Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Observations from 2nd viewing of Miami Game.

1. Despite Brown's rough game, the only real issue on the oline is Meyers and Briesel. Many plays blew up because Meyers was thrown back 5 yards into the play. Also, Briesel has a tendency to whiff blocks. The two tackles are playing excellent football. Even though Brown and even Winston do get beat occasionally, the rest of the time they are sealing the backside of the play or drive blocking on the playside of run plays.

2. Earl Cochran looked great. Especially on passing downs, they lined up Cochran at tackle next to Mario and he created a lot of havoc. He has a lot of energy on the field and seemed to win most one on one matchups.

3. Barrett mentioned this to me and I was looking for it: Slaton made an incredible block on the long pass to Walter on the winning drive. He first chipped Porter, then when he was clearly blocked, saw the DT from the opposite side of the line come free and he ran and dove into him barely keeping Schaub clean as he threw the pass... Slaton saved the game on that play- it was an amazing play both athletically and awareness.

4. Leach I thought was playing really poorly the first couple games. Man! He's playing great now. There was a 9 yard run by Green when Leach literally sealed off a Miami defender at each of the three levels to give Green the edge. What's most amazing about that play is how Green only got 9 yards.

5. Clearly on the 2nd interception it was a busted route combination. The pass literally arrived as AD and AJ were colliding into each other.

6. We aren't committing any penalties these days! Pretty amazing how clean we are with the exception of turnovers.

7. Demps and Harrison are clearly going to make a lot of plays from the safety position. The two of them combined for at least 6 big plays- though Harrison had some mistakes as well.

8. There was only one misdirection play the whole game. That was the bootleg when Schaub ran into Porter and dumped it towards AJ near the goaline on the first field goal drive. Not a single receiver reverse or another bootleg the entire game... Just seems strange considering we ran the stretch run the entire game. My guess is we'll have some success this Sunday against Detroit with those.

9. I'm probably the biggest Petey fan on these boards... However, he really looked pathetic on a couple tackle attempts. I'm hopeful that Bennett will retake that job. Bennett's best is certainly better than Petey's best.

10. Mario is simply awesome. Though it's funny that almost every single sack of his has come when he's been blocked by a TE or a RB. Amazing to me that that can happen- especially when we haven't played a Mike Martz or Steve Spurrier team yet.

We're a good football team!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Observations from 2nd viewing of Miami Game.

I also would like to add how impressed I was with Tim Bulman. He is probably our 2nd best pass rusher at the moment.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I also would like to add how impressed I was with Tim Bulman. He is probably our 2nd best pass rusher at the moment.

I'm still hoping to see more of Thompson at the DE position on passing downs. Bulman certainly will get there eventually. Also, I think Robinson, Cochran, and Okoye have also done a good job of collapsing the pocket- Okoye and Cochran win their one on one battles on passing downs almost every play. The DL is really coming together. I think these guys will start collecting sacks now.
Old 10-14-2008   #4
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would also add Green ran well in the Miami game. Damn funny thing that fickle finger of fate Slaton was supposed to be the second back coming it to spell Green no vice versa. He has still robbed us blind on the game checks but having him as the scheme finally takes hold is a nice security blanket. When healthy that is!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #5
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
1. Despite Brown's rough game, the only real issue on the oline is Meyers and Briesel. Many plays blew up because Meyers was thrown back 5 yards into the play. Also, Briesel has a tendency to whiff blocks. The two tackles are playing excellent football. Even though Brown and even Winston do get beat occasionally, the rest of the time they are sealing the backside of the play or drive blocking on the playside of run plays.

2. Earl Cochran looked great. Especially on passing downs, they lined up Cochran at tackle next to Mario and he created a lot of havoc. He has a lot of energy on the field and seemed to win most one on one matchups.

3. Barrett mentioned this to me and I was looking for it: Slaton made an incredible block on the long pass to Walter on the winning drive. He first chipped Porter, then when he was clearly blocked, saw the DT from the opposite side of the line come free and he ran and dove into him barely keeping Schaub clean as he threw the pass... Slaton saved the game on that play- it was an amazing play both athletically and awareness.

4. Leach I thought was playing really poorly the first couple games. Man! He's playing great now. There was a 9 yard run by Green when Leach literally sealed off a Miami defender at each of the three levels to give Green the edge. What's most amazing about that play is how Green only got 9 yards.

5. Clearly on the 2nd interception it was a busted route combination. The pass literally arrived as AD and AJ were colliding into each other.

6. We aren't committing any penalties these days! Pretty amazing how clean we are with the exception of turnovers.

7. Demps and Harrison are clearly going to make a lot of plays from the safety position. The two of them combined for at least 6 big plays- though Harrison had some mistakes as well.

8. There was only one misdirection play the whole game. That was the bootleg when Schaub ran into Porter and dumped it towards AJ near the goaline on the first field goal drive. Not a single receiver reverse or another bootleg the entire game... Just seems strange considering we ran the stretch run the entire game. My guess is we'll have some success this Sunday against Detroit with those.

9. I'm probably the biggest Petey fan on these boards... However, he really looked pathetic on a couple tackle attempts. I'm hopeful that Bennett will retake that job. Bennett's best is certainly better than Petey's best.
10. Mario is simply awesome. Though it's funny that almost every single sack of his has come when he's been blocked by a TE or a RB. Amazing to me that that can happen- especially when we haven't played a Mike Martz or Steve Spurrier team yet.

We're a good football team!
Yeah, I remember one play where Faggins was chasing the ballcarrier and just gave him a two handed love tap before giving up. Two hand touch? Really?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bennett had better numbers than D-Rob last year. What IS wrong with Bennett this year? Sophomore slumps? You're not kidding his best is better than Faggins'.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Bennett had better numbers than D-Rob last year. What IS wrong with Bennett this year? Sophomore slumps? You're not kidding his best is better than Faggins'.
His worst is better than Petey's best. I cant believe he staarted last week...
Old 10-15-2008   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
His worst is better than Petey's best. I cant believe he staarted last week...
That's clearly not true. Perhaps it's just a funny quip. But, with all the hatrid that Petey has received on these boards the past few years I can't assume that. Petey was a solid CB for us every season but 2007. He's been playing pretty well this season too.
Old 10-15-2008   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. There was one Miami drive in the fourth quarter where he was literally pressuring Pennington on every pass play. He and Mario did a great job of collapsing the pocket together, they seem to work well in tandem.

Hopefully we see them out there together more often.

Also - regarding Schaub's second interception - he said on the NFL replay that he failed to put AD in motion, which is why the play busted.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 10-15-2008 at 09:02 AM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Great stuff Dale-M, appreciate the time & thought you invested into your elaboration of several key topics from Sundays game.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still amazed Sparano didn't challenge that "incomplete pass" by Schaub. I saw a coach on the sidelines go crazy, but Sparano was very calm.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I'm still amazed Sparano didn't challenge that "incomplete pass" by Schaub. I saw a coach on the sidelines go crazy, but Sparano was very calm.
I'm still amazed that Sparano didn't go for any of the several 4th and shorts he had all day. He has one of the best RB tandems in the NFL and is playing against a team that hasn't stopped a 4th down all season long. He could have put the game out of reach at a number of points in the game, but he played entirely too conservative.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #13
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I was watching the NFL replay last night and I got a good laugh out of Kubiak's eyeroll after Wilson's interception/fumble at the end of the game. His expression was priceless.
Old 10-15-2008   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yep...addition by subtraction of weaver & johnson.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #15
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's clearly not true. Perhaps it's just a funny quip. But, with all the hatrid that Petey has received on these boards the past few years I can't assume that. Petey was a solid CB for us every season but 2007. He's been playing pretty well this season too.
You may be forgetting about 2006 when lee eveans made a name for himself against petey .... Personally I like the guy he is really nice..but he has let us down as a secondary player. Teams look for him on the field and the Texans play hide the petey hoping he doesnt get thrown at.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #16
Polo

Petey isn't that bad...He's just not a starting cornerback....

He'd make an excellent Nickel or Dime back...
Old 10-15-2008   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Old 10-15-2008   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b99e29
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #19
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
You may be forgetting about 2006 when lee eveans made a name for himself against petey .... Personally I like the guy he is really nice..but he has let us down as a secondary player. Teams look for him on the field and the Texans play hide the petey hoping he doesnt get thrown at.
I believe that was the failed coverage over the top on both plays by C.C. Brown. He missed his assignment badly on both of those bombs. But Petey is definantly not nearly fast enough to run man on deep routes.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
Good grief! Because he got beat twice by Lee Evans means he's not any good? Man, that is an old, silly argument that every ignorant Texan fan in the city uses because that's all he's got. Would you like me to list two plays he's made over the course of his career as proof that he's a great cb? I could do it.

Cowboy fans had a similar relationship with JReeves- who was a young nickel CB for them that got pressed into starting duty for them last season and played pretty well. Of course, the fans blamed him for every misstep in the secondary. Now he's gone and they're relying on AHenry and M.Jenkins... They're much worse as a result.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read