Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-16-2008   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Troy Polamalu is sick of it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3646392

Quote:
..."I think regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch," Polamalu said. "We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."...
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Troy Polamalu is sick of it...

Good for him. I read this earlier. The NFL is becoming wussified with their penalties and fines.
Old 10-16-2008   #3
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

yup its dumb as hell... i think they should get an old time NFL player to be commish....
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
yup its dumb as hell... i think they should get an old time NFL player to be commish....
Too bad Ray Nitschke passed....
Old 10-16-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
It's not the just the NFL that's become like this. Every other sport has as well. Baseball and basketball are both wimpier than they used to be.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Preach on troy
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #7
3rd and Inches
NFL's La Migra

Rep Power: 1035 3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected3rd and Inches is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to 3rd and Inches Send a message via MSN to 3rd and Inches Send a message via Yahoo to 3rd and Inches

I think some of the fines are legit. However, it's like the NFL is going overboard with them. I understand they're trying to send a message that they're not playing around. But, it seems like if a linebacker farts before the snap, they're going to be fined. It's ridiculous. Fine the ones that deserve it, and let the players play the game.
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2008   #8
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame soccer moms

I don't know what Palin's stance on physical contact is

but if sh's against it, I'm blaming hockey moms too
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Troy. I long for the days of Deacon Jones... though I wasn't around for them.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I'm with Troy. I long for the days of Deacon Jones... though I wasn't around for them.
Ahhh, the days of head slaps and loaded arm pads. You didn't have to be a 6'5" 300 lb man that could run a 40 in 4.7 back then.

You just needed to be a ruthless mean SOB once you stepped within the lines. It wasn't really about the money back then, it was about beating the piss out of the opponent in route to the SB.
Old 10-16-2008   #11
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I love Troy Polamalu because he plays as if he came from a time warp circa the late seventies or eighties. I agree with this man 100%. Dick Butkis, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Rosie Grier or Alex Karass should be the next commissioner.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #12
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
I blame soccer moms

I don't know what Palin's stance on physical contact is

but if sh's against it, I'm blaming hockey moms too
I'm thinking Palin is PRO contact. She DOES have 5 kids...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #13
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I'm thinking Palin is PRO contact. She DOES have 5 kids...
Very funny...

Earl for Commish!
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, for the good old days. I grew up in KC watching Fred "The Hammer" Williamson later turned action actor (Black Belt). I was there, when he split one of many helmets............you could hear the crack throughout the stadium as each half flew to opposite sidelines. That's when football players left their tutus at home.

Quote:
The Hammer is what they called him and for good reason; he would swing his arm, like a hammer, at his opponent and break their helmet with his arm. Fred has 5 sons and each of them have one of their father's cracked helmets. It seems as if the hammer had a few shots to the head himself. Working with Fred recently we learned the reason for his unusual mask set up. Very simply "It was to keep those pulling guards from giving me an upward forearm rip". Fred angled his two bar mask upward and attached a single bar directly below. [SEE LINK FOR PIC] You will notice Taylor did the same thing but with two one bars. This helmet was personally built for Fred, he has run out of sons so maybe he can keep this one.

Speaking with Jimmy Corcoran recently, I was told a conversation he and his NFL QB dad (King Corcoran) had long ago. Jimmy said "I was watching TV as a kid and one of the Hammer's movies came on, I had heard stories about him from my father and some of his teammates. I asked was this guy a good player? and my father said let me put it this way "If you took away his trademark cigar, his custom made white cleats and all the hype that goes with the hammer, you still wouldn't want to go across the middle on him, because he would take your head off."
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #15
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
It's not the just the NFL that's become like this. Every other sport has as well. Baseball and basketball are both wimpier than they used to be.
dont forget the NHL few hits, no aggression, no passion

our society is raising a bunch of pansy. no hard hits in football, no celebrations. you can even see it in our schools - no tag b/c ppl feel alienated, no dodgeball, any insult counts a bullying. I cant wait to see the coming generations when they cant handle any problems bc thier still "breast feeding" at age 20+
Old 10-17-2008   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
dont forget the NHL few hits, no aggression, no passion

our society is raising a bunch of pansy. no hard hits in football, no celebrations. you can even see it in our schools - no tag b/c ppl feel alienated, no dodgeball, any insult counts a bullying. I cant wait to see the coming generations when they cant handle any problems bc thier still "breast feeding" at age 20+
I blame it on Bicycle Helmets.

I mean... if a kid had worn one of those when I was growing up, he would have been laughed off the block.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read