Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-14-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The 10 Sports Franchises Most Likely To Move

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
What do the Minnesota Vikings, Buffalo Bills, Florida Marlins, Tampa Bay Rays, New York Islanders and New Orleans Hornets all have in common?

Dreary stadiums they don’t own and stalling businesses eager to rake in more cash. In other words, they’re all ripe for a move. And that means city or state governments around the country can expect them to come calling for help financing a new venue.

Based on franchise valuations, revenue and attendance trends over the past few years, the most stagnant team businesses – those with the greatest likelihoods of hitting the road at some point – are those stuck in outdated arenas and stadiums. While market size drives local sponsorship deals and TV money, souped-up venues that drive revenue through high ticket prices, luxury suites and corporate packages are the order of the day. You don’t have that, you’re not in the game.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #2
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 138 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The 10 Sports Franchises Most Likely To Move

Quote:
New Orleans Hornets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redx.jpg (10.9 KB, 6 views)
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #3
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 31311 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

I would really hope that for a town like Houston - that was robbed of an NFL franchise and had to wait until expansion to have a team represent them - that a thread like this doesn't get much support or traction.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #4
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 53922 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

How can the Tampa Bay Rays have a dreary stadium and be struggling? Aren't they a fairly new franchise?

I wouldn't mind seeing an NHL team move to Houston however not the Islanders.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #5
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 24962 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
I would really hope that for a town like Houston - that was robbed of an NFL franchise and had to wait until expansion to have a team represent them - that a thread like this doesn't get much support or traction.
We embraced the Dynamo pretty easily despite getting the burnsauce from Bud Adams, so don't count on that.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
How can the Tampa Bay Rays have a dreary stadium and be struggling? Aren't they a fairly new franchise?

I wouldn't mind seeing an NHL team move to Houston however not the Islanders.

That stadium in Tampa is horrendous (well except for the little aqurium in right field with the stingrays in it) and they are like 26th in attendance this season - with the great season they've had...

Agree about hockey and the Islanders, tho.. Maybe we could steal the Predators from Nashville

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 10-14-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Agree about hockey and the Islanders, tho..
What's wrong with the Islanders?

I'd love to have hockey in Houston. The only way it happens though is if Les Alexander buys the team. I doubt if anyone else would want to pay him rent to use the Toyota Center for games.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2008   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
What's wrong with the Islanders?

I'd love to have hockey in Houston. The only way it happens though is if Les Alexander buys the team. I doubt if anyone else would want to pay him rent to use the Toyota Center for games.
I've never liked the Islanders (see Pat LaFontaine). I really don't like the Rangers (sorry Hookem) for that matter, but I do love hockey. And you are correct, the only way the NHL team moves to Houston is if Les Alexander owns them because of the lease on the Toyota Center.

I think the Nashville Predators would be fitting in some wayz...
Old 10-14-2008   #9
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

NO NHL! O please no!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
NO NHL! O please no!
We could put them in the Astrodome... just turn the thermostat down to 0.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That stadium in Tampa is horrendous (well except for the little aqurium in right field with the stingrays in it) and they are like 26th in attendance this season - with the great season they've had...
only been around 10 years, have sucked that entire decade, area is filled with transplants from up north who still root for their awful team, economy, stadium is far from Tampa, traffic, etc etc
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #12
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NO NHL! O please no!
What's wrong with the NHL? While living in Dallas, watching the Stars actually became VERY entertaining.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the Stars. And the NHL.

They do very well in Dallas and have for years.

That sport is fun to watch in person...tv not so much.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #14
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I love the Stars. And the NHL.

They do very well in Dallas and have for years.

That sport is fun to watch in person...tv not so much.
I agree. Unless you're a diehard hockey fan, it's just not the same on TV as it is in person.
Old 10-14-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

nhl in person is one of the best sports
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #16
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
What's wrong with the NHL? While living in Dallas, watching the Stars actually became VERY entertaining.
Well if they could play in toyota i wouldnt mind, just not another team wanting a new stadium(talking about Dynamo). I dont know, NHL in Houston just does not seem rite. I dont like the idea, I dont hate hockey just not my sport.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 158250 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I thought the NHL went out of business.

Oh well, I don't care for hockey, but it would be nice if we got a team for those who do like it. I've been to a few Aeros games, and I have to say it is not the same in person as it is on TV. I can change the TV.
Old 10-15-2008   #18
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well if they could play in toyota i wouldnt mind, just not another team wanting a new stadium(talking about Dynamo). I dont know, NHL in Houston just does not seem rite. I dont like the idea, I dont hate hockey just not my sport.
Well, with all the people from the north moving down here, and seeing hockey's popularity in Dallas, it can work in Houston. Also, the Dynamo need a new stadium. Nothing wrong with them asking for it because that's pretty much the reason why they moved. The stadium is going to be chump change compared to Reliant, Toyota, and Minute Maid (as far as price goes).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I agree. Unless you're a diehard hockey fan, it's just not the same on TV as it is in person.
I must be a diehard fan then. I claim the Stars as "my" team, but when I read this article yesterday I started scribbling my first name with other teams' last name. If Houston got an NHL team I'd drop the Stars in a heartbeat.

Quote:
That's it, I'm not inviting you to a game.
Old 10-15-2008   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I must be a diehard fan then. I claim the Stars as "my" team, but when I read this article yesterday I started scribbling my first name with other teams' last name. If Houston got an NHL team I'd drop the Stars in a heartbeat.

That's it, I'm not inviting you to a game.
Same here..... (about the diehard part). But Show, make no mistake, I am NOT a Minnesota North Stars errrrrrrrrr Dallas Stars fan.... Unfortunately, I have no team but am considering adopting someone from the same division as the Rangers - just so I can have some fun with Hookem. It won't be the Islanders, but I am considering the Devils, Flyers or Penguins.....

If Houston got a team (which won't happen) I would adopt them in a second. I still think Nashville coming here would be soooooo fitting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read