Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2008   #21
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The fluke big play

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
In the game vs. Detroit, our Defense gave up 326 yards of total offense. Of that 326 yards, 58 was a garbage time hail mary where I'm guessing the coaches told the defense to let him catch it if it was before the end zone. And 96 was a "fool-ya" play where the defense was obviously not preparing for a pass.

If we get rid of the garbage catch stats and the stupid mistake, our D holds Calvin Johnson without a catch and holds the offense in total to only 172 yards of total offense.

In the game vs. Miami, our defense gave up 370 total yards of offense to the Miami offense. Of that, 53 was on 1 flea flicker "fool-ya" play and 80 on a screen play where the defense was obviously not thinking screen.

If we get rid of those 2 fool-ya plays, our defense held Miami to 237 yards of total offense.

Obviously you can't just wipe out big plays (whats to say they wouldn't have dinked and dunked all the way up the field if that big play hadn't been there), but after watching both games, I am fairly confident that our defense is MUCH improved. We are making the occassional crucial error--- and giving up 4 big plays in 2 games is the result of that--- but if we can limit those mistakes in the coming weeks, I think we have the chance to really have something ehre
Good points.
Old 10-19-2008   #22
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Ain't no fluke homie, just Richard Smith defense. Sprinkle on Faggins covering CJ and you get crème brûlée.

Note: Did Faggins get benched after that play? I remember seeing him on the sideline on the next defensive series with Bennett in. Knew this guy was going to break into his craptastic self again.
Nope, but Harrison did. Harrison was supposed to be giving Faggins help over the top on that play.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #23
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
Nope, but Harrison did. Harrison was supposed to be giving Faggins help over the top on that play.
Ouch.

PS-Are we actually sure of this?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #24
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1427 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
looked to me like the biggest problem was faggins looking into the backfield expecting a run.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
That pass today was no fluke big play. The fluke you're looking for is named Richard Smith. In that situation in that time of the game when you're cruising along, our DC decides to leave our most vunerable DB one-on-one with the only player that the Lions have. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Richard Smith should be fired today simply for that. If the Lions had any kind of QB, Johnson would have had a record day because he was burning our DBs like fried bologna.

Good win by the team, but I can't take any more of the Richard Smith crap. It's not good for my HBP.
We caught the Lions when they were still shell-shocked by the Kitna issue, as well as Roy Williams sailing away.

I saw Orlovsky finally acting like he owned that QB spot, and I feel like he and the rest of that team will start getting their legs underneath them. In a lot of ways, their offense looks like ours:

QB: Unproven, but given the reins

RB: Speedy rookie

WR1: AJ and CJ are similar, but I think AJ is definitely better

WR2 & 3: Furrey & McDonald are sort of like Walter

The difference is in the TE, as well as in our offense having more chemistry due to being together longer.

Had we played Detroit, in our house, next week...this would probably have been a closer game throughout.

Was nice to see us march down the field at will.
Old 10-19-2008   #26
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
looked to me like the biggest problem was faggins looking into the backfield expecting a run.
You do know who Petey Faggins is, don't you?

Last edited by Texan JBZ; 10-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #27
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Ouch.

PS-Are we actually sure of this?
Most of our alignments started with us showing a single safety (usually Demps) and Harrison staring his drop right before the snap. We were showing 7 man fronts (when we were in base) most of the game.

I don't think Harrison was pulled out the rest of the game, but he was on the sidelines for at least some of the snaps in the next def series.

Last edited by feebleminded; 10-19-2008 at 09:05 PM.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2008   #28
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now that I think about it I remember seeing Ferguson alot after that play as well. A two for one substitute.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #29
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

you got to love a defense who sits back and doesnt take any chances. we sacrifice aggression and creating turnovers with solid laid back defense that makes teams drive the length of the field................ in one play!

start freaking blitzing all the time! we give up the big play anyway.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #30
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

They blitzed plenty. It seems like they aren't because they NEVER get there. This team has terrible blitzers.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #31
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the past two weeks we have completely owned the other team in all 3 phases of the game..... except for a couple of fluke big plays.

Our team is very, very good. Except we get fooled easily. If we can limit these, the skies the limit...
Quote:
Apparently "Fluke" was a poor choice of words, but I think you guys konw what I meant. Lets not argue semantics so much as discuss what this is. We are vulnerable to getting fooled.

We were fooled on the flea flicker.
We were fooled on the screen play.
We were fooled on the 96 yarder.

The hail mary was actually probably designed to let him catch it if it was not in the end zone
You may call this semantics too, but if these are usual plays for the Texans I wouldn't characterize the team as very, very good. The defense has a long way to go to be characterized as such.

Before the offense is very, very good, Schaub has to: 1) stop fumbling and 2) quit throwing the ball at defenders. Opposing defenses have dropped a few interceptions that were right at them.

The Texans have many of the right pieces in place, but I'll save the superlatives until they earn them
Old 10-19-2008   #32
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

they did blitz more than usual. im just saying if you gonna give up the big play you might as well be more aggresive and the blitz was pretty successful as far as i could see. we didnt get to him but we made there qb rush and he missed on some throws when he was under pressure.
Old 10-19-2008   #33
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonderful. All those first round picks on the D-Line and we can pressure the LIONS' QB, but only get to him once, on a day that we blitz considerably more than usual.

Old 10-19-2008   #34
utahmark
markbeth

i think we had 2 sacks.
Old 10-19-2008   #35
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i think we had 2 sacks.
You're right, it was two. I guess they didn't have the ball that much either, lol.

Old 10-19-2008   #36
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1427 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
You do know who Petey Faggins is, don't you?
yep, and he was looking into the backfield watching for the run while johnson blew right by him. kubiak even alluded to it with his postgame comment about needing better "coverage technique."
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the past two weeks we have completely owned the other team in all 3 phases of the game..... except for a couple of fluke big plays.

The hail mary at the end of regulation
The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs
The flea flicker to Cobbs

Our team is very, very good. Except we get fooled easily. If we can limit these, the skies the limit...
We're a young team and young teams have a tendency to fall for junk like this or give up big plays. It's just a matter of growing up and getting football wise.

But on the big TD that was all classic Petey. Not sure how you stop that though because even if he played it to the best of his ability Faggins is just way outclassed by CJ.
Old 10-20-2008   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of our alignments started with us showing a single safety (usually Demps) and Harrison staring his drop right before the snap. We were showing 7 man fronts (when we were in base) most of the game.

I don't think Harrison was pulled out the rest of the game, but he was on the sidelines for at least some of the snaps in the next def series.
I texted everyone on my gameday text circle that Harrison was pulled right after that play...I need to watch the taped game today but I'm pretty sure that Harrison was in on that play and the coaches were talking to him right after the play as the binoculars were on the sidelines after the play. The next series we saw #25 in his place if my memory serves.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #39
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Apparently "Fluke" was a poor choice of words, but I think you guys konw what I meant. Lets not argue semantics so much as discuss what this is. We are vulnerable to getting fooled.

We were fooled on the flea flicker.
We were fooled on the screen play.
We were fooled on the 96 yarder.

The hail mary was actually probably designed to let him catch it if it was not in the end zone
The Miami screen play, was nearly flawlessly executed. The first door opened when Dilles stuck his nose inside, between the two lineman instead of attacking the outside shoulder of the tackle. Simple rookie error. Always play the outside shoulder and turn the play back to the help inside. Always. Dilles got caught in a second of indecision and opened the door on the screen play. Steale got a great down field block. And we don't have the speed at safety, or LB for that matter with Ryans nursing an ankle, to hope for help after the horse is out of the gate.

Screen play was no fluke. It was a perfectly executed screen pass. Give the devil his due.
Old 10-20-2008   #40
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
The Miami screen play, was nearly flawlessly executed. The first door opened when Dilles stuck his nose inside, between the two lineman instead of attacking the outside shoulder of the tackle. Simple rookie error. Always play the outside shoulder and turn the play back to the help inside. Always. Dilles got caught in a second of indecision and opened the door on the screen play. Steale got a great down field block. And we don't have the speed at safety, or LB for that matter with Ryans nursing an ankle, to hope for help after the horse is out of the gate.
Harrison should have made the tackle downfield but wasn't physical and let the play come to him instead of attacking the ball and couldn't shed the block...a real S would have made that play. The Fins center made great blocks at the second level...but way before Harrison.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read