Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2008   #1
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How Disappointed Should We Be?

Back before training camp, I remember the predictors looking at the strength of the opening schedule and saying 1 - 4, and maybe hoping for a break and taking 2 wins. Well, the breaks went to Indianapolis and we ended up losing a game which was in our grasp. But still, we are at 1 - 4, which many expected.

Now, maybe, it is the way we lost our games - we expected more improvement, particularly in the pressure we are, or are not, getting from the defensive line.

But I'm going to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Disappointed Should We Be?

I have found in life that if you lower your expectations, you will not be disappointed. This philosophy has served me well, including everything from sports to people.
Old 10-18-2008   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have found in life that if you lower your expectations, you will not be disappointed. This philosophy has served me well, including everything from sports to people.
Indeed, with this philosophy one usually is pleasently surprised in almost anything
Old 10-18-2008   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

it is undoubtibly my new philosophy for 08. after the game where we had more points than the dolphins despite 4 or 5 "virtual" turnovers, that's my new trick. i will be in the stands pleasantly surprised when we do well, but not all that disappointed when we don't.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have shared your philosophy in some aspects of life. Unfortunately, many times when you lower your expectation of players, they have a way of feeling more comfortable to playing to your expectations.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #6
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

well it's supposed to be a secret. we're not supposed to let on that we have low expectations...
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #7
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

Quote:
My wife shares the same philosophy.. hence why she married me.. LMAO
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2008   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Back before training camp, I remember the predictors looking at the strength of the opening schedule and saying 1 - 4, and maybe hoping for a break and taking 2 wins. Well, the breaks went to Indianapolis and we ended up losing a game which was in our grasp. But still, we are at 1 - 4, which many expected.
I'd say predicting 1-4 and/or being satisfied with 1-4 because the Texans were forced to play "good" teams is a sign expectations have already been lowered. The Texans are supposed to be in the same league as the big boys. They aren't "playing up" just to get better.
Old 10-18-2008   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now, maybe, it is the way we lost our games - we expected more improvement, particularly in the pressure we are, or are not, getting from the defensive line.

But I'm going to look at the glass as half full rather than half empty.
During preseason, I figured we would beat the Ravens (no offense and an aging defense) and the Dolphins (they have no luck against us - who knows why) and be 2-4 going into this game.
If we were lucky, maybe we'd steal one in Jacksonville or Tennessee. We usually play the Jags tough - and we did, we just lost the OT coin toss. And I was counting on sucky QB play by Vince to keep the game close enough for us to maybe steal it; but Fisher outsmarted everyone by using the Titans' only real QB.

So while I'm still disappointed that we let two winnable games get away from us, I'm not totally surprised at what our record is.

Now if our D lets the Lions look like they have an offense, you'll see real disappointment. Make that outrage.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #10
Tejas Bruja
NFL's Gringa

Rep Power: 11 Tejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd and Inches View Post
My wife shares the same philosophy.. hence why she married me.. LMAO
People go to Hell for telling lesser lies!

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I'm smart!
Tejas Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then it looks like I'm setting myself up for another classic meltdown in 547 because I expect the Texans to roll the Lions.

Seriously though, I don't think it's a question of where our expectations lie. I think we're all just ready for this team to start winning. This is year 7. Expectations, schmexpectations. It's time to start freaking winning.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #12
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29537 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Then it looks like I'm setting myself up for another classic meltdown in 547 because I expect the Texans to roll the Lions.

Seriously though, I don't think it's a question of where our expectations lie. I think we're all just ready for this team to start winning. This is year 7. Expectations, schmexpectations. It's time to start freaking winning.
Phrase of the year. Easily.

Either way though, low expectations are for teams with no talent who can pull off a stunning win. We are a team with talent who can pull off a stunning win. Thats why I'm hoping for big things tomorrow!
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Phrase of the year. Easily.

Either way though, low expectations are for teams with no talent who can pull off a stunning win. We are a team with talent who can pull off a stunning win. Thats why I'm hoping for big things tomorrow!
We seem to be a team with talent, with stunningly poor direction.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

For my part I am crushed every time the Texans lose. On a Sunday following a loss I am utterly destroyed and don't want any human contact for the rest of the day. I do yard work and think about how bad the team sucks and how angry I am about it. I live in world of bitter disappointment for about 24 hours.

A loss adds to the already crappy Monday morning routine of going back to work but by noon on Monday I'm starting to hate the world a little less. I might smile before the end of the day if something is really funny or the loss wasn't completely embarrassing. Burying myself in my job keeps me from thinking the bad thoughts and drowns out the worst parts of what the voices tell me to do.

I get up Tuesday and think that I might be able to get over the previous loss if I can just find some redeeming quality about the game. By the end of the day I'm feeling a little better after finding out that the Texans lead the NFL in yards per carry after the 3rd quarter following an opponents scoring drive while still holding all of their timeouts.

Wednesday I know I'm going to make it because that's the day I start looking around and noticing that despite the bad mood I've been in everyone else seems normal. The normalcy starts to rub off on me and I start thinking about the next game. I'd say by the end of the day on Wednesday I'm maybe 34.8% disappointed.

Thursday that drops to around 20% as I start looking at all the information that's appearing online about the upcoming game. I begin to rationalize the previous loss and come up with valid (in my mind) reasons why we're absolutely going to win the next one.

Friday I'm wearing my jersey to work again like the sucker I am and thinking about the game. Saturday I'm trying to get all my weekend stuff done so that I can kick back on Sunday and watch the Texans take the next step. Of course I leave a little something undone just in case I should find myself out in the yard after the next game hating the world and needing something to keep me busy following another Texans loss....
Old 10-19-2008   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
For my part I am crushed every time the Texans lose. On a Sunday following a loss I am utterly destroyed and don't want any human contact for the rest of the day. I do yard work and think about how bad the team sucks and how angry I am about it. I live in world of bitter disappointment for about 24 hours.

A loss adds to the already crappy Monday morning routine of going back to work but by noon on Monday I'm starting to hate the world a little less. I might smile before the end of the day if something is really funny or the loss wasn't completely embarrassing. Burying myself in my job keeps me from thinking the bad thoughts and drowns out the worst parts of what the voices tell me to do.

I get up Tuesday and think that I might be able to get over the previous loss if I can just find some redeeming quality about the game. By the end of the day I'm feeling a little better after finding out that the Texans lead the NFL in yards per carry after the 3rd quarter following an opponents scoring drive while still holding all of their timeouts.

Wednesday I know I'm going to make it because that's the day I start looking around and noticing that despite the bad mood I've been in everyone else seems normal. The normalcy starts to rub off on me and I start thinking about the next game. I'd say by the end of the day on Wednesday I'm maybe 34.8% disappointed.

Thursday that drops to around 20% as I start looking at all the information that's appearing online about the upcoming game. I begin to rationalize the previous loss and come up with valid (in my mind) reasons why we're absolutely going to win the next one.

Friday I'm wearing my jersey to work again like the sucker I am and thinking about the game. Saturday I'm trying to get all my weekend stuff done so that I can kick back on Sunday and watch the Texans take the next step. Of course I leave a little something undone just in case I should find myself out in the yard after the next game hating the world and needing something to keep me busy following another Texans loss....
well, at least you don't kick your dog...
Old 10-19-2008   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I had a yard I would invite you over for every Texans game.

Think of all the yard work I would have gotten
Old 10-19-2008   #17
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For my part I am crushed every time the Texans lose. On a Sunday following a loss.....
Wow, other than I don't see breaking or punching things on Sunday, that was my EXACT life in the old Oiler days.

After Bud ripped my heart out, I'll NEVER get that old passion back. Sorta like my 2nd marriage, I won't let myself get that emotionally invested again. Now, I just get bummed Sunday and pretty much over it by Monday.

While I don't miss the lows, I do miss the highs. #$%& you Bud Adams!
Old 10-19-2008   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Before footballs starts this Sunday, the combined record of our future opponets is 25-35, with the majority of the teams we play around .500 rocords. Those stats are lopsided because our next two games are against two teams with a combined 0-11 record. If the Texans are a middle of the road team, which I believe they are, then they should be able to beat "bad" teams and play other .500 teams to the finish.

But as you say, DB, by not expecting the full potential out of anything is a good trait to have as a Houston football fan. Our history in H-Town bears that out.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #19
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little surprised at the direction this discussion took - this philosophical or personal direction. I was directing my original question from more of an evaluation of talent and a reasoned approach to expectations - like Vegas.

I'm in agreement with Thorn - the remaining schedule is looking favorable and I'm still "expecting" our first winning season.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm a little surprised at the direction this discussion took - this philosophical or personal direction. I was directing my original question from more of an evaluation of talent and a reasoned approach to expectations - like Vegas.

I'm in agreement with Thorn - the remaining schedule is looking favorable and I'm still "expecting" our first winning season.
hmmm for that to happen we need to win eight more games... are there really eight winnable games left considering our defense?

Lions --- win
BenGals - win
@ Vikes - win (maybe)
Ravens -- win (probably)
@ Colts - loss
@ Browns- loss (they have our number for some reason; who knows why)
Jags ---- win
@ Packers - loss (I'm not liking going to Green Bay in December)
Titans ---- loss
@ Raiders - win
Bears ----- win

I can see 8-8 but 9-7 is possible if we can steal one. I'd feel more confident if we stop the dang giveaways.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read