Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2008   #1
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sage turns it around?

Just wondering what you guys think. I know most of you guys would have cut Sage after the game, but what are the chances he redeems himself with another opportunity? I still think he is a solid backup who just made a bonehead decision. How many other players have coughed up the ball late in a game to cost their team a win - it's happened before.

Do you think when (not if) Sage gets another shot at playing he comes back with a great outing and turns a corner? Or do you think he is totally shot after this game and will be a shell of the player he was and could have been?

I'm pulling for Sage and I think he will become a better player from this - do you?
Old 10-08-2008   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage turns it around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
How many other players have coughed up the ball late in a game to cost their team a win - it's happened before.
What Sage did has not happened before. It was a historic meltdown.
Old 10-08-2008   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

He might get another shot. The Texans have historically been soft on holding players accountable for poor on field performance, with few exceptions.
Old 10-08-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm highly dissappointed with the decisions Sage made at the end of the game. It was a case of him playing so well the whole game, excited he was going to lead the team to victory against the colts, him thinking he/the team was invincible at that point, and tried to do to much.

I don't see Sage as turning the corner in the sense he becomes our starter and saviour, but I see him for what I think he is. He's still one of the best back up QB's in the league. I for one don't want to cut him at all. I don't see us being a better team by cutting him and bringing in another backup, and that's really what it boils down to.

Worst case scenario is that he's a stop gap QB for the team while we build up the Defense and the Offensive Line. I don't think he's the QB we want long term as a starter, but if he's forced into that position I think he'll do fine. I don't see him having another meltdown like against the Colts. Mistakes will be made, yes... but not the same ones. I think he was just excited and not thinking when he made "the leap". I doubt he'll ever do it again while he's on the Texans (esp. in that situation) b/c I'm positive the minute he got on the sidelines he realized that sliding, running time off the clock, and then punting the ball (giving the colts the ball at their 20) is not a bad thing at all. 3 minutes left with 80 yards for the Colts to go and down by 10 is okay.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Sage turns it around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I don't see Sage as turning the corner in the sense he becomes our starter and saviour, but I see him for what I think he is. He's still one of the best back up QB's in the league. I for one don't want to cut him at all. I don't see us being a better team by cutting him and bringing in another backup, and that's really what it boils down to.
That's how I feel.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #6
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage is just Sage, ask any Dolphin fan and they will tell you he always looked great when he came in as a backup but just has a history of making dumb mistakes.

He got damn lucky the ball was not stripped earlier int he game when he stuck the ball out over the pile! Does he not understand the difference in doing this to break the plane of the goal line in which case being stripped after it crosses is irrelevant vs doing it in the field of play? I like Sage as a backup and believe we are very lucky to have him I just dont think he is starter material. That said I still have questions about Schaub also, how is that for screwed up.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #7
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
That's how I feel.
Ditto - Sage played 50 or so good minutes and 10 bad ones. He's still a great backup, and I think he will recover quickly. He made boneheaded throwing decisions in some of last year's games, despite his 4-1 record as a starter last year, so the Sageicopter move he tried is just another example, except at a critical time and with an even more critical result.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2008   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage isn't going to turn some kind of corner following this experience. He's going to be the same player he has always been and that's not a compliment. He's got some talent, is very likeable, and tries very hard because he wants to be a starter in the NFL. It's his goal in life so he does everything in his power to prove that he's the guy who should be starting and it all works out pretty well until that moment in the game when he goes beyond the call of duty (and sanity) and chucks up that interception, locks in on his receiver and then gets the ball swatted out of his hand, or decides that the Rosencopter move is the best way to get the first down.

Rosenfels is not a physically gifted QB. He's not going to get down on his knees and throw a ball 60 yards in the air. He's not going to throw lasers all afternoon with pinpoint accuracy. His best shot at being a starting NFL QB is to be a smart game manager and he's demonstrated time and time again (Sunday with giant exclamation marks) that he lacks the discipline to do that. He can't be a "play within yourself" guy because when he gets excited the coaching goes out the window and his competitive nature and desire to win take over BUT they're writing checks that his talent level can't cash.

He. Has. No. Poise.

I'm tired to talking about our backup QB. He is Billy Joe Tolliver. He is Cody Carlson. He is friggin irrelevent for crying out loud. This guy is less than Jon Kitna and Jon Kitna can barely hold on to a starters job in this league. Sage won't even be given a chance to "change" after yesterday because nobody wants to be the coach on Monday morning explaining why their QB did some amazingly stupid crap AGAIN.

He's been in the NFL what? 8 years? He is what he is and the only problem with that is that the only person that matters who is still unaware of that is Sage himself. Everyone else with the exception of his loyal following in here knows what they're looking at.
Old 10-08-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry right now I'm currently looking up who we could've drafted in the third round from Minnesota when they offered that pick for Sage.

Let me see......Dan Connor was available. The Chiefs used that third rounder on J. Charles. Those two kind of top my current list. If nothing else I could be laughing at the pickfest festival thrown in Minnesota by Sage.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read