Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2008   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The fluke big play

In the past two weeks we have completely owned the other team in all 3 phases of the game..... except for a couple of fluke big plays.

The hail mary at the end of regulation
The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs
The flea flicker to Cobbs

Our team is very, very good. Except we get fooled easily. If we can limit these, the skies the limit...
Old 10-19-2008   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The fluke big play

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
In the past two weeks we have completely owned the other team in all 3 phases of the game..... except for a couple of fluke big plays.

The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs

Our team is very, very good. Except we get fooled easily. If we can limit these, the skies the limit...

4 "flukes" two games? I may have to look up the definition of fluke, but it seems more a weakness.
Old 10-19-2008   #3
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

The 99 yarder to CJ
The Screen play to Cobbs

You can still get burned by the occasional play, but not incinerate your entire mental approach to the game.

It seems that way too many times a bit of adversity happens, then the team tends to fold like a thin piece of paper.
Old 10-19-2008   #4
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

That pass today was no fluke big play. The fluke you're looking for is named Richard Smith. In that situation in that time of the game when you're cruising along, our DC decides to leave our most vunerable DB one-on-one with the only player that the Lions have. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Richard Smith should be fired today simply for that. If the Lions had any kind of QB, Johnson would have had a record day because he was burning our DBs like fried bologna.

Good win by the team, but I can't take any more of the Richard Smith crap. It's not good for my HBP.
Old 10-19-2008   #5
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Flukes often cost 7 points...

Don't matter if it ain't pretty. If its happening, its costing us on the scoreboard.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
4 "flukes" two games? I may have to look up the definition of fluke, but it seems more a weakness.
Well put Daddy O
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Exactly. When I hear "fluke" I think of something that doesn't happen often.

4 in one game isn't a fluke it's a pattern of exploited weaknesses.

I don't really blame Petey for getting burnt though. Corners get burnt from time to time, especially in man coverage with an aggressive defense (which we seem to be). It happens. Just not a good play call by the D-Coordinator. You've got arguably their only pass catching threat line up against Petey...in man coverage? I don't know about that.

It's when Petey gets beat on easy routes and misses tackles that I get mad. This time he just got beat by a receiver with elite size and speed. Not much you can put on Petey there. We know his skill set and that skill set didn't correlate with the play calling.

Simple as that IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
That pass today was no fluke big play. The fluke you're looking for is named Richard Smith. In that situation in that time of the game when you're cruising along, our DC decides to leave our most vunerable DB one-on-one with the only player that the Lions have. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Richard Smith should be fired today simply for that. If the Lions had any kind of QB, Johnson would have had a record day because he was burning our DBs like fried bologna.

Good win by the team, but I can't take any more of the Richard Smith crap. It's not good for my HBP.
Didn't see this. I obviously agree.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2008   #8
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Ain't no fluke homie, just Richard Smith defense. Sprinkle on Faggins covering CJ and you get crème brûlée.

Note: Did Faggins get benched after that play? I remember seeing him on the sideline on the next defensive series with Bennett in. Knew this guy was going to break into his craptastic self again.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Ain't no fluke homie, just Richard Smith defense. Sprinkle on Faggins covering CJ and you get crème brûlée.

Note: Did Faggins get benched after that play? I remember seeing him on the sideline on the next defensive series with Bennett in. Knew this guy was going to break into his craptastic self again.
Yea, he got benched from what I could tell.

I have been very critical of Petey in the past but this time, like I said before, I just don't really blame the guy. You run that play call (for both sides) 10 times and I bet Petey gets burnt 7 out of 10, if not more. I thought it was a good throw by their QB as well.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #10
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes. Bennett came in after that and I hope he is the starter next week. I blame the safety(Demps) for not giving Faggins any help too. Regardless, Faggins got burned.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #11
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Man, I can't even blame Petey for that one. He never should have been locked man-to-man with Calvin Johnson in the first place. He's simply not good enough. Put that one all the way on Dick(head) Smith.
Old 10-19-2008   #12
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, I don't blame Faggins on that play either. We all knew he would get burnt if he was left one on one with their team best receiver. That was on Richard Smith, he should know his players weakness and he should of known Faggins would choke on that play, what was he doing on CJ anyways?

I just hope the Faggins as a starter experiment.... nightmare is finally over. Hopefully this is the last time he will ever start for us.
Old 10-19-2008   #13
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Petey vs CJ, my money is on CJ, it is what it is
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad play call, but at the same time, you've gotta bet that Det is going to run the ball in that situation. Who knew they'd lee evans us?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently "Fluke" was a poor choice of words, but I think you guys konw what I meant. Lets not argue semantics so much as discuss what this is. We are vulnerable to getting fooled.

We were fooled on the flea flicker.
We were fooled on the screen play.
We were fooled on the 96 yarder.

The hail mary was actually probably designed to let him catch it if it was not in the end zone
Old 10-19-2008   #16
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reeves really does run with receivers well. Luckily they didn't test him too much today.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #17
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Reeves really does run with receivers well. Luckily they didn't test him too much today.
That one play where he ran right into the receiver should of been a pass interference, other then that he looked really good. He was def. our best CB this week.
Old 10-19-2008   #18
gtexan02
Working?

In the game vs. Detroit, our Defense gave up 326 yards of total offense. Of that 326 yards, 58 was a garbage time hail mary where I'm guessing the coaches told the defense to let him catch it if it was before the end zone. And 96 was a "fool-ya" play where the defense was obviously not preparing for a pass.

If we get rid of the garbage catch stats and the stupid mistake, our D holds Calvin Johnson without a catch and holds the offense in total to only 172 yards of total offense.

In the game vs. Miami, our defense gave up 370 total yards of offense to the Miami offense. Of that, 53 was on 1 flea flicker "fool-ya" play and 80 on a screen play where the defense was obviously not thinking screen.

If we get rid of those 2 fool-ya plays, our defense held Miami to 237 yards of total offense.

Obviously you can't just wipe out big plays (whats to say they wouldn't have dinked and dunked all the way up the field if that big play hadn't been there), but after watching both games, I am fairly confident that our defense is MUCH improved. We are making the occassional crucial error--- and giving up 4 big plays in 2 games is the result of that--- but if we can limit those mistakes in the coming weeks, I think we have the chance to really have something ehre
Old 10-19-2008   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That one play where he ran right into the receiver should of been a pass interference, other then that he looked really good. He was def. our best CB this week.
I think they didn't call it because the ball was way off to the side. It was karma anyway as the Lions got some calls back later on.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #20
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Man, I can't even blame Petey for that one. He never should have been locked man-to-man with Calvin Johnson in the first place. He's simply not good enough. Put that one all the way on Dick(head) Smith.
Agreed completely. In management, one of the things you need to learn to do is determine the strengths and weaknesses of your personnel, and do not use place them in situations that set them up for failure.

Having Petey "cover" CJ man to man is setting him up to fail. That's on the coaches.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read