Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2008   #1
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Redo--Not Just Hindsight.

I posted this on the other boards, and I've been thinking it all week. Just wanted to get it out here too:

Here's what I would have done:

After the first time that Sage held out the ball trying to get a first down near the endzone (he didn't lose it that time), I would have chewed him out for that and told him that if he did it again he was out.

2 possible outcomes of this:

1) Sage doesn't pull that crap anymore and we win.

2) Sage pulls the same crap on the first fumble with the helicopter spin and we give up a TD the other way. Still ahead by 3 (27-24). At this point, I bench Sage. I'm not kidding. I would have, and since Schaub was sick, I would have put Owen Daniels at QB and let Bruener play TE. I would have told Sage he was having a meltdown and that I won't let his meltdown cost the team this game. This is not just hindsight. I was thinking it at the time. I would just let OD hand off to the RB a lot, and I would have called those rollouts, just like Kubiak did, but OD would be running with the ball (hopefully with our FB in front of him). OD would be specifically told to NOT throw the ball EVER. NO TURNOVERS. WE WIN. Sage is forgiven for his ONE turnover. NOT THREE.

This is not a call for Kubiak's head. I just think that pretty much all coaches should think of things like this more often.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Redo--Not Just Hindsight.

Heres the problem:

Lets say Kubes does do this, and OD makes some weird mistake since, oh yeah, he's never taken a snap at QB in the NFL.

Then EVERYONE is all over Kubiak "What were you thinking, Sage was doing SO well. He only had 1 messsed up turnover!"
Old 10-08-2008   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
At this point, I bench Sage. I'm not kidding. I would have, and since Schaub was sick, I would have put Owen Daniels at QB and let Bruener play TE.
Schaub was suited up and Kubiak said he would have gone in if Sage got hurt (or unspoken, yanked). Bruener was out with a hamstring so Dreesen would have been your TE.
Old 10-08-2008   #4
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not a call for Kubiak's head. I just think that pretty much all coaches should think of things like this more often.
I'm sure they all think of it, but the only ones who are dumb enough to act on it are the Lane Kiffins looking to get fired.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres the problem:

Lets say Kubes does do this, and OD makes some weird mistake since, oh yeah, he's never taken a snap at QB in the NFL.

Then EVERYONE is all over Kubiak "What were you thinking, Sage was doing SO well. He only had 1 messsed up turnover!"
How, is he going to mess up as long as he doesn't bobble the snap?

Old 10-08-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I didn't know Schaub was ready. He should have been put it after that first fumble.

Old 10-08-2008   #7
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How, is he going to mess up as long as he doesn't bobble the snap?
The routine is routine only because they practice it. How often do you think OD stands under center taking snaps?
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
The routine is routine only because they practice it. How often do you think OD stands under center taking snaps?
I don't know, but it doesn't matter now. I didn't know Schaub was a possibility.

Old 10-08-2008   #9
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I posted this on the other boards, and I've been thinking it all week. Just wanted to get it out here too:

Here's what I would have done:

After the first time that Sage held out the ball trying to get a first down near the endzone (he didn't lose it that time), I would have chewed him out for that and told him that if he did it again he was out.

2 possible outcomes of this:

1) Sage doesn't pull that crap anymore and we win.

2) Sage pulls the same crap on the first fumble with the helicopter spin and we give up a TD the other way. Still ahead by 3 (27-24). At this point, I bench Sage. I'm not kidding. I would have, and since Schaub was sick, I would have put Owen Daniels at QB and let Bruener play TE. I would have told Sage he was having a meltdown and that I won't let his meltdown cost the team this game. This is not just hindsight. I was thinking it at the time. I would just let OD hand off to the RB a lot, and I would have called those rollouts, just like Kubiak did, but OD would be running with the ball (hopefully with our FB in front of him). OD would be specifically told to NOT throw the ball EVER. NO TURNOVERS. WE WIN. Sage is forgiven for his ONE turnover. NOT THREE.

i agree with getting on his butt after the first almost fumble. not sure we win if you put daniels in. we go 3 and out then kick to ind with more than 2 min left down by 3. dont really feel good about our chances there.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #10
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres the problem:

You are telling me that the guy listed as our #3 QB doesn't get significant time in practice to take snaps. Looks like we are pretty well screwed if anything happens to sage, because it is a sure bet Shaub is going to be sick or injured again.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub was a possibility but why not snap it straight back to Slaton? He's done that at WV in the Spread offense so it's not that much of a stretch. Worse case scenario we take as much time off the clock and punt it away.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read