Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2008   #1
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 22248 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coaching?

Am I the only one that thinks this, but I wonder just how much of a grasp the coaches has on this team.

IMO, there are way too many mental mistakes and lapses that should've, and could've, been corrected by the coaching staff or the veterans. The burden has to land more to the coaching staff, as our veterans aren't as prevalent; and those who are, have been part of a losing tradition the majority of the time.

Instead of the dominating high from the first half, now we head into the next game with the mediocrity of the second. Someone HAS to be bigger than the funk that seems to plague this team.

I don't know, just seems that these guys are making little league level mistakes in a big league world.
Old 10-19-2008   #2
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10578 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coaching?

The entire team lacks the killer instinct, which I put on the coaching staff. Not just for failing to instill an attitude to finish strong, but also because their second half play-calling with leads on both offense and defense get tentative and look like merely trying to hang on rather than deliver a knockout punch. I think that play-calling rubs off on some of the players and makes them wonder if their coaches believe they can finish.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #3
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

We won. Our running game was great, our passing game was great. Our defense was good for the most part. Save the complaints for tomorrow, please. Ya'll are bringing me down.
Old 10-19-2008   #4
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 22248 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
We won. Our running game was great, our passing game was great. Our defense was good for the most part. Save the complaints for tomorrow, please. Ya'll are bringing me down.
Not complaining about the win, but ya gotta remember it was the Lions. We gonna win against the tougher teams of the league with what what was exhibited in the second half?

Thank goodness we got an easy one next week.
Old 10-19-2008   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

This game was another example of why Richard Smith needs to go.

I agree, this team lacks ferocity. We should have hung 40 points on the Lions and we seemingly started to play to protect a lead instead of playing to win with authority.

I know we won, but I'm disappointed in how we let them get back into the game. We need some killer instinct and learn to finish with a boot on the other team's throat.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #6
Texan Asylum
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

I agree, this team lacks ferocity. We should have hung 40 points on the Lions and we seemingly started to play to protect a lead instead of playing to win with authority.

I know we won, but I'm disappointed in how we let them get back into the game. We need some killer instinct and learn to finish with a boot on the other team's throat.
She said it better than I!

Rep to you Jen.
Old 10-19-2008   #7
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

Now I agree with this. Having Faggins (who runs like a 4.57 40 yard dash) cover a Calvin Johnson (who runs a 4.3) the majority of the game in single man coverage is just ridiculous. I don't understand how they can allow that.
Old 10-19-2008   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with super-aggressive offensive playcalling, is that you
tend to score, or turn the ball over. The Texans used such playcalling
in the first half of the last two games, and this was the first game
they were able to put up 21 points without turning the ball over.

If you have such a lead you SHOULD be able to play "ball control" and rely
on your defense. Problem is, TEXANS DON'T HAVE A DEFENSE.

The offense and the offensive coaches get NO complaints from me.
When special teams hands the defense a 70+ yard field to defend on 3
consecutive possessions, they should be EXPECTED to hold the Lions to
NO POINTS.

Defense was what let the Lions back into the game, not the offense.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Classic example of two teams that can play one half of good football. That's why we now have combined 2 wins. This is a game that should never have been close once we got up 21.
Old 10-19-2008   #10
Texan Asylum
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
This is a game that should never have been close once we got up 21.
Exactly! I was calling a 48-10 victory early on...if we would've carried into the second half, what we were putting on them in the first.
Old 10-19-2008   #11
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Dude, this is the last place a sensitive texan needs to be, a dominant win today would have been nice against a team that has mailed it in
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #12
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Dude, this is the last place a sensitive texan needs to be, a dominant win today would have been nice against a team that has mailed it in
The team that mailed it in was Dallas not the lions , credit goes where it is earned !
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #13
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't confuse a team that's bad with a team that quits.
The Lions are bad, but they did not quit.
Old 10-19-2008   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not just Richard Smith and his play-calling. It's also his interchangeable safeties, leaving us without a true FS. Next offseason, he needs to go.

Not to knock the offense, but Schaub still needs to protect the ball.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #15
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I hate to say it, but every week there is more and more evidence that this is just a poorly coached team. I understand that it isn't all on the coaches and there are definitely talent issues (especially on the defense), but when you start seeing the same sort of things over and over again, it has to fall on the coaching staff:

(1) Turnovers.
(2) Bad - no horrible - time management.
(3) Continually making the wrong call in critical points in games
-On a side note, I like the aggressive approach - but not when you have a team that is short on confidence. This is not a team that you can afford not to take a field goal when you have a chance to put points on the board. The o-line is not at a point where we can feel confident going for it on fourth and short.

I am as happy as anyone that we have won two in a row and I am looking forward to a nice long win street. I am also hopeful that this coaching staff can start to make better decisions, but I don't think that we are being honest if we say that this coaching staff is getting the most out of this team or if that they give us any sort of advantage.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #16
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Wow. Kubiak IS pissed at Richard Smith. Publicly he won't put family
business in the streets, but reading between the lines on his post-game
interview on HT.com, the man is DAMN honest and he pushes his coaches
and players HARD.

This team went from CRAP before Kubiak.
It's gotten better EVERY season since.
He's our coach.
Old 10-20-2008   #17
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Ok, I believe we all know that we'll probably not see any coaches fired before this season comes to a conclusion, but, I'd like to know how many feel like I do about this.

I told my wife before the game started today, if we drop either of our next two games, either against the Lions or the Bengals, the entire staff needs to be let go and start over. After today's win, I don't feel any better about this team than I did last week. Yes, I see some positives, but overall, I see a team unable to finish a game properly. We shouldn't be having nail biters against teams like the Lions.

I've noticed in most of the threads the complaints about time management, game decisions (i.e. the 4th down conversion we had that was remarked), Faggins blown play, fumbles at the most crucial times, and imo, and it's just that, my opinion, this team is just poorly coached. Maybe I'm just shell shocked after years of crap football, and I in no way claim to be an expert, but something about this team, and I use that term lightly, doesn't set well with me.

I'd make a poll just to see if I'm in the minority on this concept, but I don't know how
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Ok, I believe we all know that we'll probably not see any coaches fired before this season comes to a conclusion, but, I'd like to know how many feel like I do about this.

I told my wife before the game started today, if we drop either of our next two games, either against the Lions or the Bengals, the entire staff needs to be let go and start over. After today's win, I don't feel any better about this team than I did last week. Yes, I see some positives, but overall, I see a team unable to finish a game properly. We shouldn't be having nail biters against teams like the Lions.

I've noticed in most of the threads the complaints about time management, game decisions (i.e. the 4th down conversion we had that was remarked), Faggins blown play, fumbles at the most crucial times, and imo, and it's just that, my opinion, this team is just poorly coached. Maybe I'm just shell shocked after years of crap football, and I in no way claim to be an expert, but something about this team, and I use that term lightly, doesn't set well with me.

I'd make a poll just to see if I'm in the minority on this concept, but I don't know how
I'd really prefer to just replace the DC and see what happens next year. I see what you're saying, but I'm just not convinced that Kubiak and most of his staff are in need of replacement yet. Plus, things just change too much when you switch the whole coaching staff. I don't wanna see this team switch to the run-and-shoot offense and back to a 3-4 D, lol. It's built for what it is now.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008   #19
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I told my wife before the game started today, if we drop either of our next two games, either against the Lions or the Bengals, the entire staff needs to be let go and start over
This is the kind of quote, that makes me pose a question that Tom Jackson
once asked Michael Irvin on the air. "Are you retarded?"

This team has too much going GOOD for it to blow it up. Doing what you
suggest keeps bad teams BAD. The problem of the team is getting more
apparent. We have enough talent to be a mediocre defense, which is ALL
this team needs.

The offense is a half-season away from being one of the ELITE offenses
in the league. Kubiak took this team from ATROCIOUS to respectable, and
it gets better EVERY game. If you look at his post-game interview, you can
see he rides his team HARD, even after a game like this.

Today was the kind of game the old Texans would LOSE. This team is still
learning what it takes to win in the NFL. I'm sure they will understand
it takes more than 1.5 quarters of EXCELLENT football to be a consistent
winner. Are we so used to losing, that we would suggest blowing up the
coaching staff is a viable option at this time??

Again, are you retarded?
Old 10-20-2008   #20
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post

Again, are you retarded?
I hope you haven't offended the retarded.

I agree with you Dex, to a point, but there is no need to question one's intelligence. Most times you can make your own assumptions without pointing out what many people already see.

Right or wrong, opinions will be expressed here. Ain't it great?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read