Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2008   #41
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How bout some love for Richard Smith?

All that pressure and all those good things still results in big plays resulting in TDs and 28 points given up.

I consider it their Offense beat themselves as opposed to us beating them. We had no answer for the Wildcat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Yeah...That's the reason for our record...

You got me.
Well, 5th in overall offense and 23rd in overall defense lends itself to a 1-4 start.
Old 10-13-2008   #43
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Well, 5th in overall offense and 23rd in overall defense lends itself to a 1-4 start.
Still a very simplistic view of looking at things but since you said "lends" I can dig it. Still doesn't equate to Richard Smith being the main cause of our defensive troubles.
Old 10-13-2008   #44
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

If Mario makes that tackle, we have to burn a timeout, and stop them the next play, burn a timeout, and hope they miss a field goal, if they make it, we have to drive down the field without timeouts to get into Kris Browns field goal range, Although, we'd only have to make it to the 40 yard line minimum
Old 10-13-2008   #45
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of the Red Zone TD's from yesterday was from a missed tackle by Mario...

He came in untouched (some may say this implicates a good defensive call)...

How many missed tackles can Smith take the credit for ?

When players do something positive should we give Smith the credit too ?

I guess it's just easier to pin the negatives on him though...Nevermind the specifics of 'how they got there', we just know that they are there...
guys tackled pretty well sunday. its the nfl, the offensive player is going to win most 1 on 1 battles.

i think guys mainly dont like his philosiphy. its more of a base defensive that doesnt bring a lot of blitzes. the cowboys played a 4-3 and didnt give the d-line much help back in the 90's. it worked for them but they were getting pressure from the front 4. we only get pressure from 1 guy. we dont really have the tools to get the pressure we need with our d-line. so im thinkin we need to work with what we got and change our philosiphy a bit. maybe im wrong but i would rather put presure on qb's and make teams make mistakes. thats the way most of the recent good defenses seem to get things done.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #46
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many defenses are designed by the scheme and not the players ?

Not many...
I respectfully disagree.

- There's the many different flavors of the "Tampa Two"... that's a designed scheme that you draft players to fit.

- There's the back alley defense that Tennessee employs where the intent is to intimidate and bully. That's a purposeful attitude that you coach into the players and you seek out players that naturally have that attitude. Chicago used to play it but they've lost their edge. Jacksonville tries to play it too probably because they're coached by an ex-LB. When's the last time we saw a Texan defender execute a de-cleater on a RB or punish a WR after a catch. Oh noooo, we're much to polite.

- There's the swarm to the ball defense that the Colts and Cowboys try to play a defense that relies on team speed. Again, you formulate a scheme and bring in guys that fit it.

I mean, Kubiak did just that for the offense and right now its in the top ten in the NFL. Our defense is giving up 31.6 pt/game

and yeah, I know this is a "chicken & egg" argument with no definitive answer but what the hey... I believe you formulate a solid scheme and bring in guys that fit it.
You can't wait until you draft 11 pro-bowlers and hope good things happen.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 10-13-2008 at 04:27 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. I love that Richard Smith's defense was so bad that it allowed Miami to score a TD at the end of the game using only 5 plays and 1:19 off the clock.

Impressive!!!!

Yup, if you just take all the big plays made by the Dolphins out of the game, the defense played really well.
Old 10-13-2008   #48
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 64840 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yes. I love that Richard Smith's defense was so bad that it allowed Miami to score a TD at the end of the game using only 5 plays and 1:19 off the clock.

Impressive!!!!

Yup, if you just take all the big plays made by the Dolphins out of the game, the defense played really well.

There were a few breakdowns. However, at least the defense is making things happen. They made plays yesterday to end drives and did the same thing against Indy. I can live with some mistakes by guys like Harrison, who are very inexperienced but show some playmaking abilities and opportunity to make the Defense better.

If our offense gets 13-14 posessions per game, we are going to win a lot of games. So, if the defense can force a lot of 3 and outs and/or turnovers, even if it surrenders points, we'll outscore most of the teams we play.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #49
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

You know something deep inside me tells me that if we break even this year or go a game over 500 that it will be justified to keep Smith are the DC by Kubes
Old 10-13-2008   #50
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I'm not jumping on this one until Dick Smith gets fired.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #51
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
guys tackled pretty well sunday. its the nfl, the offensive player is going to win most 1 on 1 battles.

i think guys mainly dont like his philosiphy. its more of a base defensive that doesnt bring a lot of blitzes. the cowboys played a 4-3 and didnt give the d-line much help back in the 90's. it worked for them but they were getting pressure from the front 4. we only get pressure from 1 guy. we dont really have the tools to get the pressure we need with our d-line. so im thinkin we need to work with what we got and change our philosiphy a bit. maybe im wrong but i would rather put presure on qb's and make teams make mistakes. thats the way most of the recent good defenses seem to get things done.
Demeco Ryans disagrees.

His exact words were: "we don't have the personnel to blitz that often" (well maybe not exact, but it was something along those lines)

Last edited by Polo; 10-14-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2008   #52
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Impressive!!!!

Nevermind the fact that the Texans had stopped them only to have Wilson fumble the ball...

What was Smith thinking...
Old 10-14-2008   #53
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I respectfully disagree.

- There's the many different flavors of the "Tampa Two"... that's a designed scheme that you draft players to fit.
I said "most defenses" not all. And please point out the "many" successful versions of the Tampa 2 that are not defined by the players...Meaning they continuosly have good defenses despite the players that play in them....Please point out all of these tampa 2 teams with this great success...

There are only a handful of co-ordinators in the leauge that constantly have good defenses despite their players...

Quote:
When's the last time we saw a Texan defender execute a de-cleater on a RB or punish a WR after a catch. Oh noooo, we're much to polite.
Don't see what that has to do with scheme...

Quote:
- There's the swarm to the ball defense that the Colts and Cowboys try to play a defense that relies on team speed. Again, you formulate a scheme and bring in guys that fit it.
Too bad the Cowboys defense isn't playing all that well, and the Colts defense sucks without Sanders....colts defense is also ranked just about where we are right now....

Swarm to the ball isn't scheme anyways...

Quote:
You can't wait until you draft 11 pro-bowlers and hope good things happen

11 pro-bowlers ?

We've only had one..

And by no means am I saying that Smith is a great defensive mind being held back by his talent. I'm just saying that I think he takes more heat than he deserves at times.

Last edited by Polo; 10-14-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2008   #54
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105274 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I said "most defenses" not all. And please point out the "many" successful versions of the Tampa 2 that are not defined by the players...Meaning they continuosly have good defenses despite the players that play in them....Please point out all of these tampa 2 teams with this great success....

Don't see what that has to do with scheme...

Too bad the Cowboys defense isn't playing all that well, and the Colts defense sucks without Sanders....colts defense is also ranked just about where we are right now....

Swarm to the ball isn't scheme anyways...

11 pro-bowlers ?

We've only had one..

And by no means am I saying that Smith is a great defensive mind being held back by his talent. I'm just saying that I think he takes more heat than he deserves at times.
he should when you're dropping your best pass rusher back in coverage despite not being able to pressure the passer effectively with that guy on the d-line most other plays. Or...when there's a 3rd & 5 & you've got your CB's off the WR's 5-7 yds. Or.... when you do blitz, it's in the most obvious of situations.... Or.. when you've got a fast d-lineman holding up O-lineman instead of letting him do what he's does best in using his speed to rush the passer. The dude doesn't give his team an edge in anything.

To sum it up, we're still ranked among the bottom in nearly every major defensive statistical category & i'm sorry, you can't blame that all on missed tackles. IMO, We've played "better" b/c of some addition by subtraction amongst our personnel in the secondary & along the d-line & home cooking. Richard Smith i'm sure had something to do with that but he might've only did that b/c he started feeling his seat getting warmer.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #55
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will hold my kudos for Smith until I see if Ryan Fitzpatrick's torches our D in a couple of weeks........again.
Old 10-14-2008   #56
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I will hold my kudos for Smith until I see if Ryan Fitzpatrick's torches our D in a couple of weeks........again.
We have Olavfrgdhfhjdsky this Sunday. I reckon he'll have a stellar outing this weekend.
Old 10-14-2008   #57
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
he should when you're dropping your best pass rusher back in coverage despite not being able to pressure the passer effectively with that guy on the d-line most other plays. Or...when there's a 3rd & 5 & you've got your CB's off the WR's 5-7 yds. Or.... when you do blitz, it's in the most obvious of situations.... Or.. when you've got a fast d-lineman holding up O-lineman instead of letting him do what he's does best in using his speed to rush the passer. The dude doesn't give his team an edge in anything.
IMHO, I just think you're analysis is wrong....Especially re: the DT's...

You don't have one DT penetrate while the rest of the line is playing gaps...That's a sure way to create a huge hole...Besides that, D-lines that play a penetrating style vs. a gap responsibility style normally give up a lot of big running plays because if they guess the wrong gap the Offensive linemans job is pretty much done for him...Even if they guess the right gap all the lineman has to do is use their momentum and push them past the hole...One DT playing a penetrating style would be ugly...And just because Okoye is not called a 'two gapper' doesn't mean he isn't actually responsible for two gaps...

As far as the rest of the defensive calls (dropping Mario and Weaver into coverage), I'll just chalk it up to who knows...Personally I don't have a problem with it, but I can see why some do....

Quote:
To sum it up, we're still ranked among the bottom in nearly every major defensive statistical category & i'm sorry, you can't blame that all on missed tackles. IMO, We've played "better" b/c of some addition by subtraction amongst our personnel in the secondary & along the d-line & home cooking. Richard Smith i'm sure had something to do with that but he might've only did that b/c he started feeling his seat getting warmer.
Not blaming it all on missed tackles...Not sure why you have to go to extremes...I clearly said that I don't think Richard Smith is a talented co-ordinator who's personnel is failing him...YOU even highlighted thae sentence after that...I've said several times that I think the bad defense is a combination of multiple things and not all of them have to do with the defense itself...Offense has put them in some pretty terrible situations throughout the year...
Old 10-14-2008   #58
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Hey, this guy's been on the hotseat for a long time now, and probably for good reason.

But the game versus Miami I noticed some good things: constant pressure, blitzes, stopping the run (mostly).

How bout we suck it up and give him even a little credit for this game?
Not going to happen. They still do far too many inexplicable things on that side of the ball and giving up 38, 31, 30, 31, and finally 28 points isn't the fast track to earning some props in my book. I'm not giving the guy a gold star because he finally managed to keep an opponent under 30 points.

Year in and year out Richard Smith coaches the 24th ranked defense. He's sitting right there at 23 today in yards per game, 30th in points allowed.

Make some progress for once in your life Dick and we'll talk about some appreciation.
Old 10-14-2008   #59
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 101731 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was going to be a joke thread. The guy still bugs me. As many have said when your D gives up 30 points a game its hard to give him credit. If he wants credit he should apply for an American Express card.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #60
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
They still do far too many inexplicable things on that side of the ball and giving up 38, 31, 30, 31, and finally 28 points isn't the fast track to earning some props in my book.
Here are some numbers: 3,3,0, 3, 4

We are minus 8 in the turnover category and our defense is virtually in a tie for ninth place in turnovers caused....That's top ten...That means that our offense has been giving the ball away at an alarming rate...We have 13 turnovers in 5 games and one game we didn't turn it over at all...that's terrible...We're basically top ten for turnovers caused and top ten for turnovers given away...

Nevermind how many times the offense has sent a tired defense onto the field after turning it over, or how many short fields we've had to play on...Nevermind the fact that when we do have turnovers offense has struggled to capatalize...Like in Pittsburg when we had a chance to gain a little momentum...Mario crushes Ben, Demeco runs the fumble down inside the redzone...Offense comes away with a field goal...

Turn the ball over less and I guarantee the defense looks a whole lot better...Capatalize on the turnovers our D causes and I guarantee the whole team looks better...

Last edited by Polo; 10-14-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read