Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2008   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do you think Kubiak should be "off the hook" because of Sundays win ?

I certainly don't ! We lost 2 weeks ago because in spite of outplaying the
Colts we made fatal mistakes at the end of the game which cost us what should have been a victory, really a rather easy victory. The same thing happened Sunday. We outplayed our opponent again but made more mistakes than he did, but somehow overcame the mistakes that day thanks in large part to the efforts and talent at the end of the game on a single play by a premiere NFL playmaker.
And have you figured out yet what happened in Pittsburg ? You may say get over it, but lets not pass up the opportunity to learn from our mistakes.
Bob McNair are you listeneing ? I dunno, but how does a coach talk all training camp about his team being playoff caliber then have them so underprepared to play a game like that in the season opener ?
These mistakes are on the coach and his staff. That would be one Mr. Kubiak.
And this isn't Kubiaks rookie season as an NFL coach. He is now in his third year as an NFL HC. And prior to being a HC he was the OC in Denver for years & years. Just how steep is the learning curve for Gary ?
This situation reminds me of "The Peter Principle", and makes me wonder if Kubiak wasn't right at the margin in his job with the Broncos ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you think Kubiak should be "off the hook" because of Sundays win ?

i dont have kubiak on the hotseat to begin with.
Old 10-14-2008   #3
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you think Kubiak should be "off the hook" because of Sundays win ?

No more than I think he should have been "on the hook" before the game.

That probably doesn't make sense, but let me see if I can explain how I feel about this better. Bear with me, as I am only on my second cup of coffee. Also, I am not attacking the OP on this, the post just hit a sore spot wrong this morning.

It is amazing to me how knee jerk some of us are (as I have my knee jerk reaction to this post). I understand how impatient some have become to make the playoffs and become relevant as a football team, and believe me, I would love to have my team kick butt every Sunday.

Nothing is going to happen with Kubiak's job this season, so we need to give the season a chance to play out before calling for his head or heaping praises on him for a win. Think about what the Giants fans were saying at this point last season. And after last night's stinker, their fans are calling for Eli to be traded or benched for Carr. LOL. Sometimes, I wish posters here would spend a second thinking about what a visiting fan would see when they read our posts before posting.

What I have seen this season is steady improvement. Granted, the Pittsburgh game was a total stinker. But good things happened in the other games and we did what I did not expect us to be able to pull out - a TD drive with under 2 min left in the game. Was it ugly, yes!!! But it worked. So, I for one, plan on being patient and seeing how the season developes as a whole before calling for anyone's head or before canonizing anyone.
Old 10-14-2008   #4
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
What I have seen this season is steady improvement. Granted, the Pittsburgh game was a total stinker. But good things happened in the other games and we did what I did not expect us to be able to pull out - a TD drive with under 2 min left in the game. Was it ugly, yes!!! But it worked. So, I for one, plan on being patient and seeing how the season developes as a whole before calling for anyone's head or before canonizing anyone.
Well, I agree but this is where we should have been 5 years ago, not today. And it is where we were last year and we should be past this stage by now.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #5
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
We outplayed our opponent again but made more mistakes than he did, but somehow overcame the mistakes that day thanks in large part to the efforts and talent at the end of the game on a single play by a premiere NFL playmaker.
I assume you are talking about AJ and not MS?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Kubiak is not even close to the hook yet. The way I see it he took over a team in shambles, with so many wrongs that I personally am amazed that we are already, after 2 years, able to be competetive in alot of our games. What Kubiak needs is experience as a HC, and that may take many years. Personally I'll rather have him gain his experience with us than going out to get another coach who 'brings his own system and player preferences'. I believe that consistancy in an organization is of utmost importance, and that 'changing horses' too often will ultimately be detrimental to a team, something that especially European soccer-teams seem oblivious to.
Old 10-14-2008   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

from kubiak's signing to sunday we've replaced 19 of our 22 starters. we've had far and away our best drafts of our franchise, hell outside of pitts, AJ, and dunta we've had our ONLY drafts (we're only carrying over 8 players from the previous team). we're currently the 5th ranked offense (wait, that's not possible, we've played three of the top 10 defenses already!). we have two probowlers on defense that top out at 24 years old. we've turned over 90% of the roster in the last 2.3 years, while dumping salaries in the tens of millions. we're at the bottom of the league in penalties. holy crap, if you give that guy 2 more seasons he might build us one heck of a team ... fire the bastard before he gives houston fans hope!!!!

raise hell on the defensive playcalling. ***** about time management. pick out playcalls that were wrong from the get-go (naked boot towards porter - horrid call). kubiak doesnt call slant 84 rosencopter. he doesnt confuse routes to send a crossing pattern of receivers into eachother's laps. he damn sure doesnt run onto the field to block for our rookie. he plays the game and the damndest thing is our young'ns have stepped up because they've been coached extremely well ... it's fluke that the vets are actually the ones who have turned what could be a winning season to this point into an exceptionally slow start (your premiere player fumbling at the 7 yard line?).

if that's your post, see if al davis is interested in buying the texans, we could have a new coach every 3 weeks.

i'm drinking and will take the negative rep, i dont want to be a team that folds every 2 seasons, especially with the progress we've made.

see sig lol

Last edited by Scooter; 10-14-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2008   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not recall any team in the NFL being perfect for 60 minutes this past weekend.

Kubiak is still in development, as his staff. We found a way to win last week against the team that beat both AFC Championship participants in successive weeks.

I would say he is off the hook with another must win game this week.
Old 10-14-2008   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

No one should be "off the hook" from Sundays game. From Kubiak to the players to the assistant coaches. It's a step in the right direction, certainly, but enough to secure jobs? No.
Old 10-14-2008   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm drinking and will take the negative rep, i dont want to be a team that folds every 2 seasons, especially with the progress we've made.

see sig lol
In Denmark we have a saying that you'll hear the truth from children and drunk people.

Keep it coming!
Old 10-14-2008   #11
Scooter
Funky

edit

Last edited by Scooter; 10-14-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
I assume you are talking about AJ and not MS?
Absolutely I was referring to AJ.
OK, be honest with yourselfs everyone and ask yourself this question ?
The Texans end up with a record like 3-13 or 4-12 this year. Then you totally block out from your thought-process that Kubiak is a local who also played HS & college ball in the area, but instead is from a different region of the country.
Better yet, pretend that McNair hired Cam Cameron, an assistant at the time with the Chargers, 'back in 2006 and not Kubiak because as I recall he actually interviewed Cameron back then before he offered the job to Kubiak ?
So in that scenario I ask you, would you fire Coach Cameron ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #13
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you saying that because of this one win... if he loses 10 in a row its going to save him or something?? See how it doesnt really make sense right now? But this one win does save the long term blue print we are working on for now which is yet to be completed not to mention we have one of the youngest teams in the league. Too much ball to be played.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #14
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans end up with a record like 3-13 or 4-12 this year. Then you totally block out from your thought-process that Kubiak is a local who also played HS & college ball in the area, but instead is from a different region of the country.
Better yet, pretend that McNair hired Cam Cameron, an assistant at the time with the Chargers, 'back in 2006 and not Kubiak because as I recall he actually interviewed Cameron back then before he offered the job to Kubiak ?
If we end up with a 3-13 or 4-12 record, I will agree with you that Kubiak's job performance needs to be reviewed.

Now, do the reverse and be honest yourself. If we turn it around and end up 9-7 or 10-6, will you support Kubiak?

I am trying to point out that what ifs are premature at this point.
Old 10-14-2008   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You are presuming that the arguments presented here are based on local support? I'm not from Houston, Texas or even the USA. If we indeed end up with a 3-13 or 4-12 season, then I'll try to analyze the reason for this and state my suggestion for changes at that time. If that involves ruffin' up Kubiak, then that's what will happen.
Old 10-14-2008   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
No one should be "off the hook" from Sundays game. From Kubiak to the players to the assistant coaches. It's a step in the right direction, certainly, but enough to secure jobs? No.
I agree. KT said, no one is perfect..agreed...BUT they keep making the same mistakes and turnovers and at some point, if it continues, you have to wonder where the coaching is coming from. In the NFL these days I think you are always on the hot seat.
Old 10-14-2008   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Personally I'll rather have him gain his experience with us than going out to get another coach who 'brings his own system and player preferences'. I believe that consistancy in an organization is of utmost importance, and that 'changing horses' too often will ultimately be detrimental to a team, something that especially European soccer-teams seem oblivious to.
True. We only need to look at our next opponent to see how that has worked for them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
no truer words have been spoken. definitely a step in the right direction amidst much adversity (the early picks, the wilson fumble, the aj fumble, etc.) and that counts for something in my book. its all about winning. winning cures everything. keep winning and competing and everyone keeps their job.
Old 10-14-2008   #19
Scooter
Funky

what hook? what coach are you going to bring in that will do more in the same direction? who's going to draft better and produce? we have bookends, a runningback, a full receiving core, a loathed but solid pair of quarterbacks, a stud fullback, THE premiere defensive end, the future MLB, a complimentary OLB, depth at every position, and if given time quite possibly the next load of a DT paired with the youngest slasher DT. who do you bring in to build that? who coaches that offense better?

fire kubiak, put him on the hot seat, set the hook. who's on your mind? surely folks arent firing off statements like that without foresight.
Old 10-14-2008   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he's in danger of being fired.

Next year yea if they do poorly.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read