Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2008   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I don't know if we've noticed yet, but...

The Texans have a very solid offensive attack. Our offensive attack is pretty damn potent right now. We are 5th in total offense in the entire league and 2nd in the AFC behind the Broncos (Note to all Schaub haters: He has started four of the five games for the Texans this season. Just saying.)

The thing is that our offense hasn't even reached its peak yet. Think about it: Johnson is balling, Walter is balling, Slaton is da man, Owen is producing in a major way, and even Green is running the ball effectively. What the offense missing is Jacoby Jones. That's right, JACOBY JONES! Andre Davis and David Anderson (as much as I like DA) aren't getting the job done as the 3rd WR. It's time to insert JJ back into the line-up. I don't know what the beef is between JJ and Kubes, but whatever it is they need to grill it up and chew it down. Jacoby needs to be in the rotation at the slot. Check this out: Slaton in the single back formation, OD at TE, Dre and Walt split out wide, and JJ in the slot! Rock and Roll Vandermeer style
Old 10-16-2008   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I don't know if we've noticed yet, but...

We still have room for improvement.

1. Cut down on turnovers
2. Turn red zone FGs into TDs

Once we can find a way to do that we will be a true "top 5" offense.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #3
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

1. Cut down on turnovers
2. Turn red zone FGs into TDs

Once we can find a way to do that we will be a true "top 5" offense.
Yes, we do have room for improvement. But, we are still #5 in the league in total offense despite what you feel makes a "top 5" offense. Like our record, we are what we are.
Old 10-16-2008   #4
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

To add to it, the Texans offense is 2nd in the AFC in passing and receiving yards, and 8th in the league in rushing yards. Yes, the Texans need to improve their red zone efficiency but I think it is coming. I think Kyle Shanahan is doing a great job and headed for great things (like, the future HC of the Texans).
Old 10-16-2008   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

and just to think over the past for years are mind set was Defense Defense Defense thats all we been drafting and FA signing well not 100% we have been pretty balanced in terms of O/D
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #6
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

1. Cut down on turnovers
That is the key to eternal offensive power though.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Yes, we do have room for improvement. But, we are still #5 in the league in total offense despite what you feel makes a "top 5" offense. Like our record, we are what we are.
Gotta agree with Nero on that one, production (yards) is a good indicator of how good an offense is, but untimately it is irrelevant if those yards do not result in points.

1: Fewer turnovers (make those yards = points)

2: Redzone effeciency (basically the same, if we work our way into the redzone, let it result in points)
Old 10-16-2008   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Good things to point out and I do agree about JJ but he also evidently has to show something in pratice if he wants to bust into top 3 WRs.

Got to work on red zone efficency. Can't keep settling for FGs and holding onto the ball. That'll help both sides of the ball.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #9
Tejas Bruja
NFL's Gringa

Rep Power: 11 Tejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVP

Quote:
(Note to all Schaub haters: He has started four of the five games for the Texans this season. Just saying.)
And we've lost four of the five games this season with Rosenfels only starting and losing in one of those games. Just saying...

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I'm smart!
Tejas Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Churning out lots of yards makes us look good as far as stats go, which is all that ranking is. What we need is for them to score points along with racking up all those yards. Houston is 17th in the league in scoring points.

But, I will have to say the offense does look better than it did last year. Fix that red zone problem and beef up the defense, and we are talking play offs. That's a lot of fixin' to do, though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unfortunately, points win games, not yards.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #12
will742
Nukkkk

Rep Power: 102 will742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to will742

Being 5th in offense is a great feat, but it's nothing to brag about as long as we are still leading the league in turnover differential.

Imagine if we could cut down on the turnovers, the sky is the limit!
will742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
and just to think over the past for years are mind set was Defense Defense Defense thats all we been drafting and FA signing well not 100% we have been pretty balanced in terms of O/D
I think the real point of drafting Defense was that Kubes figured he could build an offense without having to spend a lot of draft choices on it. So to build the D, spend the higher draft picks to bring in talented players that will make almost any scheme look good. Almost. Almost any scheme.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Gotta agree with Nero on that one, production (yards) is a good indicator of how good an offense is, but untimately it is irrelevant if those yards do not result in points.

1: Fewer turnovers (make those yards = points)

2: Redzone effeciency (basically the same, if we work our way into the redzone, let it result in points)
Cold Hard Football facts takes a simpler approach: points per yard. That's their Scoreability Index. If your special teams and defense score points, then your scoreability index goes up. If you're efficient in the red zone, that also makes it go up. We're 22nd on the Scoreability Index.
Old 10-17-2008   #15
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
The Texans have a very solid offensive attack. Our offensive attack is pretty damn potent right now. We are 5th in total offense in the entire league and 2nd in the AFC behind the Broncos (Note to all Schaub haters: He has started four of the five games for the Texans this season. Just saying.)

The thing is that our offense hasn't even reached its peak yet. Think about it: Johnson is balling, Walter is balling, Slaton is da man, Owen is producing in a major way, and even Green is running the ball effectively. What the offense missing is Jacoby Jones. That's right, JACOBY JONES! Andre Davis and David Anderson (as much as I like DA) aren't getting the job done as the 3rd WR. It's time to insert JJ back into the line-up. I don't know what the beef is between JJ and Kubes, but whatever it is they need to grill it up and chew it down. Jacoby needs to be in the rotation at the slot. Check this out: Slaton in the single back formation, OD at TE, Dre and Walt split out wide, and JJ in the slot! Rock and Roll Vandermeer style
I like what they have done as well but a reduction in turnovers and increased efficiency in the red zone is really all they need, not a substituition for Andre Davis. AD is most often the third or fourth option on passing downs (behind AJ, Walters, Owen Daniels) so to substitute for him won't make much difference since there are not that many balls thrown his way to begin with. Don't forget that AD was in the top 5 last year in yards per catch - he's a good receiver and is faster than anyone else on the team. JJ is getting better but there is a reason he is not starting in the slot just yet. He will in time.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #16
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Cold Hard Football facts takes a simpler approach: points per yard. That's their Scoreability Index. If your special teams and defense score points, then your scoreability index goes up. If you're efficient in the red zone, that also makes it go up. We're 22nd on the Scoreability Index.
Cool, I did not know that any stats were around dealing with the 'scoreability'.
Scoreability without special teams and defensive scores would be a fairly accurate indicator of our offenses' effeciency then, right ?
Old 10-17-2008   #17
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

That is what is so frustrating for me. We have the talent on offense to really do some damage, but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot with the turnovers.

We are getting there but Matt better stop throwing into double and triple coverage.............and maybe hit wide open WR's in stride.
Old 10-17-2008   #18
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that you guys aren't considering one thing...

We ARE 5th in total yards and we did it against 3 of the top 5 defenses...one reason we may be leading in turnovers. Let us see how we do against similar or weaker opponents.

We may have something special on offense. I think we will all be surprised by season's end.
Old 10-17-2008   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Cool, I did not know that any stats were around dealing with the 'scoreability'.
Scoreability without special teams and defensive scores would be a fairly accurate indicator of our offenses' effeciency then, right ?
That would be. You have to calculate it for all 32 teams to get a feel for relative efficiency.
Old 10-17-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What the offense missing is Jacoby Jones. That's right, JACOBY JONES! Andre Davis and David Anderson (as much as I like DA) aren't getting the job done as the 3rd WR. It's time to insert JJ back into the line-up. I don't know what the beef is between JJ and Kubes, but whatever it is they need to grill it up and chew it down. Jacoby needs to be in the rotation at the slot. Check this out: Slaton in the single back formation, OD at TE, Dre and Walt split out wide, and JJ in the slot! Rock and Roll Vandermeer style
excellent point. Davis really let us down after the sack to start the final drive for a win. jeeze, catching a 13 yard pass for a first down to get us out of a hole. what a looser. who pays these guys? fire rick smith. what a tool.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read