Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2004   #1
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default So..... keep Chris Palmer, the coaches, the team...

Those that called for particular heads in the recent past - has your frame of mind changed?

Granted, this was just one game... and to sweep ANOTHER division rival while shutting them out.. but just wondering if there's a change of heart now.

I saw more various play calling (probably because quite a few of them worked this time)... so is that Palmer and the players now stepping up? Granted, I still think the O-line can be improved as far as protection is concerned... the run block looked good today.

Defense WHUPPED... so nothing to say there - got some pressure, some sacks, some ints...

Personally, I was not one to call for a particular person (group) to be removed.. but still feel we could use some improvement on the line.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive called for Palmers head this year, and I think im starting to come around to him. Now that ive learned to respect what they are trying to do with the Texans, instead of trying to say what I think they should do.. I appreciate his playcalling more.

We need to fix our Oline... and we could do with an improved pass rush, mostly we need a playmaker in our front 7 that we can depend on to come in EVERY WEEK and generate some kind of pass rush for us.

Other than that.. im happy with everything
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #3
Rovator
Veteran

Default .

Defense has played great the past 2 weeks, but there's still lots of room for improvement on offense.
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Fix the Oline and it will come together. The players I think are there, they are at times executing now on the run blocking but their pass blocking is still abysmal. Carr almost never gets the time he needs to get the job done.

Priority number one IMO is get a real center. Wade will get it together, Weigert will return, Pitts will continue to improve, and you've got a whole season already spent developing Wand who I think will also continue to improve. McKinney will never, ever be any better than he is right now and that's lousy.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #5
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
Now that ive learned to respect what they are trying to do with the Texans, instead of trying to say what I think they should do.. I appreciate his playcalling more.
glad to see the number of positive texan fans is growing everyday

Quote:
and you've got a whole season already spent developing Wand who I think will also continue to improve. McKinney will never, ever be any better than he is right now and that's lousy.
agreed, i saw wand getting to the second and third levels on a beautiful double team with pitts on DD's 44 yarder. nice to see the big guy with a lisp look aggressive and execute, lets hope he's finding some fire in his gentle giant demeanor. now onto steve, ive been watching him in the last few games specifically, and after today im officially for looking forward to a replacement at the heart of our line. overall mckinney played well enough for us to win but on one of the 4 sacks he just let stroud run right around him to drop carr. but on a lighter note...............

FIRST SHUTOUT EVER, SWEEPING THE JAGS, AND BEATING OUR BIGGEST DIVISION "RIVAL" ALL IN ONE DAY!!

Last edited by jr0ck; 12-26-2004 at 04:02 PM. Reason: i underachieve....when it comes to grammar/spelling
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #6
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

You can just feel the group hugs... but I agree on points made. I'm thinking center, and some TE's this offseason for an offensive wish list.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #7
Harry Biped
Rookie

Today's win was great, but it was a result of the Texans best defensive effort in franchise history. Offense did their part, for the most part, but their performance still leaves something to be desired. One game does not make a franchise and the Texans have to build a much more cohesive offensive philosophy before the team will experience any true degree of success. The problems with the O-line are in large part, a failure of the philosophy(bad schemes), not necessarily the personnel. They are also still making too many elementary mistakes. They were just lucky that the Jags did not do a great job capitalizing on them today. IMHO, Palmer still needs to be sent packing. Any average OC would have been able to produce the offensive results that the Texans had today, because the talent is there. Taking a look at the big picture, the coaching is still a detriment, even if it wasn't today.
Harry Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2004   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

O-line was just barely fair today. OK running, but less than OK on pass.
Defense was STRONG. Amazing what a little presure can do isn't it?
Play calling for the most part was very predictable and pedestrian. Very lttle play action and DD was ripping them so they would have bit. Should have been a no brainer, particularly on 1st down in the second half.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #9
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Play calling for the most part was very predictable and pedestrian. Very lttle play action and DD was ripping them so they would have bit. Should have been a no brainer, particularly on 1st down in the second half.
i agree, i knew what play was coming. on the two downs before the andre td (need to do that more in the red zone) we were on the 11 and on two straight plays we were in a goal line formation. it seems that some times we are just glad to get into the red zone. i left the espn zone after a few minutes in the second half so i can't comment on the play calling really, but i bet is was much like that of the Green Bay, but this time our defense played a great game, maybe someone can tell me.
Old 12-26-2004   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Biped
Today's win was great, but it was a result of the Texans best defensive effort in franchise history. Offense did their part, for the most part, but their performance still leaves something to be desired. One game does not make a franchise and the Texans have to build a much more cohesive offensive philosophy before the team will experience any true degree of success. The problems with the O-line are in large part, a failure of the philosophy(bad schemes), not necessarily the personnel. They are also still making too many elementary mistakes. They were just lucky that the Jags did not do a great job capitalizing on them today. IMHO, Palmer still needs to be sent packing. Any average OC would have been able to produce the offensive results that the Texans had today, because the talent is there. Taking a look at the big picture, the coaching is still a detriment, even if it wasn't today.
you could substitute the defense with the offense in that quote..and Fangio with the Palmer

Quote:
The Texans, meanwhile, moved the ball with ease. They finished with 333 yards, much of it thanks to Davis. His previous career high was 129 yards, set last season against the New York Jets and tied last month against Tennessee.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_y...226030&prov=ap
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #11
Harry Biped
Rookie

All I can say is that after almost 3 full seasons, we're still waiting on the Texans offense to be productive for an entire game. They haven't done that once in their 3 years under Palmer and they scored only twice today. The defense put up half as many points as the offense did. That is truly pathetic. The offense also put the defense in some tough spots today, but fortunately they were able to work thru it. The defense has come thru many many times over the past 3 seasons and today's win belongs to the defense. The offense did just enough to give the defense some room to work, but it wasn't because of the play calling that's for darn sure. Talent is the only thing that the Texans offense has going for it and until they dump Palmer, that will likely always be the case. As I stated early, any average OC can generate that much scoring with the talent that the Texans offense puts on the field. We need an above average coaching staff if we expect to win. We certainly don't have that right now on offense, instead we have the below average Chris Palmer running our team into the ground. I'm starting to think that Wolf must be either related to Chris Palmer or is Chris Palmer himself, because even after 3 pathetic offensive seasons he still defends him for no logical reason.
Old 12-26-2004   #12
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

im still calling for the guys head. this was a great win, but this wasnt a remedy for the year hes called. i still dont agree with not mixing in the pass in the second half. the guy has no confidence in his pass attack. we won looking good, but does anyone else think the jags werent right today? they had no fred taylor and after leftwitch got robaired he wasnt the same player. lots of things went the texans way this game, his playcalling is still bad, its just that today the run game made him look good.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont expect us to ever NOT be predictable. If you have ever watched a Steelers or Dolphins game.. they ARE predictable. it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the O coordinator.. it is just the way they play the game. I dont think anyone can deny it has been successful for them.

Personally I like it.. we dont DEPEND on being tricky or having finesse.. it is smashmouth football, focused on wearing down the defense, and performing your basic bread and butter plays to perfection.

When we get it running right, we could be really really good.. especially with our QB and WR corps. If we get a running game to go with it.. look out.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Dont expect us to ever NOT be predictable. If you have ever watched a Steelers or Dolphins game.. they ARE predictable. it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the O coordinator.. it is just the way they play the game. I dont think anyone can deny it has been successful for them.
There will be some who don't like smashmouth football. They think that type of football is boring, along with being predictable. Running the football down the other teams' throats, backed up by a shutdown defense is Capers style. He strongly believes in it, and it's been proven that it works. Yesterday's game against the Jags, along with the Steelers successful season, vindicates his philosophy. He knows that it is sound. If Capers has a fault, it could be that he needs to do a better job of selling it to the fans, and asking them for more patience while constructing a team that fits that philosophy.

But I think I know who Capers is rooting for to win the Super Bowl in January.

Quote:
I dont think anyone can deny it has been successful for them.
Successful or not, there are some fans that simply don't want their hometown football team to be run that way, even though it will be hard for them to publicly admit it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a successfull plan. However, it may not fit the team you have to work with very well. Just don't seem to be playing to the strengths of the personell, but are trying to play to a CONCEPT. As personell change it will work better, but in the mean time, play to your strengths.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #16
Harry Biped
Rookie

The simple fact of the matter is that teams that don't have an effective balanced offensive attack don't win championships in the NFL these days. The Texans are a long way from that and that is why we are still losing at least half of our games every year. The coaching is a detriment and has been from day one in that regard. Yes we need to be able to play smash-mouth football to control the game, but in the NFL you also have to be able to play from behind to win and you can't do that with smash-mouth football.
Old 12-27-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The coaching is fine. Everyone wants an overnight contender. We are on the right course.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #18
Harry Biped
Rookie

It's been 3 years and the Texans haven't had to deal with salary cap issues. They have more than enough talent to get them to the playoffs THIS YEAR. They didn't get there BECAUSE of coaching. From day one, this organization has decided that it is better to look good than to be good, and we season ticket holders who have invested thousands of dollars in this team are left with hardly anything to show for our investment. A good team can be built in 3 seasons, just not with bad coaching. Pittsburgh, San Diego, and the Jets are 3 teams that have a comparable level of talent and better coaching, and that is why they are winning and we are not.
Old 12-27-2004   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Biped
They didn't get there BECAUSE of coaching.
That is one possible explanation. Another is that they went 0-2 to begin the season due to 7 turnovers having nothing to do with the coaching.
Old 12-27-2004   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

What we saw yesterday is Capers perfect blueprint. Heck, he said it himself - "What we saw out there was certainly what I envision our football team being, being able to run the football and play great defense. I believe in it, and I know that it works." - Dom Capers

Now, it can certainly be argued that the personell is not really suited for that style of play as of yet. It can be argued that it is a bit boring and predicatable at times too. But, the Steelers are proving it CAN be a winning formula if everything falls into place.

Having said that, I just don't agree with trying to jam round pegs into square holes. A win is a win is a win, and yesterday was great. But is this philosphy going to take us to the promised land? The jury is still way out on that one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read