Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2008   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How bout some love for Richard Smith?

Love for Richard Smith? Lol! I might as well go up and give a bunch of love to Casserly or thank David Carr for so many great memories while I'm at it. Lol!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #22
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The defense can't stop anybody when it counts. We are/or where the worst team in the NFL in redzone defense. Is that all on the players? No, I don't think so.

One of the Red Zone TD's from yesterday was from a missed tackle by Mario...

He came in untouched (some may say this implicates a good defensive call)...

How many missed tackles can Smith take the credit for ?

When players do something positive should we give Smith the credit too ?

I guess it's just easier to pin the negatives on him though...Nevermind the specifics of 'how they got there', we just know that they are there...
Old 10-13-2008   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
How bout no , First time all year they held someone under 30 and it was a crappy Fish offense that has to rely on gimicks .... AND they gave up two huge plays to a no name reciever , guy had 50ish NFL recieving yards coming into the game and got almost three times that on two plays.
Yes, the defense gave up some big plays and certainly wasn't great against a mediocre offense.

However, here are some stats to be excited about:

vs. Miami: 8 Miami drives ended in punt or interception after netting less than 20 yards.... Miami officially had 14 drives and scored on 4 of them- that's pretty good.

vs. Indy/Miami: 3rd conversions for the 2 games = 5 of 22

vs. Indy/Miami: rushing yards allowed = 175 combined for the 2 games.

That's a lot to be happy about. Of course 80 yard screen passes suck and shouldn't be allowed. we are a long ways from a great defense but I think we're going to be pretty good going forward. A pretty good defense and a top 5 offense can get a lot accomplished by the way.

P.S. I'm still not a believer in Richard Smith. But, let's see what happens the next 3 months
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #24
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Some teams have defenses that conjure up some sort of identity...

When you think Texans defense you think.............
Old 10-13-2008   #25
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Some teams have defenses that conjure up some sort of identity...

When you think Texans defense you think.............
How many defenses are designed by the scheme and not the players ?

Not many...
Old 10-13-2008   #26
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario and Demeco make the man APPEAR acceptable! They alone carry his ass, and keep it from going up in flames!! JMHO
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #27
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Because the offense was brilliant and masteful in their execution all game long....

Nevermind the three turnovers...
1st Turnover -

1st Half, 1st Quarter

1st-10, MIA45 12:35 A. Ayodele intercepted M. Schaub for 12 yards

Miami - 12:35
1st-10, MIA46 12:35 R. Brown rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, MIA49 11:56 C. Pennington passed to D. Martin to the left for 6 yard gain
3rd-1, HOU45 11:21 C. Pennington incomplete pass down the middle
4th-1, HOU45 11:06 B. Fields punt, no return

2nd Turnover -

3rd-3, MIA48 6:59 A. Goodman intercepted M. Schaub for no gain

Miami - 6:59
1st-10, MIA45 6:59 R. Williams rushed to the right for 2 yard gain
2nd-8, MIA47 6:08 C. Pennington passed to P. Cobbs down the middle for 53 yard touchdown. D. Carpenter made PAT

3rd Turnover -

1st Half, 2nd Quarter

1st-10, MIA24 0:56 M. Schaub passed to A. Johnson to the right for 17 yard gain. A. Johnson fumbled. Y. Bell recovered fumble

Miami - 0:55
1st-10, MIA20 0:55 HOU committed 5 yard penalty
1st-5, MIA25 0:27 R. Brown rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

So on the 3 turnovers -

1 stop, gave up 1 TD, and got lucky on the 3rd TO because the half was over.

What the defense do to help the offense? 2 sacks (both by Mario with no help from the rest of his compadres on the DL) and 1 INT, which was fumbled back to Miami.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2008   #28
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he'll be looking for another job next season...with another team.

Or maybe another profession.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #29
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
1st Turnover -

What the defense do to help the offense? 2 sacks (both by Mario with no help from the rest of his compadres on the DL) and 1 INT, which was fumbled back to Miami.
Miami had 8 drives, not counting the drive right before half and at the end of the game, where they totalled 6 plays or less and less than 20 yards- 7 resulted in punts and one in an interception.

so, to the question of what the defense did for the offense, it got the ball back to them quickly and in good field position and gave them 14 posessions instead of the typical 9 or 10.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of the Red Zone TD's from yesterday was from a missed tackle by Mario...

He came in untouched (some may say this implicates a good defensive call)...

How many missed tackles can Smith take the credit for ?

When players do something positive should we give Smith the credit too ?

I guess it's just easier to pin the negatives on him though...Nevermind the specifics of 'how they got there', we just know that they are there...
I suppose you'd find an excuse for every redzone failure to cover up for Smith, so I won't bother with it anymore. Like I said, I'll side with players that have actually gone up against our defense over you. No offense.
Old 10-13-2008   #31
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post

Out of 13 possesions the defense made the Dolphins punt or turn it over 8 times...

Don't forget that the offense didn't score one of those Touch-Downs...
And don't forget one of the Dolphins four TD's came after the defense had virtually stopped the Dolphins only to have Wilson fumble the ball...

In fact, I'm more inclined to give the Jacoby Jones TD to the defense for making the offense punt...

In the first half the Offense put the ball in the endzone a grand total of 0 times...

Last edited by Polo; 10-13-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2008   #32
Polo

Quote:
I suppose you'd find an excuse for every redzone failure to cover up for Smith, so I won't bother with it anymore. Like I said, I'll side with players that have actually gone up against our defense over you. No offense.

Not finding excuses...I just find you guys' decision making process regarding this matter flawed...

I like how you dodged the issue of miss tackles though...

Vanilla doesn't necessarily = bad.

Last edited by Polo; 10-13-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2008   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vanilla = 1-4
Old 10-13-2008   #34
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Vanilla = 1-4
Yeah...That's the reason for our record...

You got me.
Old 10-13-2008   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can win a game 14-3 14-7 then I'll be happy with the defense. If the players are bad, they aren't getting coached well enough. If the scheme isn't fitting the players skills, then that's a coach problem.

No love from here.
Old 10-13-2008   #36
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Love for doing a partially good job for the first time in 2 years?No thanks.
Old 10-13-2008   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Finally we hold a team under 30 & presto we win.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not finding excuses...I just find you guys' decision making process regarding this matter flawed...

I like how you dodged the issue of miss tackles though...

What's the purpose? Would you actually admit it if you were wrong? I don't think so.
Old 10-13-2008   #39
Polo

Quote:
What's the purpose? Would you actually admit it if you were wrong? I don't think so.
I've done it plenty times before...Not sure why this situation would be any different..

If you truly had a case, I would hope your being weary of me not admitting I'm wrong would not stand in the way of you presenting your argument...

Really I've yet to see much actual discussion about Smith and our defense..especially in this thread...

Most comments regarding the defense that I've read don't have much substance to them nor do they correlate to the actual on field performance...But that's JMO of course...

Last edited by Polo; 10-13-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2008   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
This was a classic "if you throw out" effort by the D. If you throw out the two big plays and assume that Eugene Wilson doesn't fumble the late pick, this was an outstanding effort by the D. Total yards allowed on 2 plays plus the "reprieve" drive: 206. Yards allowed in the Dolphins' other 10 possessions: 166. I believe half of their first downs came on those 3 series/plays. Sounds good, right?

But the problem is that you cannot "throw out" the bad plays. Yes, the Wildcat pass was unconventional, but the D should have been well aware that Miami was going to throw out more wrinkles (they said as much pregame). And that screen pass breakdown was horrific.

Against really good teams, two big plays can often beat you.

Frankly, Miami did us a favor by playing this really close to the vest. I counted no fewer than 4 fourth-and-one situations that the Dolphins chose to punt on.

That said, I'll agree that the defense played much better today than they did in games 1-3. But that's a pretty low bar to get over.
Especially that 4th & one chain link situ that they decided to punt on.

And I do believe we're still giving up 30 pts/game on average.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read