Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-16-2008   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerome Solomon Article on Schuab

Yeah we have heard alot of things over the last few weeks and Solomon isn't always my favorite but he asks alot of the same questions that I have seemed to ask here and he has alot of the same thoughts. I don't blindly accept he is better than Sage, etc or that he will end up being a star but SOME people are pretty bad fans when it comes to the situation...this is parts and pieces of it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6060889.html

Quote:
.............................Schaub needs somebody to tell the world that he is the now and future quarterback of the Texans. Somebody to tell us that when his career ends, heíll go down as a great Houston quarterback.

Maybe Schaub just needs somebody to tell football fans in Houston just how cool he actually is. Thatís all.

Heís the better QB
Schaub, wide-eyed optimist that he is, came to town looking to make the city like him through his play. Right now, that is not good enough. Oh, most often his play should be good enough for people to like him, but for some reason, many are slow to recognize that.

Some fans at Reliant Stadium this past Sunday chose to boo Schaub after he threw a couple of early interceptions against Miami. (Thatís OK). They compounded the insult by calling for his backup by name. (Hello?).

Chanting for Sage Rose-and-the-ball-fell, who single-handedly gave away a sure Texans victory the last time he was on the field, is akin to saying, ďThank You, sir. May I have another?Ē

Is there something about the torture that yíall alike?

Have you married the wrong spouse more than once? Do you regularly take a second helping of spoiled milk? How many times did your mama have to tell you not to touch that hot stove before you stopped touching that hot stove?

They of little faith
From what I see, itís not that people think Rosenfels is better than Schaub so much as they are afraid to believe in Schaub.

Thatís the El Ocho Viejo effect combined with the H-Town QB Scorn Syndrome.

Consequently, Schaub is being held to a higher standard. He is being measured against the standard of greatness that Houston NFL fans have come to expect from its quarterbacks. You know, the Super Bowl legacies of Ö...

Sorry, thatís a publicistís line.

For a city regarded as soft on sports figures, Hous- ton has been rough on quar-terbacks. Dan Pastorini came in with flair and was quickly cooled down. Warren Moon arrived with fanfare and was almost driven out of town.............................................. .....

He comes to the stadium on off days to prepare for games. He does all media requests the team gives him, but he has turned down dozens of endorsements opportunities, radio shows and the like because he wants to earn the attention.

He is confident. So confident that he laughed when he entered the huddle while home fans were jeering him.

His teammates like and respect him. They enjoy hanging out with him. Owen Daniels and Andre Johnson, his top two targets, might be as close to him as anybody on the team.

When Schaub hosted a barbecue during OTAs, his teammates had a blast. When he had them over for a shindig after minicamp, all had a good time.

The coaching staff believes in him. The front-office staff loves him. The media canít even fabricate a complaint about him.

Yet for some reason, there are fans who have concluded that the Texans donít consider Schaub a leader. Daniels says Schaub should hire him as a publicist.

ďMattís a great guy. I vouch for him,Ē Daniels said.

ďHeís a professional. He prepares as well as anybody Iíve seen prepare in terms of knowing what a defense is doing and knowing our game plan like the back of his hand. Heís a good buddy, a funny guy thatís easygoing around the locker room. Heís a guyís guy.Ē
Old 10-16-2008   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Jerome Solomon Article on Schuab

That's all well and good, and I agree with much of it, but really, at the end of it all, there's one thing that trumps all:

8 turnovers in 4 games.

If he wants to shut the critics up, cut that down. It's really simple.
Old 10-16-2008   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's all well and good, and I agree with much of it, but really, at the end of it all, there's one thing that trumps all:

8 turnovers in 4 games.

If he wants to shut the critics up, cut that down. It's really simple.
Agreed. But I do think that people are a little messed up when they give him no credit for a great game he lost..J'Ville and then chant for a guy who just single handedly gave away a win the week before. I'll post again what yahoo said yesterday

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
25. Houston Texans: Were thousands of Texans fans roasting turkeys on Sunday, or were they actually calling for a quarterback who’d blown the previous game by turning over the ball three times in the final four minutes?
I think both guys are struggling at times but people need to just accept the situation and see where it heads this season. In all reality, if it isn't Schaub it will be a draft pick or a new vet.
Old 10-16-2008   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

& what trumps 3 turnovers in 4 minutes to lose a game that was a sure-fire win?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never called for Sage over Schaub, and I'm not one to get caught up in stadium chants. Without bringing Sage into the conversation at all, Schaub's judgment will come down to one single thing for me - his ability to make sound decisions on the football field. He has consistently made questionable throws in games dating back to his first. Sometimes he gets away with and sometimes he doesn't. Every QB makes questionable throws from time to time, but Schaub's off the deep end with it. His numbers reflect it, and those of that have watched the games know that his INTs could actually be higher.

This has nothing to do with Sage, for me.
Old 10-16-2008   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
I've never called for Sage over Schaub, and I'm not one to get caught up in stadium chants. Without bringing Sage into the conversation at all, Schaub's judgment will come down to one single thing for me - his ability to make sound decisions on the football field. He has consistently made questionable throws in games dating back to his first. Sometimes he gets away with and sometimes he doesn't. Every QB makes questionable throws from time to time, but Schaub's off the deep end with it. His numbers reflect it, and those of that have watched the games know that his INTs could actually be higher.

Again, well said. It will come down to just that and in the end it will be him or next year will be a rookie learning or a vet coming in.
Old 10-16-2008   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Yeah we have heard alot of things over the last few weeks and Solomon isn't always my favorite but he asks alot of the same questions that I have seemed to ask here and he has alot of the same thoughts. I don't blindly accept he is better than Sage, etc or that he will end up being a star but SOME people are pretty bad fans when it comes to the situation...this is parts and pieces of it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6060889.html
Greeeaaaaat!!! Frog and Queen Soloman thinking alike

Old 10-16-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of Frogs. Huge game tonight for TCU.

Can they upset #9 BYU???? Will TCU's vaunted 'D' have a better showing than the OU game????

Find out tonight!!

Sorry for the randomness.
Old 10-16-2008   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Greeeaaaaat!!! Frog and Queen Soloman thinking alike

I know, probably the one and only time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Speaking of Frogs. Huge game tonight for TCU.

Can they upset #9 BYU???? Will TCU's vaunted 'D' have a better showing than the OU game????

Find out tonight!!

Sorry for the randomness.
It's huge. I just don't know if the secondary can hack it. In the past TCU has had one of the top defenses and they really showed it...games against Nebraska years ago and Oklahoma 2 years ago but they show some cracks against the pass now. We need our stud DE to get pressure.
Old 10-16-2008   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah but that's not saying much....that's true for all Qb's.

never mind the booers...a good portion of those are full on adult beverages & the others are just idiots... a big reason i don't like going to games of any sort.

IMO, What some fail to grasp, or just don't care about to really pay attention to, is that he's also barely finishing his 1st year as a starter this year. Despite him being in the league for 3 years, he's pretty much still a rookie starter as he missed a ton of games last year.... his play to this point essentially says that...some flashes & then...

He's never gonna put amazing stats like a Manning or Favre. But as long as Kubes keeps surrounding him with better talent, i could see him reaching say a Bernie Kosar type level....serviceable you know.
Old 10-16-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is confident. So confident that he laughed when he entered the huddle while home fans were jeering him.
I gotta' dig that quote. It's the only way to be.

Schaub is still learning, but I see the potential for him to be a good QB in this league. In spite of his own mistakes, he still kept his head in the game and did what he needed to to when it mattered most.
Old 10-16-2008   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know, probably the one and only time!!

It's huge. I just don't know if the secondary can hack it. In the past TCU has had one of the top defenses and they really showed it...games against Nebraska years ago and Oklahoma 2 years ago but they show some cracks against the pass now. We need our stud DE to get pressure.
I know I'll be watching. I actually like both teams, but I'd like to see TCU pull it out. It'll really be BYU's first test of the season. They really haven't played anybody. Their QB looks like a good one too.

Old 10-16-2008   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah but that's not saying much....that's true for all Qb's.

never mind the booers...a good portion of those are full on adult beverages & the others are just idiots... a big reason i don't like going to games of any sort.

IMO, What some fail to grasp, or just don't care about to really pay attention to, is that he's also barely finishing his 1st year as a starter this year. Despite him being in the league for 3 years, he's pretty much still a rookie starter as he missed a ton of games last year.... his play to this point essentially says that...some flashes & then...

He's never gonna put amazing stats like a Manning or Favre. But as long as Kubes keeps surrounding him with better talent, i could see him reaching say a Bernie Kosar type level....serviceable you know.
Not that I'm disagreeing with your basic point... but...

This is his 5th year in the league, not his 3rd. He shouldn't really be getting a pass on anything because of inexperience.

And I also disagree with you in that I think he CAN put up amazing stats. If he stays healthy for a year, he can put up some huge numbers. Unfortunately, like guys like Favre and Elway, that looks like some pretty high interception numbers, too. If he can get the red zone and his short passing game working, he could be a great QB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And I also disagree with you in that I think he CAN put up amazing stats.
Yup, his pace would project to 4300 yards on a season. We won't talk about how his INT's would project right now.
Old 10-16-2008   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup, his pace would project to 4300 yards on a season. We won't talk about how his INT's would project right now.

*cough*26notcountingfumbles*cough*

Most reasonable people recognize that the jury is still out on Schaub, and there are some indications that he could put up some incredible numbers. Those same people ought to also recognize that there are indications he could be a bad QB. It's too early to tell, but we're probably about halfway through the evaluation process at this point.
Old 10-16-2008   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

How about we get in Schaub's corner this week to try and get a win against Detroit?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #17
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

People still read this guy? I thought he had a radio show in San Antonio.
Old 10-16-2008   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Good point I-cak...4300 yds is very good until your eyes move further right into that Interception column.
Old 10-16-2008   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
People still read this guy? I thought he had a radio show in San Antonio.
Sorry I caught this while reading the sports in my "other office"
Old 10-16-2008   #20
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
.......... in my "other office"
A very appropriate place for one of his articles.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read