Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2008   #1
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ronnie Brown & Miami's "wildcat" offense

Quote:
As the Dolphins expand their playbook, it's becoming more apparent their intent is to develop an offense that revolves even more around the versatile talents of Ronnie Brown.

The second overall pick of the 2005 Draft has become the triggerman in Miami's version of the "Wildcat" offense, and the results have been staggering. Brown has scored five times, thrown a 19-yard touchdown pass and twice topped the century mark in rushing in back-to-back upsets over the Patriots and Chargers.

The plan to cleverly deploy Brown was formulated in training camp, but his thumb injury delayed the process. With Brown healthy, the team is maximizing his unique set of skills by using him in various ways as the point in the single-wing formation.

In the Dolphins' version of the "Wildcat" offense, Brown takes a direct snap from center, and runs a read-option with the wingback (Ricky Williams), who is often in motion prior to the snap. The Dolphins further complicate the read by using one or two pulling linemen from an unbalanced formation.

The exotic formation puts defenses in a quandary. If they focus exclusively on Brown, he simply hands the ball off to Williams on a fly sweep around the corner. If they pay too much attention to Williams on the fly sweep, Brown keeps the ball and picks a hole up the middle. In addition, the Dolphins have sprinkled in some misdirection plays that allow Brown to run away from the side of the motion. Thus, it's not surprising the Dolphins have totaled 167 yards and five touchdowns in the 16 plays that have featured the formation in the past two games.
Rest of story

It is interesting to see a re-emergence of this 'old school' offense, and I wonder if Richard Smith is up to the challenge.

Brown appears to be healthy and running strong, so it's not going to be a walk in the park next Sunday.

We need to give our D another 12th man boost!
Old 10-09-2008   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ronnie Brown & Miami's "wildcat" offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We need to give our D another 12th man boost!
Or just figure out a way to get a 12th man actually on the field. Maybe Hoculi will ref that game... there's a good chance he'd miss that (or possibly call the 12th man foul on Miam-uh)
Old 10-09-2008   #3
Polo

I wouldn't be too worried about that formation if I were Richard Smith...Of course you have to touch on it and find a way to stop it when they do line up in it...

If they've only run it 16 times for 167yards times in 5 games that's less than 4 times a game for a little over ten yards a pop...I haven't watched a whole lot of Miami, but the clips I've seen of them running it seem to mostly be close to the goal line...

I'm more worried about their defense...
Old 10-09-2008   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

True, it is not an often used formation. But, Richard Smith is not a DC that seems to pick up on offensive wrinkles, as evidenced by his inability to establish plays a couple of weeks ago against Gerrard's runs up the middle (it was only a playoff game that he did it against the Steelers last season).

Miami's defense is improved and should give us concerns. But our offense seems to be coming together the past couple of weeks, so hopefully they can move the chains and keep up their momentum with some early scores.
Old 10-09-2008   #5
Polo

Quote:
True, it is not an often used formation. But, Richard Smith is not a DC that seems to pick up on offensive wrinkles, as evidenced by his inability to establish plays a couple of weeks ago against Gerrard's runs up the middle (it was only a playoff game that he did it against the Steelers last season).

Miami's defense is improved and should give us concerns. But our offense seems to be coming together the past couple of weeks, so hopefully they can move the chains and keep up their momentum with some early scores.

I definitely see what you're saying...

One question though:

We as fans have a sort of self-centered view when it comes to our sports teams. We think that our coaches and our players should be the ones to come out on top and if they don't then most of the time it's something we did wrong...

Is there ever a point where the other team was just better ?

Basically, is there anything differently that Richard Smith could have done to account for Garrad and all of his recievers with the talent that was on the field vs. the talent we were playing against ?

I didn't watch that part of the game, but I was listening to it on the radio and from my understanding he had a spy on Garrad, but some tackles were missed. Garrad has been a decent QB and he's done some good things against some good defenses.

Not trying to argue just asking if you think there is ever a time where something just couldn't have been schemed any better for given the talent we have on the roster.
Old 10-09-2008   #6
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

We cant stop the regular run as is. This is even worse!
Old 10-09-2008   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm worried about Miami's D because they run a 3-4 and we typically don't do well against 3-4 defenses. Now we have been running up the middle lately and so maybe we can exploit that part of their D.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2008   #8
Polo

Sloton's done well against 3-4's
Old 10-09-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I definitely see what you're saying...

One question though:

We as fans have a sort of self-centered view when it comes to our sports teams. We think that our coaches and our players should be the ones to come out on top and if they don't then most of the time it's something we did wrong...

Basically, is there anything differently that Richard Smith could have done to account for Garrad and all of his recievers with the talent that was on the field vs. the talent we were playing against ?

I didn't watch that part of the game, but I was listening to it on the radio and from my understanding he had a spy on Garrad, but some tackles were missed. Garrad has been a decent QB and he's done some good things against some good defenses.

Not trying to argue just asking if you think there is ever a time where something just couldn't have been schemed any better for given the talent we have on the roster.
It's usually a combination of both, actually, but I'd say there are plenty of times when it's recognized that the other team just made a good play and that's that. Example - Reggie Wayne's TD catch on the end-zone sideline on Sunday. We all bash on Reeves and to some extent Bennett, for the mistakes that they make, or when they don't even turn around for the ball when they're not looking at the WR, etc. In the play I'm referencing, however, Reggie Wayne just made a great catch. The CB could have maybe made a better play, but I doubt even that would have made a difference. That is one reason (of the many) I can't fault the defense for giving up that TD.

However, when you see Matt Jones just gash us on slant after slant after slant, you have to start asking, at what point does Richard Smith pick up on the fact they they're going to run a slant, and maybe drop an OLB into the area? How many times does Kerry Collins or Garrard have to take off running before you assign a spy? Smith sucks at making adjustments.
Old 10-09-2008   #10
KEYE SUX
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 KEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVPKEYE SUX was voted MVP

We should do fine against the wildcat offense since they only run it a few times per game? I mean, teams hardly ever run OBVIOUS fake kicks and we shut that down easy.
Old 10-09-2008   #11
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It's usually a combination of both, actually, but I'd say there are plenty of times when it's recognized that the other team just made a good play and that's that. Example - Reggie Wayne's TD catch on the end-zone sideline on Sunday. We all bash on Reeves and to some extent Bennett, for the mistakes that they make, or when they don't even turn around for the ball when they're not looking at the WR, etc. In the play I'm referencing, however, Reggie Wayne just made a great catch. The CB could have maybe made a better play, but I doubt even that would have made a difference. That is one reason (of the many) I can't fault the defense for giving up that TD.

However, when you see Matt Jones just gash us on slant after slant after slant, you have to start asking, at what point does Richard Smith pick up on the fact they they're going to run a slant, and maybe drop an OLB into the area? How many times does Kerry Collins or Garrard have to take off running before you assign a spy? Smith sucks at making adjustments.
I understand what you're saying, but how much of that is based on your perception of the situation?

How do we know that it was the defensive scheme that was allowing Matt Jones to continuously make catches?

You talk about dropping linebackers into that area, but that means you're going to make yourself vulnerable somewhere else...

We've got a lot of players on defense that have been lacking some key components to their game (speed, strength, smarts,aggresiveness, cohesiveness)...How can he scheme around all of that with his lack of resources against good offenses, when good defenses have their own troubles with these same offenses ?

How many times did Kerry collins abuse us by running the ball ?

And there was a spy on Garrard...

Last edited by Polo; 10-09-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2008   #12
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Wildcat offense or not, I don't think that the idea of facing a Richard Smith defense is keeping any OC's up at night.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Wildcat offense or not, I don't think that the idea of facing a Richard Smith defense is keeping any OC's up at night.
I think so. But unfortunately he keeps them up for all the wrong reasons.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
It's a very good question, and reminds me of a recent radio show interview with DeMeco Ryans within the past couple of weeks. Somebody called in and asked why we don't blitz more. DeMeco basically said that we don't have the personnel to get away with a more aggressive blitz-oriented playcalling. It didn't come across like he was calling out his fellow defenders. It sounded (to me) like an honest answer that we shouldn't try to play a style that we are not geared towards.

So, yeah, the Gerrard play is definitely one that could be considered as being beaten by a better team. And that fact was driven home after watching a replay of last year's playoff game with the Jaguars and Steelers. 4th and 2 inside the two minute warning, Jax trailing by 1, and Gerrard ran the exact same play of dropping back, finding no open man, and running. He ended up getting around 30 yards on that play to set up the FG. Obviously, the Steelers are a much better team than the Texans and they got beat by the same play, too. I have a lot of respect for Gerrard. It is probably saying something about our team that we were able to hang with them into an OT situation.
Old 10-09-2008   #15
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And there was a spy on Garrard...

I finally looked back(sometimes it's hard to watch after a loss) on the Jax game and your right on the TD play it looks like they had Demps and Okoye spying on Garrard but Okoye just missed the tackle. On the 4th and 8th play they didn't though.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #16
Polo

Quote:
It's a very good question, and reminds me of a recent radio show interview with DeMeco Ryans within the past couple of weeks. Somebody called in and asked why we don't blitz more. DeMeco basically said that we don't have the personnel to get away with a more aggressive blitz-oriented playcalling. It didn't come across like he was calling out his fellow defenders. It sounded (to me) like an honest answer that we shouldn't try to play a style that we are not geared towards.

So, yeah, the Gerrard play is definitely one that could be considered as being beaten by a better team. And that fact was driven home after watching a replay of last year's playoff game with the Jaguars and Steelers. 4th and 2 inside the two minute warning, Jax trailing by 1, and Gerrard ran the exact same play of dropping back, finding no open man, and running. He ended up getting around 30 yards on that play to set up the FG. Obviously, the Steelers are a much better team than the Texans and they got beat by the same play, too. I have a lot of respect for Gerrard. It is probably saying something about our team that we were able to hang with them into an OT situation.
Coaches depend on players on game day more than people realize I think...
My coach used to tell us all the time that we need to speak up about things that are going on on the field because we have a different perspective and might be picking up on different things that players are doing...He'd always be asking for our input...

We even suggested plays and a lot of times we ran them...

The Slant plays by Jones: Why do we assume Richard Smith's Scheme is poor vs Is there anything that the cornerback could have done to react faster or is there anything that he could have picked up on to let him know the slant was coming ?

With so many things going on, it's just hard for me to blame a defensive breakdown on the co-ordinator...He can't account for every possibility...

Yes there are some blatant situations in which a co-ordinator f'ed up, but honestly I haven't seen a lot of that with Smith...

Yes it's true that his scheme isn't complex, but I have to wonder how much of that is because of personnel...

Either way, when something goes wrong, I think a lot of fans feel like there's something 'we could have done differently'...

I'm not sure that's always the case...

Just because they beat us one way doesn't mean they couldn't have beat us another way if we'd have called something different...

Jump on Smith for his simple schemes and weird DE's in pass coverage packages, but I just don't think that he's all that bad when I consider everything....He's definitely not a GREAT coordinator, but I think he takes more lumps than he really deserves...Just my two cent
Old 10-09-2008   #17
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I finally looked back(sometimes it's hard to watch after a loss) on the Jax game and your right on the TD play it looks like they had Demps and Okoye spying on Garrard but Okoye just missed the tackle. On the 4th and 8th play they didn't though.
Yeah...I tried to explain that at the time, but a lot of folks pretty much glossed over that and just said Smith did nothing about it...
Old 10-09-2008   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I hear what you're saying Polo, but vs. the slants, you have to make that adjustment. If that play is killing you and you drop a LB into zone coverage there, you're weakening yourself against the run, basically. But at least you're in the chess game now instead of just watching the opposing team pick off your pieces.

Smith didn't make the Jags work for it. The Jags knew they had their fail safe plays and they ran them until the Texans stopped it, which was never.
Old 10-09-2008   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

What he said.
Old 10-09-2008   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the real deal. I've got a bunch of Dolphins fan friends and I watch them every week. This package is the real deal. I would like to point out that rarely if they ever have handed off to Ricky for the end around. Usually Ronnie just keeps it, everytime I have seen it anyway. It will not be easy stopping this.

Quote:
I wouldn't be too worried about that formation if I were Richard Smith...Of course you have to touch on it and find a way to stop it when they do line up in it...

If they've only run it 16 times for 167yards times in 5 games that's less than 4 times a game for a little over ten yards a pop...I haven't watched a whole lot of Miami, but the clips I've seen of them running it seem to mostly be close to the goal line...

I'm more worried about their defense...
Except the one that Ronnie took 40+ yards after TRUCKING Merriweather of UM fame.

I've seen them run it in all kinds of downs and distances, and all kinds of spots on the football field. We will see this in the game, and we need to know that it works and is not just some gimmick formation.

OH YEA, and they threw from this formation. Ronnie threw a touchdown to their TE. That was the game against the Pats in which case Ronnie had 4 rushing TDs and a passing TD. Same game they introduced this formation.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read