Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2008   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Not just Sage

You know people forget that we were up 27-10 and had Indy with 4th and 7 @ our 8 yard line. At that point a stop there and we win that game. Of course in a situation like that, our defense gives up a TD.

Now I know we can talk about how well the defense did all day long in that situation but Sage did well all day as well, before all hell broke loose.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #2
Polo

Default Re: Not just Sage

When our defense holds Indy to 10 points for most of the game after giving up those 10 almost immediately and then makes Indy work like crazy and making them go all the way to their last down just to score 17 I'm not going to complain.
Old 10-09-2008   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I just have to say it because it has been eating at me.

SAGE effed up

Listen, I don't care if we were up 27-0 and he was 30 of 30 for 400 yards and 3 TDS. The fact remains that 3 turnovers were on his watch and he lost the game. QBs aren't ranked or held to standards consisting of 3 quarters and then some bad minutes. They are held to a standard of full games. So you can't take 56 minutes and just act like that is how he plays. You take the full 60. Just like the Titans game last year. People were like..."did you see Sage bring us back?" Yeah he had thrown something like 4 interceptions to get us in the hole to start. It all counts. With his good comes many turnovers.

The defense did what they had to do against a good team. One person didn't/

Whew..I feel better
Old 10-09-2008   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 298214 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was going with the same point Polo made. I have no problems with our defensive effort last Sunday. Holding the Colts to 10 points until late in the game is indicative of a unit that is coming together. I can't be upset in any way with their last game. Hopefully they extend it forward against Miami.

Sage is the sole reason we lost that game.
Old 10-09-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I am as critical of our defense as anyone and the fact that they can't stop anyone... Also, I am not big on pinning a loss on any one player.

With that said, the defense played well and I blame Sage and only Sage.
Old 10-09-2008   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

It boggles my mind that people refuse to accept that sage f%$#-ed up....

The loss is squarely on him not:

Kubiak, b/c obviously he doesn't go out there & play & 2, b/c on the helicopter spin play at least, the initial play kubes called was wide open, Sage just made the wrong decision & tried to be bob beamon instead of sliding or running out of bounds.

The defense: simply b/c if u asked any defensive person in the league if they'd be happy with limiting any offense to 10 points much less the colts, for 56 min on any given sunday, they'd say yes.

the o-line - sage was barely touched the entire game & on his 2nd fumble he just held the ball too long, you're outside of the pocket sage either run or throw it out of bounds!!!!! Plus, you were flushed out of the pocket for a reason, you've got to have more awareness & know that they're still coming after you!!!

they played a helluva game until he started screwing up..end of story, period.

Last edited by Mr teX; 10-09-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I failed to put the disclaimer that I'm not defending Sage. I just want to look at the team as whole. I do agree that Sage's mistakes made this happen. I just wanted to get everyone's perspective and to bring that up.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2008   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, the drive took 4 1/2 minutes of clock. The D forced them to drive, with out letting them to get out of bounds. One hell of an effort, though, Id like us to stop 1 4th down
Old 10-09-2008   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

to play good defense most of the game, but to turn to swiss cheese when it really matters is almost as bad as what Sage did.

at least Sage was trying hard to win...for that I can't fault him. I still place the blame at his feet, but if the D had held one more time, perhaps Sage wouldn't have felt the need to try and make the miracle play he tried to make?

I dunno. It's a new week as far as I'm concerned, and I can only hope the team has put Indy behind them and that they're focused on Miami now.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #10
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

If anyone watches inside the NFL on showtime.

Cris Collinsworth first stated how he thought sage blew the game. THEN he went back and re-watched the game and corrects himself to say that sage was playing lights out football.

Take his opinion as you want, but b/w him and Mark Schlareth on ESPN i say they're the best.
Old 10-09-2008   #11
rdroppa
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 rdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden coverrdroppa could be on the next Madden cover

OK, he screwed up but here is a guy who has trying to get the starting job for how long? The helicopter jump showed more heart then I've seen from Schaub in 2 seasons. The real screw up was the next series when he did not protect the rock. I say start him again....he can only get better !!!!!
rdroppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post

Cris Collinsworth first stated how he thought sage blew the game. THEN he went back and re-watched the game and corrects himself to say that sage was playing lights out football.

Take his opinion as you want, but b/w him and Mark Schlareth on ESPN i say they're the best.
56 minutes maybe of "lights out" football. Thanks but no thanks I'll take 60 minutes of solid football then 56 of "lights out" in Collinsworth's world.

Quote:
OK, he screwed up but here is a guy who has trying to get the starting job for how long? The helicopter jump showed more heart then I've seen from Schaub in 2 seasons. The real screw up was the next series when he did not protect the rock. I say start him again....he can only get better !!!!!
Yeah he can only get better after such a historic collapse.Keep those expectations low!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
to play good defense most of the game, but to turn to swiss cheese when it really matters is almost as bad as what Sage did.
at least Sage was trying hard to win...for that I can't fault him. I still place the blame at his feet, but if the D had held one more time, perhaps Sage wouldn't have felt the need to try and make the miracle play he tried to make?

I dunno. It's a new week as far as I'm concerned, and I can only hope the team has put Indy behind them and that they're focused on Miami now.
Turn into swiss cheese? The Colts went on a 4 minute drive or something. It was still a 10 point game and we got the onsides kick. You can't exactly give a team like the Colts a short field and no field at all after battling all game. One guy lost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdroppa View Post
That makes no sense. Last season Schaub was playing like his 3rd and 4th start with pretty much bum legs and he fught threw it. I can't believe the excuses. Diving in the air isn't ballsy, it is stupid and it blew a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
56 minutes maybe of "lights out" football. Thanks but no thanks I'll take 60 minutes of solid football then 56 of "lights out" in Collinsworth's world.
Thanks for saying it. As I said above you can't compartmentalize it. Thats like discounting a bad 2nd quarter where the opponent took a 21 pt lead but saying they were great besides it. NO, you aren't great. Great is a full 60 minutes.
Old 10-09-2008   #14
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

"Swiss cheese?" Are you kidding? The defense gave up one drive of consequence after the first quarter--when they were up by 17 and the objective was to make the Colts eat clock. Obviously, the better result would have been a stop, but Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning for a reason. Still, the D forced to Colts to burn half of the remaining clock (8:11 down to 4:04) to get the tying TD. (Aside on that tying TD: get used to hating Tom Santi. When the Colts got him in the 7th round, I groaned. He is perfect for them--if Dallas Clark demands too much money, the Colts can now let him walk without missing a beat.)

To say the least, the D bears no responsibility for the Rosencopter play.

The last TD: I can't put too much blame on a unit that was asked to hold Indy scoreless from their own 20. At the time, I was thinking that a quick Colt score was the only chance we had to pull the game out. Of course, that could only happen if a certain QB decided not to finish the turnover trifecta. We know what happened there.

If our defense plays the way they played against Indy--fourth quarter included--this team is going to rack up a lot of wins. A lot.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll tell you what the problem is-

Its' been too long since the Texans have had a regular season game @ home (DEC 30 2007). thats about three weeks short of 10 freaking long months!!!!

From watching the playoffs (teams playing we know that we should beat like Indy, Tennessee & Jacksonville) thru the Superbowl (a Giant team out of nowhere the Texans went up there just a couple years ago & beat) through the Combine workouts, Mock Drafts & Draft to Off season free agency, mini/training camps, pre-season now regular season that IKE spoils (scheduled home opener) to 4 games into the regular season & it all rests on Sage Rosenfels broad shoulders?

People need to calm down, realize where we've been & smell the coffee before tearing someone a new _______

Regardless the outcome I saw a man out there giving 110% trying to help his team win, frustrating as that turned out in the end I'm not going to bash that effort or harp on what might have been because its in the books & we have our 2nd game in 9 months/two weeks coming up this Sunday @ Relient

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #16
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'll tell you what the problem is-

Its' been too long since the Texans have had a regular season game @ home (DEC 30 2007). thats about three weeks short of 10 freaking long months!!!!

From watching the playoffs (teams playing we know that we should beat like Indy, Tennessee & Jacksonville) thru the Superbowl (a Giant team out of nowhere the Texans went up there just a couple years ago & beat) through the Combine workouts, Mock Drafts & Draft to Off season free agency, mini/training camps, pre-season now regular season that IKE spoils (scheduled home opener) to 4 games into the regular season & it all rests on Sage Rosenfels broad shoulders?

People need to calm down, realize where we've been & smell the coffee before tearing someone a new _______

Regardless the outcome I saw a man out there giving 110% trying to help his team win, frustrating as that turned out in the end I'm not going to bash that effort or harp on what might have been because its in the books & we have our 2nd game in 9 months/two weeks coming up this Sunday @ Relient
Here is my problem. With the exception of some players that might jake it...aren't all QBs we have "giving their all?" I just don't get the excuses because the guy is nice and played well for awhile. Schaub had 300 and 3 TDs with no turnovers and didn't get a win and people weren't exactly feeling sorry for him. My point is, turnovers equalled loss. End of story. You are right, it happened. If this is the mentality then give all these guys a break...but it won't happen. I just don't get why he is deserving of excuses. We should just support the team and move forward with who is playing...probably your point.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 10-09-2008 at 01:49 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post

i normally like Collinsworth but he's wrong here. there's a reason it's never happened & that's b/c You have to try really hard to lose a game like we did.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

START SAGE!!!

Old 10-09-2008   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
START SAGE!!!

TB
Old 10-09-2008   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage deserves some kind of award from his teammates. Not only did he lose the Indy game for the team, he did it with such spectacular style that he has become a target of the focused wrath of the fan base. He makes the perfect scapegoat so everyone can forget the other three teams the Texans lost to through various combinations of apathy, ineptness, and stupidity.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read