Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-15-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default FA/Draft needs in '09

Part of this is about assessing the weaknesses of what looks like a good team right now... Then, I'm just excited about accumulating some more talent in the draft. Next season we should have as close to a complete team as you can have in the NFL.

Major Needs:
Center: Meyers is servicable. He holds up pretty well in pass protection but gets pushed around too much in running plays... He's simply a good backup to have.

Guard: Briesel just doesn't have it and neither does Studdard. I actually believe in Frye but we certainly need depth there.

RB: Slaton is about 1/2 the answer. I'm thrilled with him. However, though I was Bullish on CTaylor, it's clear we need two other guys we can count on as depth and to take 10 touches a game.

FB: We need a backup!

Speed Rusher DL: This should be where the money or high round pick is spent. This player turns our team into a contender!

Run Stuffer DL: I'm happy with what's going on with Cochran and Okoye on pass downs but clearly we need a big hoss, even if Okam improves, we need still need the depth.

Playmaking SS: a big, fast, mean SOB would complete the secondary.

That's a pretty big list. However, most of that stuff is mid round, and second tier FA type players, with the exception of the speed rushing DE.

Damn, we are almost very good!!!!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: FA/Draft needs in '09

You can add an OLB to that. Diles could be upgraded and Greenwood has to be upgraded. I don't know if Adibi is the answer or not, but I don't want to wait around to find out. I think we need to add someone who's quick and can bring the wood.

I also think we need to start looking at a QB. I would probably draft one in the later rounds again next year to see if you can find some gold. And, depending on how Schaub does next year, restructure him or draft a new franchise QB. Also, there's been some discrepancy on whether Sage is a FA or not next year. I wouldn't mind bringing in Losman to replace Sage is he is a FA. Losman is decent outside of the pocket, which is nice for our offense.

And, obviously another CB wouldn't hurt. Though, I know that's not going to happen.

But, I would probably rank our top 3 needs as:
OLB
DE
RB

With S coming in a close 4th.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
You can add an OLB to that. Diles could be upgraded and Greenwood has to be upgraded. I don't know if Adibi is the answer or not, but I don't want to wait around to find out. I think we need to add someone who's quick and can bring the wood.

I also think we need to start looking at a QB. I would probably draft one in the later rounds again next year to see if you can find some gold. And, depending on how Schaub does next year, restructure him or draft a new franchise QB. Also, there's been some discrepancy on whether Sage is a FA or not next year. I wouldn't mind bringing in Losman to replace Sage is he is a FA. Losman is decent outside of the pocket, which is nice for our offense.

And, obviously another CB wouldn't hurt. Though, I know that's not going to happen.

OLB
DE
RB

I would bring in a vet other then Sage and look at adressing the other positions. From what I am seeing right now the QB class this year doesn't look like it'll be nearly as good as next year's.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I would bring in a vet other then Sage and look at adressing the other positions. From what I am seeing right now the QB class this year doesn't look like it'll be nearly as good as next year's.
We've got another year to evaluate Schaub before his bonus kicks in, so it's not really a priority anyway. We'll only need to address it if Sage is a FA. Otherwise, I might just draft one to see if I can find the proverbial diamond in the rough.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #5
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Part of this is about assessing the weaknesses of what looks like a good team right now... Then, I'm just excited about accumulating some more talent in the draft. Next season we should have as close to a complete team as you can have in the NFL.

Major Needs:
Center: Meyers is servicable. He holds up pretty well in pass protection but gets pushed around too much in running plays... He's simply a good backup to have.

Guard: Briesel just doesn't have it and neither does Studdard. I actually believe in Frye but we certainly need depth there.

RB: Slaton is about 1/2 the answer. I'm thrilled with him. However, though I was Bullish on CTaylor, it's clear we need two other guys we can count on as depth and to take 10 touches a game.

Speed Rusher DL: This should be where the money or high round pick is spent. This player turns our team into a contender!

Run Stuffer DL: I'm happy with what's going on with Cochran and Okoye on pass downs but clearly we need a big hoss, even if Okam improves, we need still need the depth.

That's a pretty big list. However, most of that stuff is mid round, and second tier FA type players, with the exception of the speed rushing DE.

Your ok with our Linebackers????????

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #6
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Your ok with our Linebackers????????
Exactly! OLB is the weakest part of our team and I'm beginning to think we should move Demeco outside to best utilize his talents and find another MLB.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our first four picks should be:

1) DE
2) OLB
3) RB
4) OT (backup OT or convert to OG)

Ideally, in that order.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2008   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Exactly! OLB is the weakest part of our team and I'm beginning to think we should move Demeco outside to best utilize his talents and find another MLB.

I'm mixed on Diles but becoming a believer despite some mistakes. I'm also excited about Adibi. But, beyond that, I really like Thompson on the strong side and like Bentley quite a bit as well.

Of course we could get better there, but I'm pretty happy with the group of 6- 7 if you include Coley who I think is on the P.S. I agree that Greenwood should and will be gone.
Old 10-15-2008   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

OLB
DE
RB

I love our CB situation. As a matter of a fact, other than OT and WR, I think in terms of depth it is the strength of our team.

Dunta (assuming re-signed)
Bennett
Reeves
Molden
Faggins.

Great depth- unless you have the ability to get a special talent, that position is filled.
Old 10-15-2008   #10
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i wouldnt draft many offensive players untill we stop giving up 30 points a game.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i wouldnt draft many offensive players untill we stop giving up 30 points a game.

If we upgraded at RG and Center, we wouldn't be giving up 30 points a game. Our tackles are excellent already in the run game... If those two positions get upgraded, we can shove the ball down the throat of most defenses!
Old 10-15-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed. jury's still out for me on money mike but meyers clearly gets man handled. i'm so used to seeing centers 5 yard back in the backfield it's rediculous! what the hell is going on there?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #13
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

FA:
Break the bank on Terrell Suggs.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #14
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Haynesworth , Suggs, or Nmadi would reaally upgrade this team. Either could vault this team defensively top 10. Offensively , this team is good enough minus the turn overs.
Old 10-15-2008   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

0) OLB
1) Rush End
2) Plug DT
3) Play-making safety, preferably FS, but SS would be legit.
4) Center
5) Guard
6) RB/FB someone who could play both the backup running back and backup fullback spot.
7) CB
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #16
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be against OG Duke Robinson or a top 3 OT. Sure wouldn't suck to shore up our offensive line.
Old 10-15-2008   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope the Texans offseason goes something like this

FA Hanesworth
rd1 Curry lb Wake Forest or Cushing lb USC
rd2 Brown de Fla. St.
rd.3 Caldwell C ALABAMA or Ulatoski G-T UT
rd4 Mattews LB USC
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #18
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Major Needs:

agree
agree
Grenn/Slaton we need to see how this plays out this year and we could wait till 2010
Leach is enough
Another Speed rusher is a must ie. 1st round pick
DT is something that I would like to spend free agent money on ie. a better deal than a DL money wise
and a safety if availeble in the 2nd round should be what we look at

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We need an upgrade at every position except WR. Positions that would make the most impact:

Running Back: A guy who can go 15 carries a game. Ahman is actually impressing me in his backup role this year, but his career is 98% over. We need another young guy to help Slaton.

Safety: Clean up guy. Solid safety that makes good decisions in coverage. Athletic enough to cover a slot, or TE like Dallas Clark. This is one guy we desperately need. Demps is a good safety, but he has alot of wear and tear on him, and he is our only above-average safety.

Defensive End: Solid all around DE. He doesn't even have to be a speed rusher, just needs to be able to get at the QB. Mario is our sack artist, we just need another solid DE on the other side to take advantage of one on one matchups in both the run and pass game.

Outside Linebacker: Someone who plays well in coverage and can run plays down with speed and power. Diles and Greenwood are below-average to average football players. Adibi is a start to strengthening this group, but we wil need to draft a SAM and another linebacker, perhaps a MLB.

Inside Offensive Line: We're getting pushed back pretty often from strong DTs. I'd like to see us draft a talented run blocking guard or center to add to this young OL.

These are the main positions we need to look at drafting IMO.

Free agents are a different story. You get the guys you can afford and I would look at upgrading every position except possibly WR through FA.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #20
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

OLB and DE
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read