Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2004   #21
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I'm not related nor do I know Biped. I too just read the postings. However, I still tend to agree with some of what he is saying. By the way changing your head coach after 3 years, is not changing every year. I too feel the direction of the team has been down hill this year. Is AJ in the PRO Bowl? Did everyone want DRob in the PRO bowl? While AJ has done things on this team, he's not getting that because of our offensive productivity. He's being reconginized as being a far better player than he shows while playing for Houston. The development of the O-line has been a dismal failure. What started this, however, was a statement about Holgren by perhaps McLain. I find that interesting, because there was another article in the Chronicle a couple of weeks ago which said everything was just fine with the Houston coaches. My comment was that comment was like the kiss of death. Many times such comments are followed by terminations at the end of the season. At that point in time there appeared to be some real disention on the team. Seems to be a lot of rumors flying. Is this a rumor by Holgren to solidify his job? McLain is not known for leaking misinformation. There's usually smoke where there is fire. McNair is a successfull businessman and I would think the excuses we hear week after week, and by the way they are generally the same, may not sit too well. He's not the vocal type and he's not going to outwardly undermine his head coach during the season. However, it would not surprise me if Capers were fired at the end of the season, particularly if Casserly is on the hot seat because of Caper's performance. I will still say that the Jaguars game could have been lost by a poor game management decision at a critcial point. They almost got a touchdown because of it. We were lucky Brown made the tackle. I simply do not think Capers is a good head coach.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #22
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

awww so the blocked field goal was capers fault huh ?? Yeah i thought i saw him sneak into a jersey and go out on the field !!!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #23
profan
Veteran

Holgrem is about to be run out of Seattle, why would we take him? Bob McNair has a plan for success and he will stick to it. He will not stray from the plan when we are on the right track. What are you going to gripe about next year when we make the playoff Harrybibed? I can already here people b tching because we did not score enough points in our wins.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
Holgrem is about to be run out of Seattle, why would we take him? Bob McNair has a plan for success and he will stick to it. He will not stray from the plan when we are on the right track. What are you going to gripe about next year when we make the playoff Harrybibed? I can already here people b tching because we did not score enough points in our wins.

haha you are right people always complain about one thing or the other. So if we were to win the superbowl there would still be unhappy people !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #25
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
awww so the blocked field goal was capers fault huh ?? Yeah i thought i saw him sneak into a jersey and go out on the field !!!!
You miss the point entirely. It has to do with where you are on the field, the time left in the ball game, what happens if the other team gets the ball back, and what it means if you get or do not get a 1st down. Over many years of watching football, I have seen others do what we did not do. I still say we should have attempted to run for the 1st down. It was a much safer play that was relatively risk free. The problem with the attempted field goal was exactly what happened and if made, it gave the other team the ball with relatively good field position compared to where they would have had it if we ran the ball and didn't make it. If we make the 1st down we win the game then and there literally. The field goal does not necessarilly win the game at that point. Brown made the tackle I won't debate that. But if he doesn't and the Jags score its 14-7 and I bet you see an onside kick. If they get it they can then score to tie or go ahead in the ball game after our players played their guts out for most of the game. I still think its an example of game mismanagement. We won and thats great.
Old 12-28-2004   #26
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
You miss the point entirely. It has to do with where you are on the field, the time left in the ball game, what happens if the other team gets the ball back, and what it means if you get or do not get a 1st down. Over many years of watching football, I have seen others do what we did not do. I still say we should have attempted to run for the 1st down. It was a much safer play that was relatively risk free. The problem with the attempted field goal was exactly what happened and if made, it gave the other team the ball with relatively good field position compared to where they would have had it if we ran the ball and didn't make it. If we make the 1st down we win the game then and there literally. The field goal does not necessarilly win the game at that point. Brown made the tackle I won't debate that. But if he doesn't and the Jags score its 14-7 and I bet you see an onside kick. If they get it they can then score to tie or go ahead in the ball game after our players played their guts out for most of the game. I still think its an example of game mismanagement. We won and thats great.
What if, What if, What if,.......... give me a break. All of those what ifs and you never mentioned once that we would have won the game if Brown had made the field goal. The chances of a blocked field goal are far less than running the ball for a first.

And if your objective is to gripe about the playcalling. Two weeks ago we did decide to go for it on a fourth down in a similar situation and we went on to score.

You people discuss me. We beat a rival playoff contender team 21-0 and yet you make up all these once in a lifetime situations and say we should have done something else. Be happy damnit, go out and buy soem icecream or whatever makes you happy. Give me a break.
Old 12-28-2004   #27
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
haha you are right people always complain about one thing or the other. So if we were to win the superbowl there would still be unhappy people !
Yes, when we win the Superbowl, there will be still be people wanting Capers head. These same people who want to see Capers gone, will say the team won it with talent and Capers had nothing to do with it or will complain about what if's. These people will blame Capers for the losses and give credit elsewhere for the wins.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2004   #28
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
What if, What if, What if,.......... give me a break. All of those what ifs and you never mentioned once that we would have won the game if Brown had made the field goal. The chances of a blocked field goal are far less than running the ball for a first.

And if your objective is to gripe about the playcalling. Two weeks ago we did decide to go for it on a fourth down in a similar situation and we went on to score.

You people discuss me. We beat a rival playoff contender team 21-0 and yet you make up all these once in a lifetime situations and say we should have done something else. Be happy damnit, go out and buy soem icecream or whatever makes you happy. Give me a break.
Is he ordering us to discuss him or saying that we already do it too much?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #29
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ

And if you read my postings on that call you will see I said that was the call that needed to be made and was made for all of the right reasons and congradualted the coaches for making that call. I said that was the call that won the ball game...........................
Old 12-28-2004   #30
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Is he ordering us to discuss him or saying that we already do it too much?
LoL, i meant disgusts me
Old 12-28-2004   #31
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
I still say we should have attempted to run for the 1st down. It was a much safer play that was relatively risk free.
What the hell are you talking about, make up your mind. Should we have kicked the field goal or not?
Old 12-28-2004   #32
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Biped
, the majority of Texans fans are more than ready for a change. When that happens, change is never far behind.
Feel free to spew forth your ridiculous ramblings but please don't generalize the majority of the Texan fans agree with you. I certaintly don't.

And it is Holmgren not Holgren.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #33
jhawktx
Rookie

What is all the stink about anyway? We'll probably end up 8-8 in only our 3rd year as a team. Not bad. You'd think we were about to finish 2-14 or something. Chill.
jhawktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
but it is still just a mediocre showing from a franchise that has many more advantages that most in the NFL do right now.
Really??? Other than the coaching staff you think is incompetent, please name the "many more advantages than most in the NFL" the Texans have right now--in other words instead of a self-serving generalization identify the specifics.
Old 12-28-2004   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While AJ has done things on this team, he's not getting that because of our offensive productivity. He's being reconginized as being a far better player than he shows while playing for Houston.
AJ is in the pro-bowl (a) because he was in the top 4 AFC WR's on the field for the vast majority of the season and (b) because he is a physical freak that opposing D's have to respect and game plan for--and he still gets the yards much of the time.

Quote:
Seems to be a lot of rumors flying. Is this a rumor by Holgren to solidify his job?
One is now "a lot?" And if you are going to act like you are a good judge of coaches at least learn to spell their names--and no it isn't a typing error, you did it more than once.

Quote:
I will still say that the Jaguars game could have been lost by a poor game management decision at a critcial point. They almost got a touchdown because of it. We were lucky Brown made the tackle. I simply do not think Capers is a good head coach.
You have to be kidding. 5 minutes left in a 14-0 game and you call it bad coaching to kick a field goal to make it a three score game against the cardiac cats rather than go for a 4th and 2 attempt against a 7th ranked run D that while it had given up some big plays had also stuffed DD a number of times? That is proof you will make up anything to call bad coaching. Every coach from high school on up in the country would have made that call.
Old 12-29-2004   #36
Harry Biped
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Really??? Other than the coaching staff you think is incompetent, please name the "many more advantages than most in the NFL" the Texans have right now--in other words instead of a self-serving generalization identify the specifics.
The Texans have the best stadium and facilities in the NFL. There is no state income tax in Texas and that is a huge benefit to prospective players. The mild winter weather is also an attractant to many NFL players. Many live in Houston now and did not grow up there and never played for a Houston team. The Texans have been afforded more picks in the draft the last 2 seasons by the NFL, however they did trade some of them away. Not to mention all of the talent they were able to get from other teams especially the Jets and the Jags in the expansion draft. They have no major long term salary cap issues to deal with. The franchise is the 3rd most valuable in the NFL. The owner is the 2nd richest in the NFL. The city does a great job supporting the team, right now anyway. That is a few of many. Is that specific enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Gal 312
Feel free to spew forth your ridiculous ramblings but please don't generalize the majority of the Texan fans agree with you. I certainly don't.

And it is Holmgren not Holgren.
First of all, I could care less about how to spell Holmgren. It's obviously a typo and for you or anyone else to point it out is very childish. What it reflects, is that since you lack the intellect to offer a real meaningful statement about the status of the team or my opinion of that, you choose to strike out at me to try and make me look foolish to make yourself feel better. Did it work? Do you feel better?

Secondly, you should start to read the papers, this website and listen to sports talk radio sometime. And if you go to the games, listen to the people around you when the offense is screwing away another opportunity. If you don't go to the games, just listen to the fans boo Palmer and his offense on TV or radio after said screwing away of another opportunity. The fans, especially the ones that buy the tickets, want Palmer gone ASAP. If you don't, then you are in the minority and that is your problem, not mine. If you don't agree, then make an intelligent statement of such, don't just let your misguided emotions lead you to taking a shot at me because I stated a fact.

It is far worse for the team and it's cause to lay back and let them present a team that is playing well below it's potential because of the leadership. There is nothing wrong with calling for change, even if you don't like it. I'll state again, my issues are with Palmer's failed offensive philosophy, not with the team, except for the extent that they allow it to negatively impact the team and its fans, without changing it. I'm not calling for Capers' head yet, but he has one more year to get things right and if he doesn't they'll all be gone and the team will have to start over from scratch. All I want is to rid them of what the problem is in the 1st place, Chris Palmer.
Harry Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Is that specific enough.
Ummm, in a word--no, since only the extra draft picks has anything to do with on field performance and anybody that doesn't fall completely into one or both of the knee-jerk or un-football knowledgeable categories knows it takes time for rookies to develop and time to build team with not only starters but quality depth.

Quote:
And if you go to the games, listen to the people around you when the offense is screwing away another opportunity. If you don't go to the games, just listen to the fans boo Palmer and his offense on TV or radio after said screwing away of another opportunity. The fans, especially the ones that buy the tickets, want Palmer gone ASAP.
Once again, ummm, no. Have been to every single home game and there have been very few occassions with booing, a few granted, but then in a group of 70,000 people you are likely to find someone that agrees with you--of course you will also find some people that believe they can talk to their dog, doesn't make them right.
Old 12-29-2004   #38
Harry Biped
Rookie

Quote:
Ummm, in a word--no, since only the extra draft picks has anything to do with on field performance and anybody that doesn't fall completely into one or both of the knee-jerk or un-football knowledgeable categories knows it takes time for rookies to develop and time to build team with not only starters but quality depth.
Being that, the Texans have chosen to use the draft almost exclusively to build/improve their team, it is undenyably an advantage to have had extra draft choices. Rookie development has little to do with the question at hand. Did the Texans have advantages over most of the other teams in the league? The most certainly did, by this and all of the other points I listed as well.

Quote:
Once again, ummm, no. Have been to every single home game and there have been very few occassions with booing, a few granted, but then in a group of 70,000 people you are likely to find someone that agrees with you--of course you will also find some people that believe they can talk to their dog, doesn't make them right.
If you haven't heard the boos, then you must have been high or drunk or hidden away in the suites on the club level. The fans have booed the offense at every home game this season and usually more than once and it has been pointed out by the media several times this season alone. I too have been to every game this season and I have 1st hand knowledge of it along with the 60,000-65,000 other fans who actually show up for the games.
Harry Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #39
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If he wants an O-coordinator job I think we can help him out. if he wants to run the ball game, he better go to san fran.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #40
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

And some teams have had 10, 20, 30, 40+ years to get their team and fanbase established. I'd say that outweighs any advantages some meager draft picks might have given Houston.

Fanbase was largely there because of the Oilers football fans, but If you went to each team and said "You can keep 2 players, but everyone else that has been here longer than 3 years, you're gone. The team can try to sign a few decent FAs and the rest have to be journeymen and rookies." And that doesn't even take into account that some coaches have been with their teams longer than 3 years.

Maybe that isn't an accurate comparison, but you get the idea. It's 3:30. Sucks being about the only poster left at this point. (But I get up late as hell right now so it's my own fault.)

I'm not posting this to complain, I'm just saying the Texans are far from having advantages as far as the team they are capable of fielding at this point.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read