nearly did. Good luck next week against Cincinnati. If your team doesn't win that one just forget about all this happy talk.

Not talking crap. This is purely my opinion but if we can take care of the business we have in front of us, I could see our record improving and the division itself getting tighter and tighter. I don't feel like Tenn. has really played anybody as of yet and I think their harder schedule is coming up. I think everyone in the AFC South needs to hold tight because it's going to get crazy.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read