Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2008   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is up with the empty seats?

Can someone who goes to the games explain what the deal is with all the empty seats? At the beginning of the game, the TV shots made it look like only about 25% of the seats were filled. Then, at the end of the game, there were huge blocks of seats empty.

As I understand it, all of the games are sellouts, so it's not like there are not ticket holders. Furthermore, if I were paying that much for a ticket, I can't imagine not actually using it for it's full time!

Plus, while I can sort of understand someone leaving a game early if it were a blowout (although last week's game should keep people in their seats, I would think), I can't imagine why anyone would leave early in a game as close as this one.

Seriously, I don't understand this at all. Is there some simple explanation I'm missing?
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is up with the empty seats?

Um...we've never had a winning season. We started the year off 0-4 and just had a devastating loss to the Colts.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Suits?
Old 10-12-2008   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was there before kickoff but left with everyone else after schaub apparently threw another pick, it looked like a pick to me, was disappointed to hear the texans won when I walked out on them, oh well
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of people left right before that 2 minute drive there at the end. Also, many people come in late.

I heard on 610 that the official attendance was 70,000ish... the seat capacity is 71,500. That's almost a full house.
Old 10-12-2008   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I was there the entire game.
Houstonians have never been punctual.
There were quite a few people who left in the 4th quarter. Both after Miami scored and after Schaub threw a pick that was later called an incomplete pass.

I can't argue with people who leave early. You pay the money, it's your choice and this team hasn't shown a whole lot to root for yet. Hopefully that will change.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anybody will ever accuse this fanbase of being "rabid" and "loyal".
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2008   #8
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rockets fans never learned their lesson after 13 in 33 sec. either. It's a Houston thing really. Not ever gonna change.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #9
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston fans are fairweather always have been always will be. When the Texans become consistant winners it will be the in thing to be at the games until then only the diehards show up every week.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i show up every week

ANd TBO i was dissopented in the Crowd noise some of are fans are familys and dont make much noise or are to embressed for some reason

tho the roof was open and its much louder when its closed but sometimes i just wish we would have a phlly or Pittsburg like atompheres
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #11
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't think anybody will ever accuse this fanbase of being "rabid" and "loyal".
Sure, they have only sold out every single game and have never had a winning record. Have you been to a game? I have been to every game but 2. It is surprising there are as many cheering fans each week as there are. A person can only get kicked in the crotch so many times and still come back the next week and ask for more.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, lots of empty seats as per usual.

It's going to sting a lot more next year - because there's no more TV blackout protection after this season. We're going to have to win early and often to see the games on TV in Houston.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #13
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Rockets fans never learned their lesson after 13 in 33 sec. either. It's a Houston thing really. Not ever gonna change.
its the damn transplants, too. i'm sure houston had much more loyal and rabid fanbases back before everyone decided to move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

It's going to sting a lot more next year - because there's no more TV blackout protection after this season. We're going to have to win early and often to see the games on TV in Houston.
We only need to sell the seats though right?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #14
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 305 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

It doesn't matter how many seats are empty, it matters how many tickets are sold. We have had nothing but sellouts since we began.

I do have to admit that I don't know about today though...
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #15
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I heard on 610 that the official attendance was 70,000ish... the seat capacity is 71,500. That's almost a full house.
Paid attendance was 70K...the actual attendance was no where near this.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #16
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I was there the entire game.
Houstonians have never been punctual.
There were quite a few people who left in the 4th quarter. Both after Miami scored and after Schaub threw a pick that was later called an incomplete pass.

I can't argue with people who leave early. You pay the money, it's your choice and this team hasn't shown a whole lot to root for yet. Hopefully that will change.
If they want to leave...let them leave. As the Preacher Man once wisely said, "I paid for 60 minutes of footballl, I'm goona watch 60 minutes of football".
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll put it this way..
The seats may be empty, but that damn parking lot is FULL
during the games. I can see why Bud banned tailgating.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #18
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanmojo.com View Post
Paid attendance was 70K...the actual attendance was no where near this.
It still bothers me that the ownership hypes the paid attendance all the time and the place has a ton of empty seats when the game starts. I wonder if the blackout protection could mean that Houston might not even show its own team play even though I dont see that happening.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I'll put it this way..
The seats may be empty, but that damn parking lot is FULL
during the games. I can see why Bud banned tailgating.
wait a minute when did tailgating stop?
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #20
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 305 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
wait a minute when did tailgating stop?
He said BUD...as in when the Oilers were here...
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read