Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2008   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jason Babin vs Anthony Weaver

As we all know, our DE position opposite of Mario doesn't even exist. Weaver has been a colossal disappointment at DE. He's registered 1 sack in 2 years (34 games) with the team. Teams are constantly running their plays to the opposite side of Mario because there's no consistent containment on that side of the line. Our DT's look like they're not putting any pressure on the QB. But, it's my opinion that if we had an adequate DE opposite Mario, that would force the QB to step up in the pocket more often. And with that, he'd be within reach of the DT's. This would enable us to get more sacks, block more passes, & disrupt the QB's timing which should result in more interception opportunities for our secondary. The coaches said they felt Weaver would step it up now that he's recovered from his injury, but I haven't seen any improvement in his game. Have you? I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but I am curious as to why they haven't at least brought Babin in for a work out.

Now before some of you come in & spout off that Babin sucks, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. I know Babin hasn't done anything since he left here, but let's take a look at what he did when he was here.

In his first 2 years, Capers tried to convert him from a DE to an OLB. It was painfully obvious that it didn't work, but there was no question in my mind that he had talent. In his 3rd year, he backed up our big FA signing Weaver at DE on the opposite side of an injured Mario & still managed 26 tackles & 5 sacks compared to Weaver's 35 tackles & 1 sack while starting 15 games. Of course, numbers don't always tell the whole story, but they do give you a strong foundation to start with.

It's my opinion that Babin would be a nice upgrade to Weaver at DE & would give us that adequate DE to compliment Mario. During the preseason games prior to us trading him, Babin seemed to be ready to explode on the scene & had a real good preseason. If you've been watching the games, then you've seen Mario get within 1-2 feet of the QB consistently throughout the first 4 games. With just an adequate DE coming from the opposite side, that might be all it would take to help Mario close that 2 foot gap. Those 5 sacks coming from the other DE would look really sweet right now with the man beast on the opposite side, & I suspect Babin's sack numbers would go up quite a bit.

I don't know if Babin is still hurt or what the reason is, but I sure wish the Texans would bring him in & take a long look at him. But, that's just my opinion.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonbabi...e?id=BAB714004

http://www.nfl.com/players/anthonywe...e?id=WEA508538

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jason Babin vs Anthony Weaver

Quote:
I don't know if Babin is still hurt or what the reason is, but I sure wish the Texans would bring him in & take a long look at him. But, that's just my opinion.
He had no first step when he got here. He had no first step when he left here. And unless you know something I don't....he still has no first step. And I'm getting tired of posting it. Unvarnished truth...eh he went out with the garbage because the rumors that he was Kevin Greens clone were false. It was false when they drafted him. They were false when the released him. They are still false. He cannot rush the passer on this level. That's why.
Old 10-11-2008   #3
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
He had no first step when he got here. He had no first step when he left here. And unless you know something I don't....he still has no first step. And I'm getting tired of posting it. Unvarnished truth...eh he went out with the garbage because the rumors that he was Kevin Greens clone were false. It was false when they drafted him. They were false when the released him. They are still false. He cannot rush the passer on this level. That's why.
Are you saying the tackles & sacks he got just fell into his lap? Do you believe that Weaver is the better option? With Mario on the opposite side Babin doesn't have to be the quickest DE. He just needs to cause enough disruption to slow the play up long enough for Mario to get there. Weaver has proven he can't do that.

As for the reference to Green, I never brought his name up & in fact, I indicated that playing him at OLB was a failed experiment.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 10-11-2008   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Capers brought up Kevin green when he squandered....may I post squandered in reference to the Babins deal now ? the picks to move up and go get him and his potential. Well you were wondering. I posted back. Up to you to realize the truth bitting you in the . well you know where it's biting you. They ain't bring the guy back. Even at the Vet minimum. He has no first step. He can't beat even marginal athletes at OT. If you believe there is still hope...that's on you.
Old 10-11-2008   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin for Prez '08!
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 17092 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

babin sucks
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
babin sucks
nobody is saying he doesnt. the question is does he suck less than weaver.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2008   #8
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well, Capers brought up Kevin green when he squandered....may I post squandered in reference to the Babins deal now ? the picks to move up and go get him and his potential. Well you were wondering. I posted back. Up to you to realize the truth bitting you in the . well you know where it's biting you. They ain't bring the guy back. Even at the Vet minimum. He has no first step. He can't beat even marginal athletes at OT. If you believe there is still hope...that's on you.
Hello...., Capers doesn't work here anymore. I agree that the original cost to get Babin was way too expensive, but that has nothing to do with this conversation. That debt has been paid & can't be unpaid. Let it go.

If you want to talk about today's cost to the Texans, Babin could most likely be had for somewhere close to the veteran's minimum, whereas Weaver is the highest paid player on this year's roster.

But, I digress. While the cap hit is important, we need more bang for our buck than Weaver is giving us. From what I remember, Babin was just missing getting to the QB quite often when he was here. That's why I believe that Babin & Mario would compliment each other very well.

Yes, I do still believe there is hope for Babin & I don't mind it being on me. I've got broad shoulders & have no problem carrying the weight.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 10-11-2008   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 122393 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i've always liked babin and while he's never going to get much love from this forum, he was fairly effective with his hand on the ground and would be a major improvement over weaver. he'd cost next to nothing and has experience with several players and coaches already here.
Old 10-11-2008   #10
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Seattle needs all the help they can get and the only stats I can find on Babin say he has played in 2 games and has 1 tackle!

Anyone here follow the Seahawks? Whats the deal, two games and 1 tackle!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i've always liked babin and while he's never going to get much love from this forum, he was fairly effective with his hand on the ground and would be a major improvement over weaver. he'd cost next to nothing and has experience with several players and coaches already here.
the question is, "is he an improvement over cochran, kalu, Thompson on passing downs... because Weaver is clearly a 2 down player and has been very good against the run so far this year and is certainly a better run dlman than babin.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Seattle needs all the help they can get and the only stats I can find on Babin say he has played in 2 games and has 1 tackle!

Anyone here follow the Seahawks? Whats the deal, two games and 1 tackle!
He was injured for most of last year & they cut him this year after 2 games to make room for Kerry Colbert (WR). He was their 3rd string DE behind Darryl Tapp & Lawrence Jackson.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 10-11-2008   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
He was injured for most of last year & they cut him this year after 2 games to make room for Kerry Colbert (WR). He was their 3rd string DE behind Darryl Tapp & Lawrence Jackson.
So Babin is out of the NFL ? Wonder if he's still got his home here ? And what about that exotic hunting ranch up north & east of Houston ?
But after Mario, why isn't Babin atleast as good as any pass-rushing DE we've got here ? Maybe better ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #14
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

While I don't think that Babin is the answer at DE. Nobody is going to convince me that he would not help our team as a 3rd down pass rusher. 5 sacks may not be that great of a stat but it sounds good right about now.

If Babin has no first step then what does Weaver have? A 3rd step?
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #15
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
So Babin is out of the NFL ? Wonder if he's still got his home here ? And what about that exotic hunting ranch up north & east of Houston ?
But after Mario, why isn't Babin atleast as good as any pass-rushing DE we've got here ? Maybe better ?
http://www.babinranch.com/index.php

Well, his web site is still up. It looks like he's got a lot invested in it. I would imagine he's still in business. If I remember correctly, someone said he got an offer from another team, but wanted to wait & see what other offers might come in. Is it possible that he's waiting for the Texans to give up on Weaver & make him an offer? Or, perhaps they told him they wanted to see how the fully healed Weaver worked out before making him an offer? Okay, maybe I'm reaching here, but at this point I'm desperate.

The Texans Bull Rush

Last edited by Hottoddie; 10-11-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2008   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 259047 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

IIRC, the reason we brought Weaver in was because we needed a real DE for the new 4-3 defense (n/m that he was from a 3-4). So how much money per sack has Weaver made?
Old 10-12-2008   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay Weaver sucks. THat's old news.

Someone please tell me why a thread is dedicated to bringing back Babin of all people just because he used to be a Texan was a total Bust of a draft pick? So you want to replace Weaver, but why on earth replace him for Babin?

I guess why we're at it we might as well go out and get Cory Bradford to help us out at WR as well or how about getting Buchanon to come back to replace Reeves?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #18
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So how much money per sack has Weaver made?
A big ass boat load.

The Texans Bull Rush
Old 10-12-2008   #19
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 17092 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
nobody is saying he doesnt. the question is does he suck less than weaver.
actually, they both suck. babin will always be a sore subject due to the trade they made for him. weaver is a sore subject due to his salary.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #20
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 122393 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Someone please tell me why a thread is dedicated to bringing back Babin of all people just because he used to be a Texan was a total Bust of a draft pick? So you want to replace Weaver, but why on earth replace him for Babin?
because with all things being equal, babin wasnt a great bust in houston (aside from the terrible trade up to get him). he played one year here as a defensive end and in 15 games as a backup totalled 26 tackles and 5 sacks (4 in each of his first two seasons). far from ground breaking numbers, but do we have anyone on the roster that's going to do that? last season weaver, kalu, and cochran combined for 4 sacks ... the starter leading with way with ZERO. while sacks arent the end all stat obviously, noone can argue that these guys spend their sundays in the backfield and babin regularly did.

he's not the best player out there, noone's saying he is. strahan's not coming out of retirement to be a texan, jared allen isnt going to decide the texans are where he really wants to be. what babin is, is an option out there who's more productive than what we currently have and for a much lower price.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read