Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2008   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Richard Smith Probation Period

I just posted this idea in TC's pink soap thread but I got to thinking about how brilliant I am and I decided it was deserving of it's own thread....

Much like in alot of jobs, if you're not performing very well you can be put on probation for a period of time where there is a much more strict assessment of your productivity. Due to the schedule over the next two weeks we could really set up a very black and white probation period for Richard as fans. Here's my thinking....

Over the next two weeks we are going to be playing two teams back to back that have been completely decimated by injury, drama, loss of star players, starting QB's etc...

what a perfect scenario to begin the Richard Smith Probation Period or Richard Smith Pee Pee as we can refer to it.

The defense stinks. It's a fact. We're giving up 30 points a game, we're blowing leads every week, etc. etc. But you can't deny they have shown steady progress the last three weeks. Applying better pressure, secondary is improving, tackling is improving, 3rd down % is better. If the improvement continues we should expect to see the points given up to decrease as well.

With all that is going on with Detroit and Cincinnati it would be preposterous to think that we won't continue to see improvement over the next two games. So it's a perfect scenario for an extremely tight leash.

So here's the Richard Smith Probation Period idea:

How about we unify as a fan base and all bickering about Smith's job ceases until Sunday?

if there isn't continued progress sunday against a decimated offense.... as a unified fan base we demand:
fire the schmuck.

if there is progress sunday but regression against the decimated bengals.... as a unified fan base we demand:
fire the schmuck.

if there is continued improvement over those two games and it continues into Baltimore and Indy, we agree to agree that we have an improving defense but Richard Smith remains on probation through the end of the year...
as fans, we remain cautiously hopeful and support the texans front office decision to let it develop.

who's with me?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Richard Smith Probation Period

I have no doubt the defense will play much better this Sunday than Sunday's past...
Old 10-17-2008   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

thats why the probation period is fool proof. if it doesn't play better. it's smith's head. if it does.... he buys more time.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

No Probation, just fire the man.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #5
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i say get rid of him
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I will be rooting for whoever is coaching the Texans whenever they're coaching the Texans. I will be rooting for Smith every week he's our defensive coordinator. I expect to see improvement each week. I'm hoping that he proves me wrong, but I still don't think he's doing a good job and that we can find someone to do beter. And I'm going to keep saying it until he proves me wrong OR we get someone else in.

But that's just me.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of the game, if we have more points than they do, we are good. If not, we shall blame the closest person possible. If that happens to be Richard Smith, then so be it. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2008   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Except for "feel good," winning will prove very little. On the other hand, unless the O totally tanks, if the defense can't contain these sorry O's, then serious consideration should be given to finding Smith a comfortable burial plot. And if the O does totally tank, serious consideration should be given to frugally arranging for additional room.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

So is that it? Is Richard Smith officially on notice for the rest of the season?
Old 10-17-2008   #10
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd agree that Richard Smith needs to be on a tight leash.
Given the relative weakness of these 2 teams I would like to see a few things:
1) More aggressive playcalling...blitzes, etc.
2) More turnovers
3) More sacks

I think these games are a perfect time for all of the above. If we can't do these things against bad teams, then how can we do it against good ones.

And to be fair, remember that the D isn't always giving up 30+ points a game. The offense and special teams have had TOs and blown fake punts etc. that have given up points.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to say something about the Elephant sitting in the corner.

We have a history of making bad offenses look good when we're heavily favored and expected to do well. So... that doesn't bode well. But the thing that really scares me is... The Bengals.

Why? Two words: Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The quarterback for the Bengals is going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick aka Satan.

We really should destroy the Lions. And I think we should beat the Bengals but they've played hard in several games AND they have Fitzpatrick.
Old 10-17-2008   #12
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the first year of Kubiak, we had D-Rob, Mario Williams,
and Demeco Ryans. Mario and Demeco were ROOKIES, and not
as effective as they NEEDED to be. The offense was GARBAGE!!

The second year of Kubiak, both the defense and offense played
very disciplined, but since they were so young on both sides of the
ball, the greatness-to-be was only seen in flashes.

This year, the 3rd year of Kubiak, the offense is looking more elite
as the season goes on; however, they turn the ball over TOO DAMN
MUCH!! A great offense can help a defense get better, just by
STAYING ON THE FIELD.

I predict that when the offense gets better at HOLDING ON TO THE BALL,
the defense will improve, by NOT having to stay on the field for 80
FREAKING SNAPS!!!

Quit blaming Smith, blame our quarterbacks for not protecting the ball. The
ENTIRE TEAM will get better, when our qb's take to Kubiak's teachings. I
LOVE the fact that the coach wants the offense to be aggressive, and
when they learn to be aggressive, yet smart with the football, the Texans
will have an ELITE offense for MANY years to come

Look at what the Patriots did with an elite offense, and a mediocre defense
last season...

16-0..

In conclusion..
ELITE offense + mediocre-or-better defense = Perennial Contender
(See Indianapolis Colts for another example)
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I have no doubt the defense will play much better this Sunday than Sunday's past...
I dont know about that , you know the Texans have a history of making no name QB's look like the next Joe Montana .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Lions have been outscored 40-0 in the first quarter this season while the Texans have been outscored 38-12.

With these numbers in mind, Smith better show that the D can hold the Lions to their historical pattern...................and Schaub better wake his butt up before the end of the game.
Old 10-18-2008   #15
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we dominate the Lions and our stats look even better!
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

The Bengals head coach announced today that Carson Palmer will not be QB against the Texans next week. So Smith better have the squad looking like raging bulls for at least TWO consecutive weeks.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 10-18-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Lions have been outscored 40-0 in the first quarter this season while the Texans have been outscored 38-12.

With these numbers in mind, Smith better show that the D can hold the Lions to their historical pattern...................and Schaub better wake his butt up before the end of the game.
whut he said!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Browns head coach announced today that Carson Palmer will not be QB against the Texans next week. So Smith better have the squad looking like raging bulls for at least TWO consecutive weeks.
Two words: Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old 10-19-2008   #19
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

No probation, it time to fire him. And like you, here's my idea that wa on TC's column: Put Frank Bush in now. It's his probation time. Kubes like Bush but we can't keep wasting time here. We need to make moves. Give the defense to Bush until the end of the season, if there's improvement, great then consider him for the job, but if the defense is still inept, bring in a real defensive coordinator.

My vote - Ron Rivera
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget probation , forget prohibition , hang that sucker.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read