Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Did Kubiak just call out Richard Smith?

From the Houston Texans postgame review on the official website:

After the game, Kubiak was steamed about the defensive breakdown on the long scoring play.

"We were in quarter-quarter-half (defense)," Kubiak said, "so (Faggins) should be back there in the deep quarter of the field. It's inexcusable. But that's not his fault. That's our fault as coaches. That's our fault as coaches to not get the player to do his job in that situation."

Kubiak doesn't strike me as a HC who meddles in defensive affairs. It looks to me like he just called out Richard Smith for what he is, a below subpar defensive coordinator not even fit to direct a defense on Madden.
Old 10-19-2008   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Did Kubiak just call out Richard Smith?

If so, I hope that means that Kubiak isn't scared of getting rid of this waste during the off season.
Old 10-19-2008   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

We did alot of those long looping stunts again. It seemed on the 3rd and 17 they converted that Mario ran into a wall on a loop .
Old 10-19-2008   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

hope kubiak remembers to look in the mirror
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Do iy now KUBES
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith is obviously the weakest link here and he has overstayed his visit. I said I would give him a probation period starting with this game, and he is on thin ice. They came off with a win but it was not because of the defense.

I want to see a complete 60 minute defensive effort against the winless Bengals...

1) NO big plays given up
2) CONSISTENT pressure on the QB
3) IMPROVEMENT in the secondary

If I see those three things for the majority of next weeks game, I may back off of Smith for a while... until the next game. This defense has to prove that it can compete.
Old 10-20-2008   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
From the Houston Texans postgame review on the official website:

After the game, Kubiak was steamed about the defensive breakdown on the long scoring play.

"We were in quarter-quarter-half (defense)," Kubiak said, "so (Faggins) should be back there in the deep quarter of the field. It's inexcusable. But that's not his fault. That's our fault as coaches. That's our fault as coaches to not get the player to do his job in that situation."

Kubiak doesn't strike me as a HC who meddles in defensive affairs. It looks to me like he just called out Richard Smith for what he is, a below subpar defensive coordinator not even fit to direct a defense on Madden.

He won't crush is players publicly for being who they are. He won't crush his coaches publicly even if they stink. Though it is more satistifying calling out specific players or coaches, in the long run it is counterproductive, especially right after a game.

My discussion of that quote at the Chron blog:

Houston beats Detroit; Texans defense scary in a bad way

I was so hoping to get through a game without seeing something totally weird. That Faggins/Johnson play was totally weird, yet at the same time, totally not weird.
Old 10-20-2008   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Did Kubiak just call out Richard Smith?

I'm calling for Kubiak right now!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, that sounds like he's calling out Hoke.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but what he's saying is that in that defense, Faggins shouldn't have been up in press coverage. He should have been playing off in a deep zone. But instead of getting on Faggins for it, he's calling out the coaches for Faggins not knowing what he was supposed to do.

Maybe I'm just reading that wrong.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #10
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I don't care who he called out because Faggins shouldn't even be on the roster. At what point do the ballclub see Faggins is the worse corner in the league. He has no makeup orlong speed. How many times do we have to see it happen. I guess lee evans wasn't enough. Then, we look up and he's on johnson. All johnson ran was a simple 9 route and he got seperation so quick that even if he had safety help, it would hve been too late.
Old 10-20-2008   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has a good team this year.
He has done a poor job preparing the players for the games!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I don't care who he called out because Faggins shouldn't even be on the roster. At what point do the ballclub see Faggins is the worse corner in the league. He has no makeup orlong speed. How many times do we have to see it happen. I guess lee evans wasn't enough. Then, we look up and he's on johnson. All johnson ran was a simple 9 route and he got seperation so quick that even if he had safety help, it would hve been too late.
For sentimental reasons, I like Faggins. He's homegrown. He tries really, really hard. And as a coach I can see where you want to reward hard work. But there comes a time to realize that no matter how hard Petey works there are guys who have more upside.

Petey, bless his heart, may be "maxed out". Most likely he'll never be any faster or get any taller or be able to cover any better. And after 6 full years in the league (some of them behind two of the best CBs in Aaron Glenn & Marcus Coleman), you'd think he'd seen & learned how the position should be played.

Apparently not.

So perhaps its time to develop the younger guys like Bennett and Molden who still have upside. Put them in before they start "learning" from Petey.

This game was way more "exciting" than it should have been. And there will come a time where our "8-to-80" connection isn't clicking ....when the running game isn't effective... ...when we'll need the defense to win it for us.

Heaven help us.
Old 10-20-2008   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, if 8-80 isn't working, it's because OD and KW are open.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

To me, it sounds like Kubiak is trying not to call out Faggins, so he deflected the blow-out to coaching. He didn't call out any one coach. He just said what he has said in games past - that coaches are not putting players in the position to win. I think he's put himself in that same corner, too.

It's easy to blast Faggins. Once Moden/Bennett/Reeves/whoever gets worked out, Faggins is gone. So why give everybody more ammunition?
Old 10-20-2008   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
For sentimental reasons, I like Faggins. He's homegrown. He tries really, really hard. And as a coach I can see where you want to reward hard work. But there comes a time to realize that no matter how hard Petey works there are guys who have more upside.

Petey, bless his heart, may be "maxed out". Most likely he'll never be any faster or get any taller or be able to cover any better. And after 6 full years in the league (some of them behind two of the best CBs in Aaron Glenn & Marcus Coleman), you'd think he'd seen & learned how the position should be played.

Apparently not.

So perhaps its time to develop the younger guys like Bennett and Molden who still have upside. Put them in before they start "learning" from Petey.

This game was way more "exciting" than it should have been. And there will come a time where our "8-to-80" connection isn't clicking ....when the running game isn't effective... ...when we'll need the defense to win it for us.

Heaven help us.
This is what was meant by the thread "Manufactured Excitement" that I started after the Fins game. Some blasted me as they saw it as introducing this concept in the face of our 1st win. However, if those same people do not look at the situation as it really is, they will enjoy short-term celebration followed by long-term disappointed.........if some very important weaknesses (in players as well as coaching) aren't seriously addressed.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins sucks point blank...no surprise as far as what happened to him...it was just a matter of time. I'm just glad that Kubes/Smith had the wherewithall (sp?) to get him out of the game from then on. The lions tried the same thing closer to the endzone later against bennett & he knocked it down.

I also got a chance to see the whole field since i attended the game & willie demps was being picked on all day...at some point their gonna have to do something with him too.

As far as Dunta...he looked good to me, obviously he's missing some of that burst but this game was more about just getting back used to being out there in game situations....he even said that. It's encouraging that they sent him after the qb a couple of times, but other than that i'm just glad he's back. i don't know what some expected the guy hadn't played in almost a year.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #17
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Ah, I think he was just calling out the coaching in general (including himself) looking at the entire post game quotes. Funny how Faggins wasn't asked (or printed anyway) about the 96 yard pass. Apparently Kubiak got onto Schaub for his fumble as well.

Overall, looks like quite a few are saying the same thing the fans are, especially about letting up in the 2nd half.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
hope kubiak remembers to look in the mirror
Quote:
That's our fault as coaches
Sounds all inclusive to me....
Old 10-20-2008   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak was just glad that we was able to blame others, instead of doing his "aww shucks..." routine after all the bad head coaching jobs he's done at the start of the year.

Was fun to see the Lions coach doing his version of Kubiak's "challenge flag meltdown" whereby you pray and hope that you are given a gift from the refs because you're not getting it done on the field. If y ou laughed at the Liona coach for doing that...just remember that THAT was Kubiak for the first three games.

The offense is finally an NFL-caliber offense (if they continue to use the TE as they have been doing)...the defense needs a Chicago Bears-esque remodeling in the draft and free agency for the next two years: Just load it up on the d-side of the ball, and watch what happens.

Our DC is weak, but I am beginning to buy into some of the posters' ideas here (like Marcus) who say that the talent level is the real key here. Good players can make coaches look like geniuses.
Old 10-20-2008   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Our DC is weak, but I am beginning to buy into some of the posters' ideas here (like Marcus) who say that the talent level is the real key here. Good players can make coaches look like geniuses.
Certainly the talent level on the defense needs to improve.

But what in Richard Smith's background makes you think that he would be good at choosing that talent and developing it?

It's not like the offensive side of the ball has a ton of probowlers on it. Or any more first round picks than the defense. The wide receivers/tight ends are Andre Johnson and a bunch of guys that nobody else wanted. Owen Daniels is currently the most productive TE in the league--4th round pick.

Teams need to incorporate young players and free agents quickly into what they are doing on the field--having easily teachable schemes is crucial in the modern salary cap era.

There is no amount of time that the offense can keep the ball, and it doesn't matter how good the field position is. If you can't stop Detroit from scoring, your defense can't stop anyone.

You get situations where every body tries too hard because they can't trust that normal football play will result in normal football results.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read