Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-16-2008   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Chron bailing on A&M

Per 610, no link. Chron will no longer be assigning a reporter to A&M and the blog dedicated to A&M will be shutting down.

Not sure how this will be affected:
http://www.chron.com/sports/college/texasam/

But if true, really? Some times I don't get Big 12 media coverage - like when football games aren't aired AT ALL.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chron bailing on A&M

boo hoo

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard it on the radio too.

I'm a Longhorn fan, and I have no love for the Aggies - but this is total BS, especially considering they'll be right back on the wagon whenever College Station gets their sh*t together.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #4
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I thought Harris did a really crappy job, so as far as I am concerned, this is good news. I would rather have no news than bad news.
Old 10-16-2008   #5
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno...I think it is a sad state of affairs when a paper stops covering a college from the area. It is almost as bad as KEYE not showing Texans games.

Maybe A&M will refuse media credentials to the Chronic when they get better.
Old 10-16-2008   #6
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe they'll reassign that reporter to the Austin area and have him cover the city jail in Austin for 'horn players coming through?
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless the Chron is cancelling its plans to cover UT, this is ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Aren't they having some pretty serious budget problems at the Chronicle
which involve layoffs and probably other cutbacks ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Chron bailing on A&M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Aren't they having some pretty serious budget problems at the Chronicle
which involve layoffs and probably other cutbacks ?
Economy is down = advertising is down = TV and newspapers are feeling a crunch. (not sure if that's related to the above posts)
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #10
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

It's not surprising. The Chronicle is a leftist based way liberal rag. I don't even consider it a NEWSpaper. I'd rather use it on my backside quite frankly. It's because A&M is a more conservative school. I'm quite sure there's politicking in the Chronicle underbelly behind it. But then again, the Chronicle has banned me from making any phone calls or writing in anymore.
Old 10-16-2008   #11
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1257 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

That's just sad. Looks like all you'll see now is the AP articles which are becoming more & more prominent in that birdcage liner.

Ted - It's be great if they don't credential them when they re-apply. Serves them right.
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #12
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
What does them covering UT have to do with them covering A&M?
What does your screen name have to do with your reply?

Evidently, it shows what can happen if you take too much!
Old 10-17-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I think A&M should seriously consider limiting credentials to the Chronicle now. You don't kick a man when hes down and A&M will get things back in order and Chronicle will come back begging. Just shameful move considering how inexpensive it is to have a reporter working College Station. If I was A&M Alumni and/or fan, I would be sending a scathing letter to the sports director at Chronicle.
Old 10-17-2008   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd and Inches View Post
It's not surprising. The Chronicle is a leftist based way liberal rag. I don't even consider it a NEWSpaper. I'd rather use it on my backside quite frankly. It's because A&M is a more conservative school. I'm quite sure there's politicking in the Chronicle underbelly behind it. But then again, the Chronicle has banned me from making any phone calls or writing in anymore.
This is either one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read........or one of the most brilliantly sarcastic posts ever written on this board.......the last sentence was classic.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-17-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

And for all the people who think "A&M should not hand out/limit credentials".

C'mon, y'all don't really think they'll do that..........this is the city of Houston, arguably the city that pumps out more blue chippers than any city in America. Hell a Houston kid single handedly knocked off "Pete Carroll's most talented team ever" ......and I'm not talking about Vince Young. (Jacquizz Rodgers)

Do y'all really think A&M is going to deny the city's only newspaper access to their facility when the Chron goes back to them?.....John McClain can go punch their AD straight in the face tomorrow and they'll still give the Chron as much access as they want.

The fact of the matter is A&M just flat sucks now.......it's fallen so far it's sad and A&M isn't in position to deny any free press, especially when nobody is currently beating down their doors to offer any.

Honestly the biggest blame in all this get's laid directly at the feet of A&M themselves.....they're freaking A&M (once considered one of the greatest jobs in the country....right up there with UT), yet they've let almost every single football program in the state pass them by.

If we were doing a Texas college football power ranking, how would you rank the programs in this state?

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-17-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2008   #16
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

That is a very low-class move by the chronic. A&M is in the rebuilding process at the moment so of course they're gonna suck for a couple of years if not more, but you just don't drop them on their ass.

The Chron was already pathetic before this.
Old 10-17-2008   #17
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
This is either one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read........or one of the most brilliantly sarcastic posts ever written on this board.......the last sentence was classic.
Wow, must not have had a plausible argument so, of course, that results in personal attacks. Way to be mature.

Apparently, you don't know ANYONE who has ever worked at the Chronicle. I've known several people who have and they would all agree with me. So, try to formulate a debate before attacking me personally. I'm sure it'll be a stretch.. but I'm sure you can try.
Old 10-17-2008   #18
Tejas Bruja
NFL's Gringa

Rep Power: 11 Tejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVPTejas Bruja was voted MVP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
To put those in more plain english--you can discuss any topic so long as you do not:

1) Personally attack other posters--talk about your own opinion and why you are right rather than trying to describe another person;

Fact--for whatever reason, people on MB's feel that they can say things they would never say in person.

Simple MB rule #1--especially on emotional subjects, before you post think "would I really say this to someone in person?"

Fact--either non-sports topics will be discussed appropriately, or they won't be discussed at all.

Simple MB rule #3--this is a football MB. We would like to allow any discussion topic, but if MB members cannot keep the discussion of non-sports topics civil then that part of the MB will be shut down or severely restricted.

Personal responsibility folks--freedom isn't the opportunity to do whatever the heck you want, it is the opportunity to be responsible for yourself.
I personally think that maybe you should have read the post from infantrycak that I quoted above before you decided to call another poster "idiotic". I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't that a "personal attack" ??

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I'm smart!
Tejas Bruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see what was so off base as to what 3rd N Inches said Carr Bombed. The chronicle has always been a liberal based newspaper. Austin is a liberal city and A&M is more of a conservative school as well.

However, I don't think that it's a big sign of disrespect on the chronicle's part. They are having budget problems and they felt that they couldn't keep the same coverage of the Aggies, because of budgeting issues. They were talking about it on the radio. And if they are going to cut anyone out, it certainly isn't going to be Texas. A&M was just the easier choice.

What I'm wondering is are they going to stop covering Texas Tech now and Baylor as well?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Wow, somebody needs thicher skin........what a complete joke.

Hey thanks for the negative rep 3rd and inches......as you can see it really hurt.

Anyways, I never attacked him, I said his post was either "idiotic or sarcastic", because people joke so much around here I couldn't tell the damn difference...(and to be honest the post was so out there I thought he was joking).....but hey, now I know he wasn't being sarcastic......

If you really think the Chron is holding a grudge against A&M, because they are a "conservative school", please wake up, that has nothing to do with it. I think some people are starting to let this election get to their heads.

and to be frank with you (ah hell, here's comes another negative rep) If you're so paranoid that you think a sports section of a newspaper is going to quit covering a football team, because of supposed hidden political agendas I can see why the hell the Chron stopped taking your emails or your calls.....I mean did you call them up if the top of the obituaries was field with liberals also?

Seriously, did it ever just cross your mind that this country is going through it's biggest economic crisis in about 80 years.......during a time where the newspaper business is dying off. So maybe the Chron (like every other company in this country.....even the conservative ones) just doesn't have it in their budget to cover one of the worst football programs in their state this year.....nah, that would make too much sense....it has to be because they aren't a bunch of tree huggers from Austin.

This city has always been one of the biggest frontrunners in the entire country and to be frank again.......nobody wants to read about a loser, and losing doesn't sell that well here. Programs like Houston, TT, and even Baylor to a degree have got their programs headed in the right direction....if A&M had their house in order this thread wouldn't even be here.

- Edmund Burke

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read